Man Opens Fire On Praying Muslims In Switzerland

A man burst into a Muslim prayer hall in the Swiss city of Zurich on Monday and started shooting, injuring three men, according to police, who have launched a manhunt for the shooter.

A body was found a few hundred metres (yards) from the scene, an AFP photographer said, but it was unclear if it was connected to the shooting, which took place inside the city’s Islamic Centre, near the central station.

At around 5:30pm (1630 GMT), an unknown person entered the Islamic Centre, where several worshippers were gathered, and began shooting, Zurich police said in a statement.

He “fired several shots at the worshippers,” police said. “Three men, aged 30, 35 and 56, were injured, some seriously. The suspect then escaped from the mosque in the direction of Central Station,” the statement said.

Witnesses had described the shooter as a man aged around 30 wearing dark clothes and a dark woollen cap, witnesses said.

Read More: aljazeera

France Opens Refugee Shelter In Paris

Authorities in France have opened a 400-bed shelter for refugees in northern Paris, as part of a plan to organize asylum seekers from a slum-like facility in the port city of Calais.

The camp, which was opened Thursday, is designated for single men in particular and is located in a disused railway yard near the French capital’s train station, Gare du Nord.

It will be taking in 50 to 80 people a day, which is the estimated number of refugees that arrive in Paris from Calais on a daily basis.

“The idea is to create a place where every newly arrived migrant can be welcomed and offered dignified, humane shelter,” said Bruno Morel, the head of a charity foundation that runs the center.

Reports said a separate facility for families and women will open in the southeastern suburb of Ivry-sur-Seine in early 2017.

The Calais refugee camp, pejoratively referred to in France as “the jungle,” was dismantled last month, and the French government had promised to secure places to resettle the camp’s residents around the country.

It was home to some 6,000 to 8,000 refugees, including 1,200 children, mainly from Afghanistan, Sudan and Eritrea, living in dire conditions.

The camp had become a symbol of Europe’s struggle to respond to its biggest influx of asylum seekers since World War II.

Credit: presstv

Boko Haram Opens Radio Station

Boko Haram has established an FM radio station, according to a report monitored on the Hausa service of the Voice of America yesterday.
Residents in Tolkomari, which is in the far northern part of Cameroon, have confirmed receiving broadcast messages from the sect via the radio station on 96.8 frequency modulation.

The VoA report said the station broadcast mainly propaganda materials to counter media reports of victories by troops from Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon and Niger Republic against the Boko Haram militants.

The report said the Cameroonian government is worried by the new development and has commenced investigations towards locating the radio station, which is said to be on the Nigeria-Cameroun border.
Credit: dailytrust

US Opens Criminal Probe Linked To #PanamaPaper Leak

The US Justice Department has opened a criminal investigation involving the leaked Panama Papers on offshore shell companies, according to an official letter to the group that brought the records to light.

The letter from the office of Manhattan US Attorney Preet Bharara, obtained by AFP Wednesday, asks to discuss the investigation with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which worked with media outlets to reveal the documents.

The letter, dated April 3 and obtained from the ICIJ, said Bharara’s office “has opened a criminal investigation regarding matters to which the Panama Papers are relevant.”

His office said it “would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak as soon as possible” with someone from ICIJ on the matter.

The letter gave no information on the subject of the investigation, and was not a subpoena that would force the ICIJ to turn over any of the 11.5 million confidential documents leaked from Panama law firm Mossack Fonseca.

Access to the documents remains limited to a handful of international media organizations.

Reports from the ICIJ and the media groups based on the Panama Papers link a number of international leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, British Prime Minister David Cameron, and leaders and top officials in Ukraine, China and Argentina, to offshore shell companies that can be used to hide wealth and launder money.

Iceland’s Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson was also forced to resign after the documents showed he and his wife made use of an offshore company.

China/Nigeria Business Forum Meeting Opens

President Muhammadu Buhari, who arrived in China yesterday on a week-long visit, will begin his programme with the opening ceremony of the Business Forum of the China/Nigeria Production Capacity Cooperation.

The delegation will then leave for a visit to forbidden City, according to presidential Spokesman Femi Adesina.

On arrival yesterday, President Buhari was received by Mr Cheng, Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs along with other Senior Chinese Government Officials at the Beijing Capital International Airport.

Others who received him were Oyo State Governor Abiola Ajimobi , Ogun State Governor Ibikunle Amosun Yobe State Governor Ibrahim Geidam; Minister of Trade and  Investment Okechukwu Enelamah; Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi; Minister of Water Resources Suleiman Adamu and Minister of Defence Dan Monsur Ali.

