British Police Nab Six Over Christmas Terror Plot

British police say they have arrested six people suspected of plotting terror attacks for Christmas on behalf of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group (ISIS) in the United Kingdom.

Police officials said the arrests in the English Midlands city of Derby on Monday foiled a “significant” terror plan that came after months of close surveillance by the MI5 and counter-terrorism police forces.

The detainees, all aged 22 to 36, had planned to set off a bomb in a crowded British shopping center during the Christmas period, according to reports.

The Guardian confirmed the reports, saying, “Material recovered from an address raided in Derby has been initially assessed as being consistent with that needed to make homemade explosives.”

The counter-terrorism unit in Britain also noted that the detentions were linked to “international-related terrorism.”

Further investigations are under way to determine the motives behind the foiled terror plot.

In a late-October report, British security services said they had foiled at least 10 terrorist attacks over the past two years in the country.

“We continue to work at a relentless pace with our key partners, currently dealing with around 550 live cases at any one time. The counter-terrorism network and security services have successfully foiled at least 10 attacks in the last two years, with 294 convictions for terror-related offenses,” said Neil Basu, the deputy assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.

Read More: presstv

Six Detained After Turkish Dormitory Fire Kills Schoolgirls

Authorities in southern Turkey, detained six people on Wednesday over a fire in a dormitory that killed 11 schoolgirls and one other person, the state-agency said.

Flames swept through the mostly wooden interior of the two-storey dormitory in the town of Aladag late on Tuesday, causing the roof to collapse.

European Affairs Minister Omer Celik, a ruling AK Party lawmaker who represents the surrounding province in the national parliament, said the suspected cause was an electrical fault.

But the opposition complained of lax regulation and criticised an education policy that has seen a growing number of such dormitories set up to house poor students from villages where there are no state schools.

Local media said the dormitory was run by one of the several religious movements in Turkey that operate such facilities. Elif Dogan Turkmen, a lawmaker from the main opposition Republican People’s Party, said she had unsuccessfully tabled several proposals in parliament to improve the inspection and supervision of such buildings.

“The AKP has abandoned all state authority on education to religious movements and cults,” Turkmen told Reuters. “They throw children from poor families into the lap of cults by not building dormitories themselves.”

Local mayor Huseyin Sozlu was quoted by the Hurriyet newspaper as saying the door to a fire escape was shut, trapping some of the victims inside. But Deputy Prime Minister Veysi Kaynak denied that was the case.

“The initial information passed on from investigators and our prosecutor suggests there was no lock on the door,” he said.

Kaynak rejected claims of insufficient inspections, saying the building had been audited in June as well as last year and that it had the necessary license.

The fire began on the ground floor but quickly spread through wooden fixtures and carpets, according to a CNN Turk correspondent who said children had smashed windows on the upper floor as they tried to escape.

Twenty-four people, many of them schoolgirls, were injured. One of the people detained was the dormitory manager.

Such incidents are not uncommon in Turkey. In 2008, an explosion triggered by a gas leak in a religious preparatory school in the central province of Konya killed 18 girls and wounded 29. Charges were brought against the dormitory manager and other officials but the case is ongoing.

Credit: NAN

Six Killed In Suicide Attack At Mosque In Borno

Six people were killed on Friday when a suicide bomber blew himself up at a mosque in Damboa, northeast Nigeria, the army said, in the latest violence to hit the restive region.

Nigerian Army spokesman Colonel Sani Usman said the attack happened at about 5:15 am (0415 GMT) in the town of Damboa, some 90 kilometres (56 miles) southwest of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri.

He blamed the attack on “two Boko Haram terrorists”.

“The first suicide bomber targeted Damboa Central Mosque but due to stringent security measures he could not gain entry. Obviously frustrated, he exploded and died near the central mosque,” he added.

“However, the second bomber veered off and gained entry into another smaller mosque and detonated the bomb, killing himself and six other worshippers and injuring one other person.

“The wounded have been evacuated to a hospital while efforts are on to clear the rubble. Troops and other security agencies have been mobilised to the area.”

The attack is the latest against a mosque in northeast Nigeria and the wider Lake Chad region, as part of a campaign of violence by the Islamist group against civilian “soft” targets.

