BREAKING: Fuel Subsidy fraudsters sentenced to 10 years in prison

A Lagos High Court in Ikeja has sentenced Walter Wagbatsoma and Adaoha Ugo-Nnadi to 10 years in prison for fuel subsidy fraud.

 

The judge said the sentence would start to count from January 13, 2016.

 

She also ordered restitution for Ontario Oil and Gas, and asked the company to refund N754 million being the amount it defrauded the Nigerian government.

 

Details later.

 

Source: Premium Times

Subsidy Fraudsters Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison

A Lagos High Court in Ikeja has sentenced Walter Wagbatsoma and Adaoha Ugo-Nnadi to 10 years in prison for fuel subsidy fraud.

The judge said the sentence would start to count from January 13, 2016.

She also ordered restitution for Ontario Oil and Gas, and asked the company to refund N754 million being the amount it defrauded the Nigerian government.

Details later.

Robert Mugabe’s wife loses $1.3m to fraudsters

Suspected fraudsters have duped Grace Mugabe, wife of the president of Zimbabwe, $1.3 million in a diamond ring deal.

According to Africa Review, last year, Zimbabwe’s first lady said she ordered a diamond ring for her 20th wedding anniversary.

She made the admission in an affidavit filed at the high court in Harare, capital of Zimbabwe, where she is challenging an order for her to return houses she allegedly seized from Jamal Ahmed after the diamond ring deal went sour last December.

In April, Mugabe, often mocked in Zimbabwe for her penchant for expensive tastes, said she was linked to Ahmed by Zaine, the businessman’s wife, during a visit to Dubai.

She said she subsequently tasked the businessman to get her a 10, 07 carat diamond that would have been used to manufacture the ring for her 20th wedding anniversary with the soon to be 93 year-old ruler.

Mugabe transferred $1.3 million to Ahmed’s account but he allegedly failed to deliver the diamond or the ring in time for the anniversary on August 17 last year.

Mugabe’s wife said she demanded her money back after it became clear that she had been duped.

The businessman took the First Lady court in December, accusing her of seizing his property in Harare and threatening to harm him.

However, Mugabe denied seizing the property saying Ahmed was being investigated by the police for his alleged international crimes. She said she was only trying to recover her money.

“This was hard earned money saved over the years for this 20th anniversary. I cannot keep quiet,” she said.

“It’s a lot of sacrifice that my husband made from (our) farming and dairy business.”

She claimed that the businessman had promised to pay back the money and was surprised when he turned to the courts.

“The truth is that he spent the money,” she said in the court papers. “If he were honest, he should have refunded money rather than demonise me and my family.”

Mugabe said Ahmed had already paid back $120,000.

El-Rufai Raises Alarm About Fraudsters Impersonating Him

The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, on Monday raised the alarm that fraudsters are using his name to defraud job seekers in the state.

The Governor warned those applying for employment in the State Civil Service or contracts to be wary of such unscrupulous elements.

In a statement he issued through his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Samuel Aruwan, Governor El-Rufai said that security agencies were on the trail of the fraudsters.

According to him, the fraudsters specialised in duping persons under the guise of securing government appointments and contracts in the state for them.

He warned the public, especially those seeking jobs or contracts in the state, against the nefarious acts of the syndicate in order not to fall victim.

According to the statement, the fraudsters have been dropping a Bank account, with the name Martin Anderson and telephone numbers circulate through Facebook and other social network platforms.

Creditchannelstv

New NNPC Boss Raises Alarm On Impersonators, Fraudsters

The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Emmanuel Kachikwu, has raised the alarm that fraudsters have created phony accounts in his name on Facebook to defraud unsuspecting members of the public.

In a statement through Ohi Alegbe, the spokesperson for corporation, Mr. Kachikwu lamented that the fraudsters were using the phony accounts “to send all manners of scam letters and phantom contract deals cum cash solicitations to some highly placed contacts within and outside the oil and gas industry”.

“While we explore all options to arrest this menace, we wish to advise members of the public to disregard any such Facebook page purportedly belonging to the GMD of NNPC as he does not operate any Facebook account,’’ he added.

Read More: premiumtimesng

Fraudsters Alert: Chibok Girls’ Parents Warn Nigerians

The parents of the abducted female students of Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno, on Sunday alerted the public on the activities of some fraudsters using their names to defraud Nigerians and corporate bodies.

Yakubu Maina, the chairman of the association of parents of the abducted girls, raised the alert at a news conference in Maiduguri.

“We wish to alert Nigerians and corporate organisations on the existence of some individuals and organisations masquerading as parents of Chibok girls to defraud them of their money,” Mr. Maina said. “The call became necessary because this group have turned the agitation for the release of our daughters into a scam.”

Mr. Maina, supported by the secretary of the association, Lawan Zanna, lamented that the fraudsters often deceived some parents of the girls into attending their functions only to be duped.”

“We have realized that the whole thing has been turned into business by individuals who pretend to be fighting our cause,” he said. “Some real parents had been lured to attending meetings with highly placed individuals in Abuja and beyond only to discover that they have been short changed by these individuals.”

He said that 14 parents of the abducted girls have died due to heart related diseases.

“Fourteen parents have so far died since the abduction of our girls in 2014,” he said. “Most of them died due mainly to heart related diseases and trauma.”

Credit: NAN

El-Rufai Alerts Public Of Fraudsters Soliciting Funds In His Name

Kaduna State Governor-elect, Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, on Wednesday alerted the general public to apprehend any person solicing for fund in his name. The alert, sent out in a statement in Kaduna by Mr Samuel Aruwan, the governor-elect’s spokesperson, said such persons were criminals and should be treated as such. According to Aruwan, an impostor has created an e-mail address in the name of the governor-elect and is criminally soliciting money from the general public.

The statement reads: “Some fraudster with email address: nelrufai@hotmail.com claiming to be Malam Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai, Kaduna State Governor-Elect, has sent scam messages asking people to remit N150,000 to a Mainstreet Bank account. “This is not only a theft of identity; but case of fraud, impersonation and total misrepresentation of the person of the Kaduna State Governor-elect, Malam Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai.

“We are by this notice calling on the general public to disregard any electronic message and others received in this regard, it is criminal and not from the person of the governor-elect. “The public should not only disregard fraudster(s) impersonating Malam El-Rufai; but report him/her/them to security agencies or alert office of the governor-elect for prompt action.

“This is a clear case of impersonation as the governor-elect will never ask anyone for money in this way. Anyone that receives this kind of email request should know it is not from Malam El-Rufai but fraudulent elements. “The case has been reported to Hotmail and the relevant law enforcement agencies for further necessary action,’’ it stated.

– Source – www.vanguardngr.com