Some Nigerians on Monday faulted the decision of the Nigeria Communications Commission, NCC, to reduce by 25 per cent a N1.04 trillion fine earlier imposed on MTN for not disconnecting unregistered subscribers.
The NCC, last week, reduced the fine to N780 billion, with December 31, 2015 as deadline for MTN to pay.
But some aggrieved Nigerians on Monday criticized the NCC for the decision, describing it as a violation of the fundamental rights of Nigerians and a breach of sections of Nigerian laws and the Constitution.
“No Nigerian institution or public office holder has the absolute power to howsoever reduce the fine, without legitimate recourse to the Nigerian people,” the group, Concerned Nigerians, said in their particulars of claims filed along with a suit at the Federal High Court, Abuja.
In the class action suit filed on their behalf by an Abuja-based legal practitioner and civil rights activist, Timipa Okponipere, the applicants asked the court to declare the decision a breach of Part X, Sections 86-88; 142(3-4) of the NCC Act 2003; Section 36(1) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and Article 21(5) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights.
Accusing the NCC of conspiring with MTN against Nigerians, the applicants said the laws guaranteed the fundamental rights of Nigerians to fair hearing and freedom to dispose of their wealth and natural resources in the exclusive interest of the people.