Shiite Members Protest Detention Of El-Zakzaky At National Assembly

Members of the Shiite sect also known as the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, (IMN) on Thursday barricaded ?the National Assembly’s entrance protesting the continued detention of their leader, Sheik Ibrahim El-Zakzaky.

Leader of the protesters and Secretary of the group’s Academic Forum in Nigeria, Mr Abdullahi Musa, told journalists that they came to the National Assembly to find out what the lawmakers were doing about the continued detention of El-Zakzaky.

He alleged that many of their members were recently killed in Kano but that government seemed to be indifferent, and would want to hear from the lawmakers what they intended to do.

According to him, the group is worried that, in spite of submitting several letters to the National Assembly, it is yet to get any reply, while their leader continues to be kept in detention.

“This is the third time we are coming here. We submitted a lot of documents to the National Assembly but we are yet to get any response.

“We submitted the third batch of documents yesterday and we came here today to hear from them,” he said.

He also said that members of the group were concerned about the safety of their leader and wanted to know the state of his health.

“We do not believe in the so-called protective custody. We want him freed so that he can go for his treatment. What we ask for is that justice prevails.

However, no lawmaker was available to listen to the Shiites protesters; instead, the divisional crime officer-in-charge of the National Assembly, Mr Francis Anebi, addressed them appealing to them to be orderly.

El-Zakzaky was arrested after the Shiite group was involved in a bloody clash with the Army in Zaria.

The group was accused of attacking the convoy of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai while they were on procession in Zaria.

Detention: Bala Mohammed Sues ?EFCC For N100m

?A former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr. Bala Mohammed, has filed a fundamental human right suit before the High Court of the FCT against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over his continued detention by the anti-graft agency.

Justice Baba Yusuf, whom the case was assigned to has already fixed November 24 for hearing.

In his  15-paragraph affidavit filed in support of his suit, the applicant stated that he was invited by the EFCC to report to its office on October 24, 2016 in connection with investigation into alleged ‘lases of conspiracy, abuse of office and money laundering’.

The affidavit deposed to by Umar Aliyu Usman stated that the Mohammed voluntarily reported to the EFCC on October 24, 2016 and was immediately arrested and detained till date.

He stated that rather being released on bail, he was merely dumped and abandoned in the respondent’s cell since then, wherein he has suffered substantial deterioration of his health and untold psychological trauma and mental torture.

In the suit marked FCT/CV/220/2016 filed by his counsel, Chief Chris Uche [SAN], the applicant is praying the court for an order compelling and directing the EFCC to release him on bail forthwith or immediately arraign him before a competent court of law for trial.

He further sought a declaration that his arrest and detention his arrest and detention since October 24, 2016 till date by the EFCC is illegal, unlawful, unreasonable, unjustified and unconstitutional.

A declaration by the court that he is entitled to be released on bail by the EFCC [Respondent] pending the investigation of allegations against him pending any arraignment before a court of law.

The former minister further asked an order of court enforcing and restoring his fundamental right to personal liberty enshrined and guaranteed by section 35 of the 1999 constitution, which has been violated and is being violated by the respondent.

He asked for the sum of N100m as special and general damages against the EFCC for the illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional arrest and detention.

Credit:

http://punchng.com/detention-ex-fct-minister-bala-mohammed-sues-%e2%80%8eefcc-n100m/

Fani-Kayode Released After 24days In Detention

Former spokesperson of ex- President Goodluck Jonathan’s campaign organisation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode has been released from detention at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC cell and Kuje prison after spending twenty four days in these places. Fani-Kayode who was released Monday said he gave thanks to God and Nigerians who were with him during the travail.

A statement in Abuja Monday by his Media Advisor, Jude Ndukwe read thus, “After 24 days in detention at the EFCC and Kuje prison and after meeting all the conditions of bail that was granted to him by the Federal High Court in Abuja, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode has been released.

“He gives thanks to God for everything and he has asked me to convey his heartfelt appreciation and love to all those that prayed for and encouraged him and his family at this difficult time and indeed throughout this ordeal.

“He will now focus on getting the medical attention that he needs. He wishes to let all those that have offered him support and that have stood by him throughout this period know that his resolve to help build a better Nigeria and stand up for righteousness and truth remains strong.

“No matter what comes our way we trust the Lord and we believe that we shall prevail”

Credit:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/breaking-fani-kayode-released-24days-detention/

Continued detention stalls Fani-Kayode’s trial.

The trial of a former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode for money laundering before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos was stalled on Monday following his continued Defence in June prison.

Fani-Kayode, who was the former director of media and publicity of the campaign committee of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, is charged alongside a former minister of finance, Nenadi Usman, and Danjuma Yusuf by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on a 17-count bordering on money laundering.

At the resumed hearing on Monday, Fani-Kayode’s counsel, Wale Balogun, informed the court that his client was not in court due to his arrest at the last sitting on October 21 by operatives of EFCC.

