Nigerian Soldiers Repel 10 Boko Haram Attacks In 2 Weeks– Theatre Commander

Nigerian soldiers repelled at least 10 different attacks by Boko Haram in the past two weeks, a military commander has said.

The commander of the ‘Lafiya Dole’ counterinsurgency operation in north-east Nigeria, Lucky Irabor, said on Thursday that scores of insurgents were killed in the attacks while a few soldiers also lost their lives.

Mr. Irabor, a major general, however said troops under his command are prepared to bring an end to the Boko Haram insurgency.

He called on Boko Haram members to give up their dying struggle and surrender to the Nigeria troops or face the bitter fate that befell their killed colleagues.

Speaking at a press conference in Maiduguri, Mr. Irabor said the troops in the past two weeks raided several camps of the Boko Haram around Borno and Yobe states during which a total of 801 captives were freed.

A total of 27 Boko Haram insurgents were also arrested by the troops during the raids, he said.

He said in the last two weeks, the Nigerian troops have been able to move “deeper into Sambisa Forest on many fronts, under its present Operation Rescue Finale.”

The operation rescue finale was launched last month as a continuation of an existing Operation Crackdown, which was aimed at rescuing all the Chibok girls and other hostages held in Sambisa forest.

Read More:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/217323-nigerian-soldiers-repel-10-boko-haram-attacks-2-weeks-theatre-commander.html

NAF Destroys New Boko Haram Camp, Repel Attack On Troops

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Tuesday destroyed a new camp being operated by the Boko Haram sect between Malam Fatori and Kangarwa in northern Borno State.

The attack which was conducted overnight followed an intelligence report that survivors of a similar NAF Mi-17 helicopter attack on August 20 had converged at the new location.

According to the Director, NAF Public Relations and Information, Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, the post-strike Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) mission also revealed that surviving Boko Haram insurgents converged at the new location.

This was followed up by series of follow-up Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions that led to the latest strike.

Famuyiwa said: “The air assault is expected to further degrade the capability of the insurgents while fostering the creation of the necessary enablement for own ground troops to operate.”

Read More:

http://thenationonlineng.net/naf-destroys-new-boko-haram-camp-repel-attack-troops/

Fierce Gun Battle As Soldiers Repel Boko Haram Attack On Borno Village

Residents of Dalori, a village barely few kilometers to the Borno State capital have been thrown into panic over a gun battle between soldiers and suspected Boko Haram terrorists.

Sounds of heavy gunfire filled the air late evening causing panic among residents of the university area and other residential areas closer to Dalori.

Spokesperson for the Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel Mustapha Anka, has confirmed the incident saying the situation had been brought under control.

Details of the extent of the attack is still sketchy.

Dalori is home to more than 20,000 internally displaced people evacuated from Bama local government of the state.

Credit: ChannelsTv

Nigerian Troops Repel Fresh Boko Haram Attack in Adamawa

Soldiers on Monday night repelled a daring offensive by gunmen suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect bent on taking over Gombi Town, some 120 kilometres away from Yola, Adamawa state capital.

This was disclosed by residents and security sources. Gombi was recently recaptured from the terrorists and has witnessed incessant attacks by Boko Haram.

The casualty from Monday’s attack was yet to be ascertained although sources say that several insurgents were killed during the battle that lasted for hours.

“The men came in from Goloso, Garkida villages through Biu road about 6:30 p.m. in a motorcade and vehicles,” a resident, Bello Abubakar, said. “They engaged soldiers in a gun battle.” Mr. Abubakar said many residents ran and hid themselves as the shooting continued for over two hours.

“There was apprehension and pandemonium in the town,” he said. “People scampered for their lives for fear of uncertainty.”

Credit: PremiumTimes

Boko Haram: How Vigilantes Helped Repel Maiduguri Attack

Vigilantes joined Nigerian security forces in fighting to blunt a Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri, the capital of northeastern Borno state, after the Islamist insurgents gained access to the city.

The army was doing a ’’mopping-up operation’’ after regaining control of Maiduguri and the town of Konduga, about 20 miles (35 kilometers) away, Major-General Chris Olukolade said in a statement late on Sunday. Meanwhile, Boko Haram insurgents captured Monguno, a town north of Maiduguri, vigilante member Ibrahim Hassan said by phone from Maiduguri.

Read More: businessweek.com/news

 

Nigerian Army Claims Rare Victory Against Boko Haram

The militant group Boko Haram attacked a major Nigerian city early Sunday in what appeared to be its most ambitious attempt to gain territory. But Nigeria’s military drove back the insurgents with an air and ground attack, killing about 200 fighters, according to military officials. It was a rare victory in the country’s fight against the militant insurgency.

Boko Haram attacked Maiduguri, the capital of Nigeria’s Borno state, on several fronts Sunday morning, triggering heavy fighting as the army scrambled to defend the city. Fighting raged through the night, according to local media. The attackers also took over the town of Monguno to the north, gaining control of a military base and ammunition store, and attacked several villages farther south, in Adamawa state.

Nigerian defense headquarters Sunday announced a 24-hour curfew in Maiduguri. “FLASH: Troops are repelling a simultaneous attack on #Monguno and #Maiduguri by terrorists. Coordinated Air and Land OPs being conducted #Now,” the Defense Headquarters tweeted.

Read More: latimes.com

Soldiers ‘Capture’ Boko Haram Attackers, Seize Anti-Aircraft Guns

Reports provide that Nigerian soldiers on Wednesday morning, during the repel of boko haram insurgents in Biu, captured five Boko Haram terrorists and seized two anti-aircraft guns.

It was said that the capture happened after the troops foiled an early morning attack by the violent sect in Biu, Borno State.

Credit: Punch