Xenophobic Attacks: Zuma Pleads For Jonathan’s Support In Telephone Conversation

President Jacob Zuma has had telephonic discussions with President Goodluck Jonathan of  Nigeria on recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa, according to a statement by the South African presidency.

The two Presidents reaffirmed the warm and cordial relations between South Africa and Nigeria and pledged that the two countries will continue to work together for the good of their peoples and the continent as a whole.

President Jonathan expressed his support for the efforts of South Africa to arrest the attacks on foreign nationals and to ensure the safety and security of all citizens, including foreign nationals and those from the African continent, in particular who bore the brunt of the attacks earlier this month.

President Zuma will attend the inauguration of the President-elect of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, General Muhammadu Buhari, next month.

Creditvanguardngr

Xenophobic Attacks: Zuma Should Take Full Responsibility, Falana Says

Lagos based lawyer and rights activist, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), has said President Jacob Zuma and his party, the African National Congress, should take full responsibility for the xenophobic attacks on black immigrants in South Africa.

The legal luminary, while reacting to the attacks in a statement on Monday, said the ANC had failed to address the rising wave of unemployment in the country, adding that there was mass disenchantment with the Zuma-led government.

He said, “Zuma’s economic programme has excluded the people from the dividends of democracy. Out of sheer ignorance, the masses have engaged in misdirected antagonism by unleashing mayhem on hapless Nigerians and others who have been driven out of their own countries.

“The xenophobic attacks are unfortunate but President Zuma should take full responsibility for the mess on the ground. Grand official corruption is on the increase in South Africa while waste of scarce resources is the order of the day”.

Falana also tasked the Federal Government on the need to ensure the evacuation of Nigerians from the country.

“Instead of risking the lives of Nigerians who are easy targets of xenophobic attacks, the government should bring them back home”, he said.

Source – Information Nigeria