He said EFCC had since then incarcerated him in Kuje prison.

“My lord, I recall that on October 21, I informed this court that the EFCC were planning an arrest of the second accused.

“And I remember that my lord advised that in view of his pending trial before the court, he should be invited here whenever the need arises.

“My lord, on the said day, after the court had risen, the second accused was arrested within the court’s premises.

“I requested for an arrest warrant from the leader who informed me that there was none to that effect but told me that the order was `from above’.

“The second accused was taken to the EFCC Lagos and kept till 5 p.m. when another order came from `above’ to move him to Abuja immediately.

“My lord, the second accused was kept in custody of the prosecution for 21 days without any word,’’ he told the court.

“He was finally arraigned on November 10 before your learned brother Justice John Tsoho in Abuja, on a five-count charge bordering on N26 million.

“He was subsequently remanded at the Kuje prisons and in view of this, we are helpless, as his bail conditions have not been perfected in spite of frantic efforts by family and friends.’’

In his response, the prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, told the court that he was aware of the arraignment of the second accused but added that his arraignment before the Abuja division of the court had nothing to do with the instant case.

He argued that the subsequent arrest of the accused was with a view to serving him with the charge and not to disrespect the court.

Mr. Oyedepo urged the court to grant an adjournment so as to allow the accused appear and stand trial.

Justice Muslim Hassan then ruled that “I will refrain from making any comment in relation to the arrest of the second accused in the court’s premises in spite of being granted bail.

“This case is adjourned at the instance of the prosecution to December 12, while the earlier date of November 15 is hereby vacated,’’ he ruled.

Abati Still In EFCC Custody, Unable To Meet Bail Conditions.

Five days after he was arrested, a former presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati, is still in custody because he is unable to satisfy his bail conditions, PREMIUM TIMES understands.

Mr. Abati, a columnist, was arrested on Monday by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on allegations of financial impropriety to the tune of N50 million.

When operatives questioned him about how he spent the funds, Mr. Abati reportedly said he disbursed it to media practitioners in his capacity as the spokesman for the Goodluck Jonathan administration.

But he said he did not keep records of the disbursement when queried for evidence.

The journalist was subsequently granted an administrative bail that requires presenting a senior federal civil servant —preferably a director— with landed properties in Abuja.

“He will be released when he meets his bail conditions,” a source within the EFCC informed PREMIUM TIMES Friday.

Also in EFCC custody is Bala Mohammed, a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, who was taken into custody shortly after Mr. Abati’s arrest on Monday.

But Mr. Mohammed’s case is said to be more complicated, and he may not be released anytime soon.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the EFCC has procured a remand order from a court to hold Mr. Mohammed for a while.

He faces allegations of land racketeering which EFCC said came in several petitions from citizens who dealt with Mr. Mohammed while he was a minister.

Mr. Mohammed was said to have sold government land to private individuals and received pay for the transaction in cash. PREMIUM TIMES could not independently verify those allegations claims.

 

Fani-Kayode Must Not Die In Detention– PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party has said a former Minister of Aviation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, must not be allowed to die in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

The PDP said the arrest of the former Spokesperson for the PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation was what it described as the latest in a series of plans designed to further harass and intimidate its members and supporters using the security and intelligence apparatus of the Nigerian State.

Spokesperson for the former ruling party, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, stated this in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday.

Adeyeye alleged that since his arrest, the former minister had not been able to take his medication.

He said, “What is not common knowledge is that at the time of his arrest, Fani-Kayode was ill and taking medication.

“Since his arrest, he has been denied access to his medication and medical doctors who are
conversant with his medical history.

“As of the time of writing this statement, officials of the EFCC have continued to deny Fani-Kayode access to his medication.

“The only conclusion that can be reached is that the All Progressives Congress- led Federal Government and EFCC want Fani-Kayode to die in detention.”

Adeyeye accused the EFCC of detaining “an obviously weak and ill man.”

He alleged that the the action of the commission violates the constitutional rights and freedoms of the Nigerian people, and called on the government to halt such action.

“The Federal Government cannot, and must not, be allowed to continually infringe on the rights of the very people it swore to uphold,” he added.

The former minister of works called on all well meaning Nigerians to urge the Federal Government to desist from what he described as “its path of human rights abuses.”

Credit:

http://punchng.com/fani-kayode-must-not-die-detention-pdp/

FFK’s Wife, Precious Chikwendu, Speaks On Her Detention At Access Bank In Ekiti

All along I’ve been mute in the face of tyranny and political madness dished out on my husband @realFFK and family from this government and @officialefcc becos it’s not my fight to lead but this stops today as I am getting in the ring as well. Since 3/5/2016 I’ve been in ur custody and in all your stupid investigations I was not accused till today?

Haba mbok fear God! This account was opened in 2005 while I faces while u had my husband in ur custody and in all your stupid investigations I was not accused till today?

