I Didn’t Defect To APC Because Of Federal Appointment – Oke

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress in Ondo State, Chief Olusola Oke, has denied speculations in some quarters that he defected to the APC to be able to get an appointment from the incoming administration, saying his priority for joining the party was to help build the party in the state.

Oke, who was a former National Legal Adviser of the Peoples Democratic Party and the party’s candidate in the 2012 governorship election in the state, defected to APC on April 8, 2015 following internal wrangling in the state chapter of the PDP between his group and that of Governor Olusegun Mimiko.

The former PDP flag bearer in a statement on Monday by his media aide, Rotimi Ogunleye, said instead of jostling for positions, he was ready to be a part of the process that would deepen democracy, throw up good and accountable leadership that would deliver good governance to the people of the state.

The lawyer added that his intention was to join other leaders of the party in the state to build a formidable party that would win elections in the state.

“My priority is to join other leaders of APC to build a stronger and formidable party in Ondo state. Contrary to unhealthy speculations from some quarters, I am not in a chase for any position. More than anything, restoration of good governance in Ondo state is my priority. This I am committed to”, the statement partly read.

More Mysterious Deaths In Ondo After Herbal Drink Consumption

There is anxiety in the ancient town of Ondo Kingdom in Ondo State over the death of three members of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) Oka Motor Park in Ondo, Causes of their death, which occurred at the weekend was still sketchy as at the time of filing this report.

But it was rumoured in the town that the trio died shortly after consuming herbal drink made of local gin, also known as ‘ogogoro’ to treat dysentery and fever.

It will be recalled that the state Commissioner for Health, Dr Dayo Adeyanju had about two weeks ago declared a ban on consumption of local gin following the outbreak of strange disease in Ode Irele, Irele Local Government area of the state, which was believed to have been caused by consumption of the methanol poison. It led to the killing of about 30 people.

A source told DAILY POST that the trio, had on Saturday morning, shortly after drinking the concoction, complained of severe stomach pain and later became unconscious.

It was added that their colleagues, in trying to revive them, gave them some local antidotes but it was to no avail as they gave up the ghost in the evening.

Speaking on the incident, a chieftain of the union in the garage, who did not want his name mentioned, expressed shock and sadness over the death of the victims, saying the death could be as a result of the herbal drink.

He disclosed that the seller of the herbal drink, who is said to be a regular supplier of the drink to the motor park, had taken to his heels immediately after the incident for fear of being arrested by the security agents.

He added that consumption of the said herbal mixture was not a new thing in the park as all of them drank it on daily basis without any negative effect on their body system.

It was also gathered that the deceased had been buried according to the Muslim rites without undergoing any autopsy to confirm the real cause of their death.

When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, (PPRO), Mr Wole Ogodo, explained that the matter had not been formally reported to the police.

“When I called the DPO of the Enuowa Police Division in Ondo, he said nobody had reported the case at the police station, that they too heard it as a rumor in the town.

Aisha Buhari says girls should attain 17 years before going into marraige
“But we have commenced investigation on it and after the investigation, we shall let the whole world know what actually happened”, Ogodo stated.

Creditdailypost

Ogogoro Poisoning Causes More Deaths In Ondo, Says Health Official

Britain’s first legally-approved HIV self-testing kit went on sale online on Monday, promising a result in just 15 minutes with a 99.7 percent accuracy rate. Developers hope the BioSure HIV Self Test will help identify the estimated 26,000 people in Britain who have HIV but do not yet know. “The total number of deaths is 23,” Ondo state health commissioner Dayo Adeyanju told AFP by telephone. Last Monday the death toll stood at 18.

Adeyanju said the five additional deaths were those taken to hospital when all the victims fell ill in the town of Ode-Irele earlier this month and that there were no new cases. The mysterious symptoms and deaths raised fears of a contagious disease but investigations ruled out illnesses such as Ebola and other viral conditions. Symptoms included headache, weight loss, blurred vision and loss of consciousness. All the victims died within a day of falling ill.

Adeyanju said the state government was investigating the source of the batch of gin as well as trying to improve the production of locally made alcohol to improve the safety of consumers.

