Zimbabwe government bans the beating of children

Zimbabwe’s High Court has outlawed corporal punishment for children both at school and in the home.

The ruling comes after a parent complained that her child in grade one, a class for six-year-olds, had deep bruises after a beating by a teacher.

Linah Pfungwa said her daughter had been punished for failing to have her reading book signed by guardians as proof she had done her homework.

The constitutional court will have to confirm the judgement.

The BBC’s Shingai Nyoka in the capital, Harare, says if upheld, it would transform the way parents have disciplined their children for centuries in the southern African country.

Some parents are criticising the ruling, while rights groups says it is long overdue, she says.

Ms Pfungwa, who filed her application with support from the Justice for Children’s Trust, said her child was severely assaulted with a rubber pipe.

“My child suffered major bruises and I took photographs and pictures of the same,” the state-run Chronicle newspaper quotes her as saying.

“She had deep bruises on her back and she could hardly sleep properly. I posted the pictures of my daughter on our WhatsApp group for other parents to observe and it turned out that other children had also been assaulted.”

In her application, Ms Pfungwa said that children should not be subjected to any form of violence and such corporal punishment breached their rights under Zimbabwe’s Constitution.

She argued that other forms of discipline should be used for children.

“If my child misbehaves, I ground her by denying her access to television as well as denying her pocket money or other goodies like sweets and presents,” she said.

“If she does well, I reward her by presents or extra hours of watching television.

“My child is well-behaved and well-brought up simply as a result of the dialogue that I use as a means of discipline.”

Justice David Mangota agreed that corporal punishment for children was unconstitutional and said that parents and teachers should not lay their hands on children even if they misbehave.

Mom Murders Her 17 Month Old Son As Punishment For Her Boyfriend’s Infidelities

A Pennsylvania mother-of-two was charged with murder and attempted murder on Tuesday after smothering her 17-month-old son to death and attempting to kill her 2-year-old daughter.

The terrifying attack allegedly took place after Christian Clark, 21, got into a fight with her boyfriend, Andre Price Jr., over text message after accusing him of cheating on her. Clark then began to threaten she would kill their two children if he did not return home, before following through with her threats to “ruin both our lives.”

After killing their son, People reports Clark blamed the death on her boyfriend, texting him, “Andre is dead cus daddy couldn’t tell the truth.” She allegedly then continued to berate Price with text messages, asking him to admit to his infidelities or else his children would suffer more harm. Eventually, she texted photos and videos of the children to her boyfriend as well, including one where their son is lying facedown on the bed and appears to be lifeless.

Later, Clark allegedly told Clark that he can just “make new kids” with whomever he was cheating on her with, before asking him if it was “easier planning your child’s funeral or telling your babies’ mom you didn’t want to be around her.” In her final text, she apologized — “Sorry I did this. I [swear to God] I didn’t mean to.” — then called 911.

Paramedics arrived on the scene and rushed Clark’s son to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Clark’s daughter suffered minor injuries.

Clark is currently being held at the Allegheny County Jail without bond. At this time, charges will likely not be brought against Price.

Credit: cosmopolitan

Budget Tinkering: Buhari Reportedly Orders Redeployment Of 184 Top Officials From Budget Office

President Buhari has reportedly ordered the redeployment of 184 top budget officials to other parastatals that have little or nothing to do with budget, as a punishment for their roles in padding the 2016 budget sent to the National Assembly.

According to a report by Vanguard, a top official in the Budget office confirmed that 22 top officers from the Budget Office of the Federation were affected in the mass deployment.

The rest were moved away from budget-related duties in other Ministries, Departments and Agencies, MDAs. Out of the 22 top officials deployed in the budget office, four were directors on Level 17, six
were deputy directors while 12 were Assistant directors.

The ordered for their redeployment was reportedly conveyed in a statement by the Office of the Head of Service of the Federation. Media Adviser to the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Akpadem James, confirmed the development but declined to give further details.

 

 

Source – Kevdjakporblog.com

Buhari Writes To National Assembly, Seeks Stiffer Punishment For Corruption

President Muhammadu Buhari has written to the National Assembly (NASS) to seek stiffer laws on his anti-corruption crusade in Nigeria.

President Buhari sent two separate bills to NASS which he hopes would heighten the fight against corruption.

First is the Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition Bill 2016.

The bill seeks to repeal the Money Laundering Act 2011 as amended in 2012 to widen the scope of money laundering offenses.

It also seeks to expand the scope of operation of anti-corruption agencies namely Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission and Code of Conduct Bureau.

When passed into law, Nigerians would be required to do due diligence on their customers or risk going to jail.

It however provides protection for anyone who discovers and makes disclosure of money laundering.

The second executive bill from President Buhari is the Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters Bill 2016.

This bill seeks to facilitate and create an avenue for Nigeria to obtain assistance from the international community to fight corruption.

Credit: ChannelsTv

I Am Not Posted To Jos On Punishment, Says AIG Mbu

Assistant Inspector General of Police, Mbu Joseph Mbu, has pledged to do everything to transform the Police Staff College, Jos, Plateau State, in all aspects, noting that he was not posted to the college on punishment.

Mbu, who spoke while assuming duty as the new Commandant of the college, said: “I was posted to Jos to come and transform the college, not on punishment. I did not resume early because I was on leave.”

He said: “I am still a serving police officer and I love my job. I do my job like a professional, and while working I do not know wife, brother or friend. I am proud to be a police officer.”
?
Mbu said it was privilege to be posted to head the highest police training institution in the country, noting that “our Inspector General has promised to ensure that training is given utmost priority, and that’s why I was posted to help transform the college.”

Read More: thisdaylive