Haba mbok fear God! This account was opened in 2005 while I was in the university and has been dormant from 2013 till early last month when I had to activate it cos you froze my other accounts with no explanations or invitation, yet this account holds nothing but 200k. So because of 200k my son Aragon and I were subjected to detention in a bank with the police and efcc waiting like sharks.

Thank God for Gov. Fayose and the people of Editing becos if they had not been there they would have bundled me and my son like animals and subjected us to God knows what. Had it not been for them there would have been no word out on this matter.

What a shame!! This government and @officialefcc are shameless to bring in women and children to the ring of their vendettas and fights. I’m not a politician or a contractor. I’m the apple of God’s eyes so underate me at your
peril. Meanwhile I’m here and as strong as titanium.

Court Fines SSS N5million For ‘Illegal’ Arrest, Detention Of Ekiti Lawmaker

The Federal High Court, Ado-Ekiti Division, on Wednesday fined the State Security Services, SSS, N5million for illegally arresting and detaining a member of the Ekiti State House of Assembly, Afolabi Akanni, who represents Efon Constituency 1.

Mr. Akanni was whisked away on March 4 by SSS operatives who invaded the House of Assembly complex for alleged breach of security regulations. He was eventually released on March 22.

Mr. Akanni was not in court on Wednesday.

His counsel, Obafemi Adewale, told the judge, Taiwo Taiwo, his client could not be physically present because he was still receiving “post-traumatic” treatment in a hospital outside the state.

Delivering his  judgment, the judge, noted that the Respondent, SSS, had all along failed to either deny or defend the position, facts and allegations of the applicant.

He said in the eyes of the law, “there is no basis for the court to believe that all that the applicant had alleged against the DSS were not true.”

According to him, Mr. Akanni’s fundamental rights as a citizen of Nigeria, as specified by the principles of the Rule of Law and the African Charter on the Rights of individuals, had been violated by the SSS in illegally arresting and continually detaining him for 18 days.

The court also granted three out of the four reliefs sought by the applicant’s counsel, which are, “whether the applicant’s unlawful arrest and detention is justified , whether the said intimidation, torture and continued detention is not a violation of his fundamental human rights and a violation of the Rule of Law, and whether the applicant’s is not entitled to damages”.

Credit: PremiumTimes

Dasuki’s Ex-aide Challenges Detention By EFCC, Army

Colonel Nicholas Ashinze, a former Special Assistant to ex-National Security Adviser (NSA) Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd), has sued the Economic and Financial Crimes (EFCC) and the Army over his continued incarceration.

Ashinze, in a fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by his lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), is challenging his detention for about 12 weeks without any charge preferred against him.

The suit filed before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) also has the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai as respondent.

Ashinze is praying the court to order EFCC and the Army to release forthwith, his personal effects, documents and properties which were illegally, wrongfully and unlawfully seized from him without any warrant, during his arrest and continued detention since December 23, last year.

Alternatively, he urged the court to issue an order granting him bail on self recognisance or in the most liberal terms as well as an order directing the respondents to tender a public apology and pay him adequate compensation for the blatant violation of his fundamental rights without following due process.

Ashinze also wants the court to restrain the anti-graft agency and the Nigerian Army from further inviting, arresting or detaining him in their custody in relation to same frivolous allegations, which he knows nothing about.

Credit: NATION

Metuh Sues FG, Seeks Release From Detention

The detained National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh, on Monday filed a fundamental rights enforcement suit before a Federal High Court in Lagos, seeking his immediate release from custody.

Metuh had since January 5, 2016 been taken into custody by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for questioning for allegedly benefiting from the $2.1bn arms funds allegedly diverted by a former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

The EFCC believed that Metuh received N400m of the allegedly diverted arms funds, but the PDP spokesperson had reportedly claimed that the sum was for an undisclosed service he rendered to former President Goodluck Jonathan.

On Monday, Metuh claimed in the suit he filed through his lawyer, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, that his arrest was part of the grand plan of the ruling All Progressives Congress to silence the opposition and make Nigeria a one-party country.

Credit: Punch

Masked Men Arrest Madagascar’s Former President on Return

Madagascar’s exiled former leader Marc Ravalomanana was detained on Monday after returning to the Indian Ocean island for the first time since he was deposed in a coup in 2009.

“It’s for his safety that he was arrested,” said President Hery Rajaonarimampianina, who took office in January after an election last December. “Besides, it’s not an arrest but rather placement in a supervised area to ensure his safety.”

Ravalomanana, exiled to South Africa, had tried returning to Madagascar several times since 2009 but was prevented by the authorities who feared his homecoming would bring further instability to the island, which has a long history of coups.

“I’m not coming to bring trouble but to bring peace and work for Madagascar’s development,” Ravalomanana had told reporters earlier in the day.

“I reiterate my spirit of reconciliation. The initiatives I have taken are in this direction,” he added, in reference to Ravalomanana’s detention. One witness who saw Ravalomanana being detained said masked men stormed his home and took him away.

Government officials and Ravalomanana said the former president did not inform the authorities that he would return.