Creditvanguardngr

Ondo Strange Disease: State Govt Bans Production, Consumption Of Ogogoro

The Ondo Government has banned the production and consumption of locally-made gin, commonly called ‘ogogoro’ in the state.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Dayo Akinyanju, according to the News Agency of Nigeria, announced this at a news conference in Akure on Saturday.

The commissioner attributed the ban to the outbreak of an unknown disease two weeks ago in Irele Local Government Area of the state.

“Our clinical analysis reveals the fact that there were no known viruses, while toxicology reports have confirmed our prime suspicion of methanol poisoning.

“We have reviewed our strategies and embarked on sensitisation to let people know that locally-made gin is prohibited.

“We will also embark on searches because this batch of methanol-containing gin must have gone round because four cases: two alive and two dead have been found in Odigbo Local Government Area,” he said.

Ondo Mysterious Disease, Death Toll Rises To 28

The Ondo State Government is working hard to control a strange disease which suddenly broke out in the Ode-Irele community of Ondo state, leading to the death of no fewer than 28 people in the past three days.

Residents say the disease broke out three days ago and spread rapidly around the community, killing its victim within 24 hours. The cause of the disease remained unknown.

Experts say preliminary reports from victims revealed neurologic clinical symptoms: blindness, and loss of consciousness.

Ebola Alert, an evidence-driven group of volunteer professionals who helped with the Ebola Virus Disease interventions in the country, said 28 people have died from the disease. But the State Health Commissioner, Dayo Adeyanju, put the number of dead victims at 12.

Mr. Adeyanju, while briefing newsmen in Akure, said preliminary investigations showed that the disease is not Ebola “as it does not manifest any of its symptoms, but it attacks the central nervous system of the victims”.

He said the state government, after getting information on the disease, immediately deployed officials who took samples from victims which was sent to Lagos for laboratory analysis to help understand the nature of the disease.

Mr. Adeyanju, who warned against spreading false information on social media, said the government is on top of the situation, and advised people in the council area to report any strange illness to the nearest health facility.

Read Morepremiumtimesng

Mysterious Ailment Kills 14 In Ondo

A strange ailment has broken out and killed about 14 people in Irele Local Government Area of Ondo State, south west Nigeria.

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Dayo Adeyanju, said the disease, discovered on Wednesday, is strange and it’s symptoms include headache and loss of sight.

He informed that local and international health institutions are already carrying out investigations on the causes and treatment of the ailment.

Dr Adeyanju also allayed the fears of the residents of the area and the state, stating that the situation is under control.

Creditnigerianpilot

Fear Of APC: Governor Mimiko Recalls Workers He Sacked

Ahead of the governorship election, Governor Segun Mimiko of Ondo state has re-instated about 1,000 LGA workers laid off last year following discovery that their employment was “illegal”.

The government also announced that it has waived the outcome of the last promotional examination in the state to ensure that workers in its employment eligible for promotion are promoted.

What this means is that, workers not qualified will now be promoted all because of election.

In a statement issued by the Ondo State Commissioner for Information, Hon. Kayode Akinmade in Akure, about 50 workers each, from the 18 local governments in the state laid off following discovery that they were illegally employed, have been re-instated and the irregularities in their employment process corrected.

Government also said it has decided to promote every worker due for promotion irrespective of performance in the promotional examination conducted for them for the same purpose.

According to Hon. Akinmade, “The state Government has re-absorbed and properly employed about 1,000 local government workers identified to have been illegally employed during the last screening exercise in the state.

“The Governor has also ordered the promotion of workers due for promotion to the next level of their career without recourse to the result of the promotional examination earlier conducted for the same purpose.”

Political Thugs Attack APC Supporters In Ondo

Following the announcement of the presidential and National Assembly election results in Ondo State, some youths suspected to be political thugs loyal to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have attacked supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

The attacked, which took place on Tuesday, happened in the Idanre Local Government Area of the state. The thugs attacked the town for voting for the APC candidates in the elections held on Saturday. The attacked left many people injured.

