Three Confirmed Dead, Many Injured In Maiduguri Twin Explosions

Three people have been confirmed dead in Sunday’s bomb explosion in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

An official of the local vigilante called Civilian-JTF, involved in the rescue and evacuation of victims of the blasts, confirmed the death to journalists.

“So far, three persons are dead,” Bello Danbatta told journalists on phone.

“It was a suicide bomb attack, we are trying to ascertain the actual number of those injured in the hospital now,” he added.

An official of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, also confirmed the casualty.

NEMA’s national spokesman, Sani Datti, said “three of the dead persons are female bombers, while 17 persons that were injured have been evacuated to hospitals in Maiduguri.”

PREMIUM TIMES earlier reported the two explosions on Sunday morning which occurred in a crowded area near Maiduguri’s main market.

The two blasts occurred in quick succession at about 8:48 a.m.

The police spokesperson, Victor Isuku, earlier said the explosions occurred near Old NEPA office, not far from the Monday market.

2 Soldiers Feared dead, 8 Others Injured as Fresh Bomb Explosion Rocks Borno

Following a bomb explosion along Banki, Usmanari, Kumshe road in Borno State, two soldiers of the 152TF Battalion of the Nigerian Army have been feared dead.

The explosion which occurred at about 8:10 a.m. this morning also left no fewer than eight soldiers injured.

According to the report, the explosion destroyed one canter truck, while the injured persons are currently receiving first aid treatment before they are evacuated by air to a hospital.

However, the Army has not released any official statement regarding the incident as at the time of filing this report.

This explosion is coming few days after Boko Haram insurgents killed Nigerian war hero, Muhammed Abu Ali and other soldiers in Borno State.

Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint

Inadequate supply of gas to the power station and explosions at transmission lines in the Lagos area and Jebba have resulted in a drop in electricity generation to 2,665MW.

With this development, the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) has directed the 11 distribution companies (Discos) nationwide “not to pick loads to avoid a system collapse”.

Data obtained from a source at TCN on the “Daily Load Analysis and Day Ahead Consumption” for yesterday showed that between 1 am and 6 am on Saturday, generation fell to 2,500MW.

However, between 6 am and 11.59 pm, the hourly dispatch to the Discos rose to 2,721.20MW, thus averaging 2,665.90MW for the whole day.

The chief executive of one of the Discos, who did not want to be named said yesterday that with the abysmally low level of generation, TCN directed the Discos not to pick loads to forestall a system collapse.

“When generation is very low like this, TCN tries to stabilise it and the only way to stabilise it is to balance the load. Right now, we can’t pick any load, otherwise there will be a system collapse,” he said.

TCN had at the beginning of this month announced for the first time that the country generated about 5,074.7MW of electricity.

The attainment of the new record peak generation as well as the highest maximum daily energy of 109,372 megawatts hour (MWH) was recorded on February 2, 2016.

Credit: Thisday

More Explosions In Borno Capital After Morning Mosque Attack

Another attack has been launched in Maiduguri, the insurgency-ravaged capital of Borno State, witnesses and security sources say.

They said the latest explosions were detonated by suspected teenage girls. Many people are feared dead, and several others injured, witnesses said.

Yunusa Abdullahi, a civil servant who live in Jiddari Polo area of the city, said aside the mosque attack, two girls detonated explosives at a neighbourhood called Buraburin.

“A man saw two girls walking around and he tried to caution them to be careful as it was dangerous for them to be wandering when the two girls detonated themselves, killing the man and some other persons,” Mr. Abdullahi said.

“Since last night, residents have been finding undetonated bombs believed to have been abandoned by Boko Haram gunmen.

“We are under siege and we don’t know how many of these bombs or these female suicide bombers were sneaked into Maiduguri.”

The Borno State Police Command could not be reached at this time to comment for this story.

Credit: PremiumTimes