Credit: nation

Read Buhari’s Position On Army/ Shiite Clash

President Muhammadu Buhari has dismissed insinuation in some quarters that the Federal Government was biased in the handling of the recent clash between members of the Shiite Islamic sect and the Nigerian Army in Zaria.

The president stated this in Abuja on Wednesday while fielding questions from journalists at the maiden edition of his parley with the media also known as the `Presidential Media Chat.’

He said it was untrue that the Federal Government had been silent over the incident, adding that the perceived silence was to allow the relevant authorities conclude their investigations.

According to Buhari, regardless of whoever is involved in such an incident, there is a standard way of conducting investigation that must be followed before conclusions are made.

“Certainly I know something about the incident; I ought to do something about it and in fact I must do something about it.

“When it happened I was in touch with the governor of Kaduna State; interestingly the President of Iran spoke to me about it but I told him that as a government we have a system.

“I told him that if anything happens in one of the states, the governor has to physically visit the area and we have a system of investigation.

“But as the head of the Federal Government, I have to wait for official report before I can come out to make a statement; so I am allowing the Army and the Kaduna State government to come up with their reports.

 

“I expect a report from a judicial commission of inquiry by the Kaduna State government because it happened in Kaduna in one of the cities,’’ he said.

Buhari frowned at the flagrant disobedience of law and order by members of the Shiite sect, especially for causing untold hardship to members of the public during their processions.

He said that complaints about the group’s activities which infringed on the rights residents of Zaria and other towns showed that many persons were tired of their actions.

Credit: Guardian

Akpabio’s World Class Hospital Opens 6 Months After Launch

The much talked-about “world-class” Akwa Ibom specialist hospital has finally begun operations, six months after it was hurriedly commissioned by former Governor Godswill Akpabio who left office May 29.

The hospital, initially known as the Akwa Ibom 20th Anniversary Hospital, is now officially called Ibom Specialist Hospital.

The hospital became a subject of controversy in September after Mr. Akpabio, now senate minority leader, travelled to the United Kingdom for medical attention after a car accident, abandoning the multibillion naira facility his administration promoted as being of world class standard.

Mr. Akpabio later said the hospital’s takeoff was delayed because foreign doctors billed to work there had not been cleared by the Nigerian Immigration Service to travel to the country.

He said the hospital would start off with 150 expatriates at once.

Some of the doctors are now in the state, and have been deployed to test run equipment at the facility.

About 25 foreign doctors have so far started work at the hospital while about 125 others were still being expected in the country.

It was unclear how many Nigerian doctors would be employed at the new hospital.

On Wednesday, doctors, mostly Indians, were busy carrying out medical examinations on the people who visited the hospital for treatment.

Credit: PremiumTimes

Amnesty International Opens Office In Nigeria

As part of its commitment to increase the impact of human rights work in Nigeria, global rights organisation, Amnesty International has announced the opening of its Nigerian office on Tuesday.

The new Nigerian office, which will be headed by M.K. Ibrahim, a former career diplomat, will bolster “ongoing campaigning and research on Boko Haram, military abuses, use of torture, forced evictions and the right to adequate housing and oil pollution in the Niger Delta”, the organisation said in a statement.

Amnesty International said it intends to “campaign with and mobilise civil society, activists and members across Nigeria”.

According to the statement, henceforth all responsibilities previously held in London will be transferred to the new Nigeria office in Abuja.

M.K Ibrahim will be assisted by six other employees to drive the organisation’s research, campaign and communications work addressing human rights violations in Nigeria.

Read Morepremiumtimesng

Drake Opens Restaurant, Serena Williams Was Present

The 28-year-old rapper had a low-key celebration for the opening of Fring’s, his new restaurant in his hometown of Toronto, and there was one very important guest.

Longtime friend and now rumored girlfriend Serena Williams was spotted entering Drizzy’s party, wearing stiletto pumps, a white skirt and denim top. Also in attendance at the opening were Jada Pinkett Smith and Jaden Smith.

No word if Drake’s restaurant will offer “filets with the truffle butter”, “scallops and glasses of Dolce,” or crab like the one he eats “out in Malibu at Nobu,” but the celeb did partner up with chef Susur Lee, of the restaurants Lee, Bent, and Luckee, and past contestant on Iron Chef and Top Chef Masters, on the venture.

Read More: eonline