Bolivian aviation official reveals Chapecoense plane crash cover-up

While the air traffic control official warned that there would not be enough fuel to reach their destination, she had no authority to stop it before it crashed in Medellin

Celia Castedo, a Bolivian aviation official, has revealed that she was “harrased and pressured” into covering up the truth behind the Chapecoense airplane crash which killed 71 passengers and injured six others.

 

Ms Castedo told Bolivian media that she had previously warned that the plane did not have enough fuel to reach the intended destination in Medellin, Colombia, where Brazilian club Chapecoense were travelling to to face Atletico Nacional in the first leg of the Copa Sudamericana final.

The plane crashed into a mountainside near the city, with the pilot, Miguel Quiroga, claiming a “total electric failure” and “lack of fuel”.

Castedo, who was working in air traffic control, said that, instead of authorising the flight, she had tried to stop it but the authority was with Bolivia’s civil aviation agency, and has accused superiors of a cover-up.

In a letter, Castedo wrote: “I was subjected to harassment and pressure from my superiors […] who ordered me to change the content of the report which hours earlier [before the flight] I had presented.

“Based on a careful examination, I had made five observations, one of the most important of which referred to the fuel economy of the flight, which happened to be equal to the flight time.”

 

Chapecoense were later awarded the 2016 Copa Sudamericana title and, with it, a place in next season’s Copa Libertadores and Supercopa Euroamericana, while Atletico Nacional were rewarded with a fair-play award.

Bolivian authorities have arrested Gustavo Vargas, the chief of the airline involved in the crash, while Castedo is now reportedly seeking asylum in Brazil.

North Korean Official Banished To Live On Farm

North Korea has exiled its vice foreign minister and his family to a rural farming region outside of Pyongyang following the recent defection of the country’s deputy ambassador to the UK.

According to the South Korean daily JoongAng Ilbo on Tuesday, North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un ordered Kung Sok-Ung removal from his post after Pyongyang’s UK ambassador defected, along with his family, to the South around two months ago.

“Since Thae Yong-Ho’s defection in late July, there has been an overall inspection throughout the foreign ministry,” the paper quoted a source familiar with North Korean affairs as saying.

“Kung Sok-Ung was held accountable for the embassies in Europe and purged as a result,” the source added.

The report also said that four other diplomats in charge of European affairs were also expelled from the capital.

Last week the paper published a report which said several North Korean embassy officials stationed in China had defected.

According to official figures provided by South Korea, nearly 30,000 people from North Korea have so far managed to defect to the South since the conclusion of the 1950-1953 Korean War.

Read More: presstv

Reported Probe Of Sanusi, Soludo Untrue– Presidency

The Presidency has refuted social media reports that the tenures of Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II and Prof. Charles Soludo, as Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governors, would soon be probed by the Federal Government.

The reports alleged that the Federal Government had concluded arrangements to probe the tenures of the two former CBN governors over their views on the state of the economy.

Malam Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, however, in a tweeted message, said the presidency was not aware that the Emir and Soludo would be probed for offering suggestions to the president.

“The check I made today indicated that the presidency is unaware of the reported probe of Sarkin Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi 11 and Prof.Soludo

“Where did that report come from? Under our constitution which President Muhammadu Buhari swore to uphold, it is not a crime to offer suggestions,’’ he said.

Credit: dailytrust

Corruption Is Official In Nigeria- Pastor Bakare

The convener of Save Nigeria Group and Presiding Pastor of Latter Rain Assembly, Tunde Bakare, at the weekend, said not only government officials were corrupt, but emphasised that “corruption is official in Nigeria.”
Bakare made this declaration during the birthday celebration of human rights activist, Monday Ubani and the launch of Onyekachi Ubani Foundation at Sheraton Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos, while delivering the keynote address titled “the system that allows massive corruption in Nigeria must be bad”.
He noted that, “at the twilight of the military era in Nigeria’s political trajectory, the name “Nigeria” became synonymous with a certain word, a word that elicits the image of a cesspool running over corruption.
“At that time, precisely, bin 1999, Transparency International rated Nigeria the second most corrupt countryman the world in terms of perception, second only to her eastern neighbour, Cameroon.
“For instance, given the unbridled looting the treasury at that time, reportedly to the tune of over one billion dollars as was subsequently uncovered following the exit of the military, it was obvious that the abnormal had become the norm, the illegal had become legal, the outrageous had become banal and aberrant had become the gold standard.
Bare who was represented Ayers the event by the managing director of Wema Bank pointed out that “through 17 years of civil governance, the stench of corruption has continued to pollute the national atmosphere and to attract the derision of the international community.”

