Nigerian Schoolgirl To Share Boko Haram Ordeal At British House Of Lords

A Nigerian schoolgirl will tell the British House of Lords on Tuesday of her terrifying ordeal during one of the biggest ever mass abductions carried out by the Boko Haram terrorist sect.

Victoria Yohanna, 15, was one of more than 400 people taken prisoner during an attack by a Boko Haram raiding party on the north-east Nigerian town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad in January.

Their captors ordered them to convert to Islam on pain of death and tried to marry them off as bush-wives to Boko Haram fighters.

Victoria, who managed to escape, will describe her experiences to an audience at the House of Lords at an event to mark the launch of a major new report on the persecution of Christians worldwide. It has been compiled by the charity Aid to the Church in Need.

It is believed to be the first time that one of Boko Haram’s thousands of schoolgirl victims has travelled to Britain to give evidence about their ordeal. The group’s use of women as chattels and sex-slaves gained worldwide attention last year when it kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from the north-east Nigerian town of Chibok, most of whom are still missing.

Read More: tribuneonlineng

I Slept On Bare Floor, Falae Shares His Ordeal With Kidnappers

The former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Chief Olu Falae, was released yesterday afternoon by his abductors, three days after he was kidnapped from his farm in Ilado, Akure North Local Government Area in Ondo State.

President Muhammadu Buhari had ordered Arase and the security agencies to rescue Falae, who was also once a Finance Minister. On arrival yesterday, Arase led other police officers including the Commissioner of Police for the Ondo State Command, Mike Ogbodo, to comb the Government Forest Reserve close to Falae’s farm.

The police were later to pick Falae from Owo, where he was let go by his abductors. Falae, who walked into the hands of his family and a jubilant crowd that had been waiting since morning for his arrival, wore a white caftan with a blue cap.

His neat appearance suggested that he changed to clean clothes after he was picked by the search team. The IG, who left Falae’s house immediately for Abuja, said the crime was a global issue. When asked about the operation, Arase said it was a security matter that could not be disclosed.

Speaking on his ordeal, Falae said he slept on bare floor for the three days he was in captivity.

Falae, who looked frail, said it was hellish being in captivity, particularly in the kidnappers’ den. In a brief recount, Falae said when he told his abductors that his family could raise N2 million only as ransom, they rejected it, replying: “Is it Boko Haram you are giving N2 million to?”

He thanked God that he had been released and expressed gratitude to his well wishers for their concern while he was in captivity.
Other early visitors to Falae’s residence after his release included the National Leader of Afenifere, Rotimi Fasonranti, among others.

Read More: thisdaylive

Borno Market Bombing: Residents Recall Ordeal

Nigerian villagers on Wednesday described the carnage unleashed by a huge market bomb explosion in jihadist group Boko Haram’s northeastern heartland as the death toll rose to 50.

The bomb — concealed in a crop-spraying backpack — ripped through the weekly market in the village of Sabon Gari, around 135 kilometres (85 miles) south of Borno state capital Maiduguri, during peak trading on Tuesday.

“When the blast happened people in the market fled in fear. They abandoned their wares. Some managed to return for their wares but some never came back,” Samaila Biu, a local trader, told AFP.

“The market was littered with all sorts of articles. The mobile phone section was a mess with many dead and pieces of flesh and blood splattered all over.”

The explosion went off at about 1:15 pm, (1215 GMT) Biu said, just after the market had entered its most busy trading hours and the immediate vicinity of the bomb was packed with merchants and shoppers, witnesses said.

Authorities said in the immediate aftermath 47 people had been killed but upped the toll by three overnight.

“One more person died from his wounds and two more bodies were later brought to the morgue from near the scene of the blast. Now there are 50 dead and 51 injured,” a nurse at Biu General Hospital, around 50 kilometres away, told AFP.

Credit: AFP

Boko Haram Survivors Talk About Their Ordeal (WATCH VIDEO)

Several hundred people rescued by Nigeria’s military from Boko Haram strongholds are now recovering in clinics. The fight against the armed group Boko Haram in Nigeria continues.

In recent days, the Nigerian military has been able to rescue several hundred people that were held captive by the group. Now, the hostages are trying to adjust to a life of freedom.

Watch Video