On June 27, two would-be suicide bombers were killed in Maiduguri, as they tried to target an overnight Ramadan vigil at a mosque on the Damboa Road.

Credit: Guardian

Six Abducted Chibok Schoolgirls ‘Dead’

Six of the 219 Chibok schoolgirls abducted in 2014 by Boko Haram are dead, activists and local officials have quoted one of the girls rescued Tuesday as saying.

Nineteen-year-old Amina Nkek was rescued in Kulakaisa village at the fringes of Sambisa forest, by a Chibok vigilante group, the sources said.

A source familiar with the rescue said Ms. Nkek was breast feeding a child.

After she was taken to Chibok, where she was identified by her parents, Ms. Nkek told the community leaders that “all the girls are in Sambisa forest, but six of them had died”, a source said.

The source quoted Ms. Nkek as saying that the remaining girls were “well secured and protected” to stop the Nigerian Army from rescuing them.

He added that the girl was taken to the army unit in Damboa, Borno state.

The army said in a statement that “one of the abducted chibok school girls, Falmata Mbalala, was among the rescued persons by our troops at Baale near Damboa”.

The statement, signed by army spokesperson, Sani Usman, did not say why the names differed.

Credit: PremiumTimes

Teacher Admits To Having Sex With Six Of Her Own Students

A teacher has admitted to sleeping with at least six of her students during a stint as a special education assistant.

Michelle Mellinger 49, said she slept with pupils – including one who was under 16 – while working at the McKeesport Area High School in Pennsylvania.

She reportedly told one pupil that he “was on her bucket list” before taking him back to her home to have sex with him.

Local reports state that Mellinger later contacted more students for sex before some contacted her after hearing what she had been up to.

She is said to have text one student that she “was not having sex with students anymore”.

However, she later arranged a meeting a few days later, according to Assistant District Attorney Julie Koren.

Mellinger was arrested after staff at the school contacted police when they heard rumours spreading around the school about her.

She has now admitted to one count of statutory sexual assault plus five counts of having intercourse or sexual contact with students during a court appearance.

She also reportedly confessed to one count of attempted intercourse or sexual contact with a student.

Credit: YahooNews

Child Suicide Bombing Kills Six In Borno

A child suicide bomber detonated his explosives, killing himself, two other bombers and six people in Nigeria’s northeast, in the latest bloodshed blamed on Boko Haram Islamist group, the army said on Monday.

The attack in Beninsheikh in Borno state happened around 8.30 pm on Sunday when three suspected suicide bombers aged between 10 and 15 years, were stopped for security screening by civilian vigilantes in the area, Colonel Sani Usman said in a statement.

He said one of the bombers, who was strapped with explosives, detonated the bomb, causing the “death of nine people while 24 others sustained various degrees of injuries.” Usman said the three suicide bombers were among the dead. “The security and emergency management agents have mobilised to the scene. The bodies have been evacuated and all those injured are receiving medical attention,” he said.

Suicide bombings — many by young boys and girls — have fast become Boko Haram’s preferred method of inflicting civilian casualties since it control of captured territory to a renewed military offensive by the military in recent months. Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari has given his military commanders until the end of the month to end the six-year violence.

Credit: Sun

Six Children Drown As Boat Capsize In Lagos

A canoe conveying fourteen school children capsized. Six of them reportedly drowned, while eight of them including the driver were rescued.

The incident occurred after a fibre canoe reportedly ran into the passenger boat at about 9am.

As at time of writing this report, the rescued children , some of whom were said to be primary school pupils and secondary school students who were on their way to school, were responding to treatment at the Igando general hospital, where they were rushed to.

However, three of them said to have swam their way to safety were discharged from the hospital at about 5pm.

Officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority,LASEMA who were contacted , reportedly stormed the scene to commence rescue work. But as at 7pm, bodies of the eight missing children were yet to be found.

The South West spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency , Ibrahim Farinloye confirmed the incident. He said : “The 14 school children were being conveyed across Ojo to Irawe jetty, to school. Six children are yet to be recovered as I speak. Searches will continue tomorrow”

Creditvanguardngr