Bear With Us, Saraki Pleads With Nigerians Over Recession

The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki has lamented the current economic hardship being experienced by Nigerians, assuring that the Senate will collaborate with the presidency to find a quick and lasting solution to the economic crisis even as he pleaded with Nigerians to bear with the government.

Saraki also identified dialogue as a solution to the vandalization of oil and gas installations by Niger Delta militants. He emphasised the need for government to engage the militia in a dialogue to halt the incessant attack on oil facilities .

The Senate President spoke with newsmen in Ilorin, Kwara state Monday during his visit to the site of the proposed Sheik Muhammad Kamal deen University, Ogidi, Ilorin.

According to him,”I am confident that almost all local governments should be able to pay full salaries to their workers in the country. The message is to ensure through oversight that we ensure the executive gets all revenue due to it.”

Credit: Vanguard

Metuh Pleads Not Guilty To Destruction Of Evidence Charges

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arraigned the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh, before the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Maitama in Abuja, on charges bordering on destruction of evidence.

Metuh, who allegedly destroyed his statement which he made under caution to the operatives of the EFCC, pleaded not guilty to the two counts.

The offences were said to be contrary to sections 166 and 326 of the Penal Code Act.

Credit: Punch

Dokpesi Pleads Not Guilty To Money Laundering Charges

The proprietor of Africa Independent Television, Mr Raymond Dokpesi, has pleaded not guilty to a six-count charge of fraudulent and corrupt act preferred against him by the Federal government of Nigeria.

Mr Dokpesi was arraigned on Wednesday before a Federal High Court presided over by Justice Gabriel Kolawole in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.

He said he was absolutely not guilty, as the charges preferred against him were not true.

In count one of the charge, Mr Dokpesi and DAAR Investment and Holding Company Limited were accused of receiving public funds to the tune of 2.1 billion Naira from the account of the office of the National Security Adviser with the Central Bank of Nigeria for the funding of media activities for the 2015 presidential campaign of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) contrary to Section 58 Sub-section Four B of the Public Procurement Act, 2007.

In the other counts, Mr Dokpesi was also accused of collecting the said amount without a certificate of no objection to contract award duly issued by the Public Procurement Bureau and receiving payment for a purported contract without bidding for the said contract.

Having pleaded not guilty to all the charges, Justice Kolawole adjourned the hearing of Mr Dokpesi’s bail application to December 10.

Credit: ChannelsTV

Mother Of Convicted Army General Pleads For Mercy

Abimbola Davies, mother to Enitan Ransome-Kuti, who was convicted of alleged offences during the war against Boko Haram, a sentence that earned him a six month prison term and a dismissal from the army; is pleading to the Nigerian Army for mercy.

Mrs. Davies, 72, said her family would hardly smile again, not after Mr. Ransome-Kuti had been convicted and jailed for his role in the fight against Boko Haram – the first senior army officer to be so treated.

?”I wonder why they singled him out, and treat him in this manner,” the old woman, who retired from the Army Signals, said during an interview last Friday?.

“He has been wearing army uniform when he was 11 years old. You can imagine somebody that has been serving the nation for 40 years, that they now come to give this kind of judgment. I don’t know why.?”

When the news of the military’s verdict was broken to her at home, Mrs. Davies said she wept.

“It is his brother and his wife that were begging me, because I don’t know how my BP (blood pressure) just spring up immediately I heard the news,” she said.

“I was shaking, that how come? How can Boko Haram issue come and spoil somebody’s career? Somebody that has been serving the nation for 40 years.

“Right from NMS (Nigerian Military School), he was Drum Major there. And he’s one of the best students there. Many people liked him, teachers, everybody.

“He does the work as if the work belongs to him. That is why I wonder why they would come and judge him this way. I felt bad, I cried, I wept bitterly.?”Mrs. Davies insisted her son would never abscond from his duty post, adding that Mr. Ransome-Kuti had been fighting the insurgents since 2009.

?”He doesn’t come home often, because they post him from one end to another, far in the north there?. They don’t bring him to Lagos, it’s that north that they have been taking him to,” Mrs. Davies said.

“And when this thing started, when he was the commander of one unit at Nguru, he was the one that led his men that they drove these people away. They faced them and drove them away from Potiskum.

“He was the one that fought that fight and those people went away. Before they came back in full force. And they even called him to army headquarters to commend him for doing that work.”

She appealed to Yoruba leaders to intervene in the issue and help save her son.

?”I’m just appealing to the military authority and Nigerians to help us beg them to send him back to his work,” she said.

“To give him back his rank and let him go back to work, because he doesn’t deserve this kind of judgment.”

Credit: PremiumTimes

Nyanya Bombings Suspect Pleads Guilty

One of the suspected bombers of Nyanya and Kuje, both satellite towns in Abuja, on October 2, 2015, Abdulwaheed Nasiru, told a Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday that he was guilty of being in possession of 12 Improvised Explosive Devices and other materials used for making bombs.