Read More: Punch

Update On Presidential Election Results From Ondo State As Declared By INEC

Akoko North-West Local Government
APC-     17,997
PDP-     12,048

Ose Local Government
APC-    11,300
PDP-    13,466

Ifedore Local Government
APC-    13,459
PDP-    8, 031

Ondo west Local Government
APC –   18,923
PDP-    20,243

Akure North Local Government
APC-  13,092
PDP-  7, 817

Owo Local Government
APC-   27,290
PDP-  7,817

Akoko South-East
APC-     7,245
PDP-     6,769

Idanre Local Government
APC-       12,654
PDP-       12,290

Akoko South-West Local Government
APC-        25,336
PDP-        15,490

Odigbo Local Government
APC-        18,655
PDP-        19,315

Ile-Oluji Local Government
APC-       12,338
PDP-        13,652

Ese-Odo Local Government
APC-        4,002
PDP-        24,943

Ondo- East Local Government
APC-         5,922
PDP-          8,708

Irele Local Government
APC-         9,969
PDP –        11,639

Akure South Local Government
APC-        50,411
PDP-        18,125

Okitipupa Local Government
APC-       17,495
PDP-       19,035

It remains 2 Local Government

Total

APC-         266,084
PDP-         225,328

Buhari Wins Ondo, INEC Declares

All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari has secured a victory in Ondo State, according to results provided by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday morning.

According to results announced at the INEC office in Alagbaka, Akure, both Muhammadu Buhari and Goodluck Jonathan won in 9 of the 18 LGAs in the state. While Buhari scored 299,889 votes, Jonathan polled 251,368 votes.

The total number of valid votes cast in the state stood at 561,056.

Read MoreNaij

Pro-Jonathan Groups In Ondo Protest Against Card Readers

The G-18 Initiative, a pro-Goodluck Jonathan campaign movement has cautioned the Independent National Electoral Commission against the use of the smart card readers for the coming elections.

Also, the Ondo State Peoples Democratic Party Stakeholders Group, urged the INEC not to use the card readers in the presidential election slated for March 28, but could use it for future governorship elections or bye elections as test for the machines.

Addressing journalists in Akure, the National Coordinator of the G-18,  Mr. Poroye Bill, said although the introduction of the card readers was well intentioned, indications from the test carried out showed that there could be serious problems during the election proper.

He noted that there could be severe flaws with the use of the gadget that could result in the compromise of the electoral process.

“The timing is wrong and voters are not well educated about it. The recent field test of the device showed that it will take about one hour to attend to six voters, this certainly  will disenfranchise so many voters,” he said.

On his part, the Coordinator of the PDP Stakeholder Group and former Ondo State Commissioner for Information, John Mafo, said the card readers had not been effectively tested in an election.

According to Mafo, who also doubles as a Patron of the G-18 Initiative, the card readers should have been tested in a governorship or legislative elections before deploying them in a presidential election.

He added that the use of incidence form completely negated the essence of the card readers.

The G-18 however noted that the electoral process had improved with successive elections, praising Goodluck Jonathan for appointing Prof. Attahiru Jega as Chairman of INEC.

The group also called for clean campaigns devoid of insults and denigration as currently being experienced in the build up to the elections.

“We appeal to the parties involved to think of the tortuous road that the nation went through to berth this democracy.

“The group desires  peaceful, clean and fair elections. We therefore call on INEC to work with the security agencies to ensure adequate security in the forthcoming elections,” he said.

Why Agagu Boys Defected to APC in Ondo: The Obasanjo/Tinubu Connections – Vanguard

Finally, the bubble burst on Tuesday, January 13 in Akure, the Ondo State capital, as some politicians known as the Agagu Boys defected from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC.
This development, though a big shock, but was dismissed by the State PDP, which said their defection was long overdue. Reports had it that the late former governor Dr. Olusegun Agagu, before his demise had been fraternizing with the leadership of the APC.
The late Agagu at some point was alleged to have met with the national leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu several times on the possibility to collaborate. The information leaked to the leadership of the PDP and Agagu was said to be sidelined on matters of the state, as Mimiko dictated the tune, even while in his former Party. Then, Agagu and his boys were tagged PDP Jagaban.
However, with the death of Agagu and the development which led to Mimiko defection to the PDP, the Agagu boys became threatened and uncomfortable with his leadership of the party.

Read More: vanguardngr.com