Read More: SunOnline

 

Nigeria Official Re-ignites ‘Lesbian’ Claims In Women’s Football

Football Federation (NFF) official has blamed lesbians for recent poor performances of the country’s women’s team, repeating a claim that FIFA has previously condemned.

The Super Falcons are the most successful African nation in the game, having won the continental title a record nine times and competed at every Women’s World Cup since it started in 1991. But they have failed to qualify for this year’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and were also under-par in last year’s All Africa Games in Congo.

NFF vice-president Seyi Akinwunmi blamed the decline in the women’s game nationally to same-sex relationships, which are illegal in religiously conservative Nigeria.

“Lesbianism kills teams,” he complained at a meeting of sports writers in the southwestern city of Ibadan on Saturday, in comments reported in national newspapers on Monday. “People are afraid to talk about it.

The coaches also take advantage of the girls, so there is much more to build in female football.” Akinwunmi was not immediately available for comment when contacted by AFP.

Credit: Vanguard

Lassa Fever: 10 Suspected Cases In Gombe Negative – Official

The Gombe State Ministry of Health on Friday said that 10 people suspected to have contacted the Lassa fever virus had tested negative.

Dr Joshua Abubakar, the Ministry’s Director of Public Health, told newsmen in Gombe on Friday that, their result of their blood samples recently taken to a laboratory in Lagos tested negative.

According to him, the only patient who tested positive has been discharged after being treated and certified free.

He said also that those who came in contact with the patient while on admission had been certified free too.

“The state rapid response team has intensified surveillance, and sensitization in all the 11 local government areas and the emirate council.

“ We equally have focal officers in all the wards saddled with the responsibilities of reporting any suspicious cases,” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports recently that an eight-year -old girl from the state was said to have contacted the Lassa fever virus.

Credit: NAN

NDLEA Destroys 10,239.26 kgs Of Narcotics In 2015– Official

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Oyo State Command, on Thursday said it destroyed 10,239.26 kilogrammes of narcotics in the state between January and December 2015.

The spokesperson of the command, Mrs Mutiat Okuwobi, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ibadan that it also seized 9369.8 kilogrammes of cannabis sativa and 34.42 kilogrammes of psychotropic substance respectively.

She also said that the agency destroyed 192.39 acres of farmlands in different parts of the state where weeds suspected to be cannabis were cultivated.

Okuwobi said that the agency arrested 227 suspects comprising 215 males and 12 females and recorded 59 convictions in 2015.

The official said that the command’s Drug Demand Reduction Unit also rehabilitated and counseled 20 drug addicts within the period under review.

She cautioned the public on dangers associated with drug abuse, and urged parents to monitor the movements of their children to prevent them from anti-social behaviors.

Credit: Leadership

Katsina State Lost 8 Pilgrims In 2015 Hajj- Official

The Executive Director, Katsina State Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Ahmad Hassan, said the state had lost eight pilgrims during the 2015 Hajj in Saudi Arabia.

Hassan disclosed this on Friday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Katsina.

He said that four pilgrims died during the ‘Jamrat’ stampede, and that another one died in the crane collapse incident.

The executive director said that three other pilgrims died due to various ailments during the Hajj.

Hassan further disclosed that the pilgrims that died in the ‘Jamrat’ stampede were from Jibia, Bindawa, Kafur and Katsina local government areas.

According to him, another pilgrim from Bindawa Local Government Area was still missing as a result of the stampede

Credit: Leadership

Presidency Disowns Official Who Reportedly Said Buhari Is Shy Around Women

The Nigerian presidency has released the statement disowning an official who reportedly said President Muhammadu Buhari is shy around women.

Read full statement by Femi Adesina:

“The claim that President Muhammadu Buhari is shy around women, purportedly made by one Gideon Samani yesterday and published by a national newspaper today is totally fallacious.

“The subsequent attribution of the supposedly “low number” of female ministerial nominees to President Buhari’s alleged shyness around women is therefore baseless and a figment of the imagination of the said Mr. Samani, who was falsely described as the “Senior Special Assistant (Political Matters) to the President.