Nasiru, 23, was the youngest among the five persons arraigned before Justice Abdulkadir Abdul-Kafarati on five counts arising from the multiple bombings, which left scores dead and many others with varying degrees of injuries.

The fourth count which Nasiru pleaded guilty to had to do with being in possession of 12 IEDs and materials used for manufacturing them.

The rest of the accused persons – Abdulazeez Muhazab (26), Ishiaka Salihu (25), Mohammed Jimoh (33) and Abdullahi Nasiru (34), however, pleaded not guilty to all the five counts preferred against them

Creditpunchng

FG Pleads With Ex-Militants Over May Allowances

The Presidential Amnesty Office has appealed to former agitators in the Niger Delta to be calm and eschew any act that would disturb the peace of the region.

The Amnesty Office, in a release by the Head of Media and Communications, Mr. Daniel Alabrah, said the appeal became necessary following the apprehension caused by the delay in the payment of the May 2015 stipends and in-training allowances to onshore and offshore beneficiaries of the programme.

It explained that the delay was occasioned by the ongoing transition process at the federal level.

It, however, assured beneficiaries that the funds for May stipends and other allowances had been released and was intact, but that the office was awaiting the required directive for disbursement in the absence of a substantive chairman of the programme or a Special Adviser to oversee the programme.

It urged the former agitators to reciprocate the good gesture of President Muhammadu Buhari, who in his inauguration address on May 29 assured of investing heavily in the programme, by maintaining the peace at this time.

It said: “This is a transition period. So it is important for citizens, especially the former agitators, to be patient with the new government, which needs time to settle down to the serious business of governance.”

The office also dismissed as untrue an allegation by some former agitators that the Director of Finance and Accounts, Mr. Peter Ayoola, was planning to divert funds meant for beneficiaries, saying such act was impossible given the strict accounting system in place at the federal level.

Creditvanguardngr

Xenophobic Attacks: Zuma Pleads For Jonathan’s Support In Telephone Conversation

President Jacob Zuma has had telephonic discussions with President Goodluck Jonathan of  Nigeria on recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa, according to a statement by the South African presidency.

The two Presidents reaffirmed the warm and cordial relations between South Africa and Nigeria and pledged that the two countries will continue to work together for the good of their peoples and the continent as a whole.

President Jonathan expressed his support for the efforts of South Africa to arrest the attacks on foreign nationals and to ensure the safety and security of all citizens, including foreign nationals and those from the African continent, in particular who bore the brunt of the attacks earlier this month.

President Zuma will attend the inauguration of the President-elect of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, General Muhammadu Buhari, next month.

Creditvanguardngr

Reduce Bride Price, Anambra Ex Governor Pleads With Igbo Parents

Former Military governor of old Anambra State, Col. Robert Akonobi (rtd), has pleaded with Igbo parents to reduce the bride price of their daughters so that ‘’our young boys can marry them.” ‘’To me, this topic (bride price) has been dealth with in the past by Ndigbo, who came out with a reduced bride price, to enable our young boys marry our young girls,” Akonobi said.

Akonobi also cautioned that men should study their proposed wives closely and longer before engaging into marriage because “once you marry, no one else can put it asunder.” He spoke at the industrial city of Nnewi, Anambra State during the traditional wedding ceremony of the daughter of a business mogul, Chief Louis Onwugbenu, Onyinye and her husband, Bosah Chukwuogo, weekend.

Nnewi was agog as dignitaries from all works of life trooped to the residence of Chief Onwugbenu for the memorable event. The dignitaries who were from both the military, political and manufacturing circles, including Col Akonobi, Hon. Clement Nwankwu, former member of the House of Representatives; Chairmen and Chief Executive Officers of Gabros International Limited and Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Limited, Chief Gabriel and Innocent Chukwuma respectively, among others.

The issue of high bride price was discussed extensively on the occasion. Hon. Nwankwu, in his own speech, prayed that Chief Onwugbenu and his wife would live long to enjoy the fruits of their children, especially those who married from outside their areas.

Also, speaking, Mrs. Onwugbenu expressed gratitude that her daughter’s hand was given out in marriage and prayed that her in-laws who came all the way from Awka to marry her daughter, would go back home safely. Father of the bride, Onwugbenu, in his own speech, said he had already blessed his daughter and her husband to go and make a good home.

Read More: vanguardngr

ISIS: Japanese Hostage ‘Not Enemy of Muslims’, Another Mother Pleads For Son’s Life

Mother of Kenji Goto, being held by ISIS, pleads for his life, as deadline for payment of $200 million ransom looms.

As the clock ticks down to the end of the deadline ISIS has given the Japanese government to pay a massive ransom, the mother of hostage Kenji Goto, appealed for her son’s life, explaining: “My son is not an enemy of Muslims.”

Junko Ishido tearfully explained at a press conference on Friday morning in Tokyo that it was freelance journalist Goto’s sense of justice that originally led him to work in the Middle East.

Read More: aljazeera.com