The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in Borno state said on Wednesday, that 26,391 displaced persons had so far been registered. NEMA spokesman Abdulkadir Ibrahim said, “the number is growing by the hour.”
The United States on Thursday said, it is concerned by increasing Boko Haram violence and territorial gains in Nigeria. US Assistant Secretary of State, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, said on a visit to Abuja, “We are very troubled by the apparent capture of Bama and the prospects for an attack on and in Maiduguri, which would impose a tremendous toll on the civilian population.” Thomas-Greenfield, who leads Washington’s African Affairs team, told delegates at a bilateral meeting on regional security that the upsurge in violence “constitutes a serious threat” to Nigeria.
Fears that Maiduguri could be the next target led the government to extend an overnight curfew there.