“The assertion by the alleged Presidential Aide that President Buhari is “very shy dealing with the opposite sex” because “he has been interacting mostly with men,” was received by the President with shock and consternation.

“For one thing, there is no Senior Special Assistant, Political Matters, in the office of the President for now and Mr. Samani who was said to have spoken as the Representative of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation at a public function yesterday, is not an aide of the President.

“Mr Samani is certainly not an official spokesman of the President. Therefore, he could not have spoken on behalf of President Buhari, who is the President of all Nigerians, men and women alike.

“President Buhari has a wife, many daughters and female relatives whom he loves dearly. He also had a mother that he adored. How then could he be shy in the company of women, to the point of allegedly not appointing them into public offices, on account of not being comfortable in their company?

“Nigerian women can be assured that the President holds them in the highest esteem and will always give them due consideration in the discharge of his official responsibilities.

“The statements attributed to Mr Samani are untrue and unauthorized. They should therefore be disregarded.”

Credit:  PremiumTimes

Tyga Features Kylie Jenner In New Music Video, Kissing Scene Confirms It’s Official

Tyga has just dropped the music video for his new song “Stimulated,” and oh, look, it serves as another ~official~ confirmation that he and Kylie Jenner are coupled up. Watch video below…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=196&v=X8AurWRkRpo

Why “ISIS Fugitive Leader” Was Issued Visa, Foreign Affairs Official Explains

Radical Lebanese Islamic cleric, Ahmad Al-Assir, who was arrested last week as he attempted traveling to Nigeria, got an entry visa into Nigeria because the country’s embassies do not capture applicants’ biometric data, an official of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

Biometrics cover a variety of unique identifiable attributes of people including fingerprint, iris print, hand, face, voice, gait or signatures, and are used for identification and authentication.

The foreign affairs official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said with the surge of security breaches and religious fundamentalism, biometric capturing has become a norm yet, Nigeria, currently battling Boko Haram insurgency, has failed to utilise the technology.

“While the measure tends to pre-empt influx of terrorists instead they (sic) depend on the use of stop list for potential visa applicants,” the official said.

Read More: premiumtimesng

Nigerian Goalkeeper Banned 1 Year For Spitting At Official

A Nigerian goalkeeper was banned for a year for spitting at an assistant referee and clubs were handed fines totaling $85 000 in disciplinary decisions announced by the Confederation of African Football on Tuesday.

Goalkeeper Tejiri Rhiogbere was given the 12-month ban from all African competitions following CAF’s disciplinary committee meeting on Sunday. CAF said it would also forward Rhiogbere’s case to FIFA to possibly make his ban worldwide.

The spitting incident happened in Nigerian club Warri Wolves’ 1-0 win at FC MK of Congo in their African Confederation Cup tie on May 1, when Rhiogbere was also sent off.

In other decisions, Mali’s Onze Createurs was fined the largest amount, $20 000, for its fans throwing missiles onto the field in a Confederation Cup game against Ivory Coast’s ASEC Mimosas. The game had to be stopped and police intervened to disperse the crowd, CAF said.

Angola’s Petro Atletico was fined $10 000 after its fans threw missiles at its own team at a 1-0 home loss to Swaziland’s Royal Leopards, which eliminated Petro from the Confederation Cup. Police also had to escort the match officials to the dressing rooms.

Clubs in Africa’s top Champions League competition were also punished for crowd trouble and not controlling officials.

Defending African champion ES Setif of Algeria and Raja Casablanca of Morocco were both banned from holding CAF games in their stadiums for four matches and fined $5,000 after their bad-tempered two-leg tie in the Champions League, which Setif ultimately won on penalties after both games ended 2-2.

Setif’s club president was guilty of insulting members of the Raja delegation, and Raja’s president guilty of contesting refereeing decisions.

Dozens of flares were also thrown onto the field in Raja’s home tie on April 19, CAF said, leading to a warning that another incident would mean Raja would have to play two games without any fans.

In the most bizarre case, goalkeeper Brou Bernard of Ivory Coast’s beach soccer team was banned for four games and fined $5,000 for throwing sand at the officials after losing to Madagascar on penalties in the semifinals of the African championship last month.

Credit: AP