Female NYSC Member Dies In Kano Camp Due To Negligence Of Camp Officials

Reports reaching Omojuwa.Com has it that a youth corper simply named Ifedolapo who was serving in the National Youth Service Scheme died while carrying out the usual military drill routine.

According to her colleagues, they had resumed camp a day before. However, the stress of traveling a long distance from Osun state (South-West Nigeria) all the way to Kano state in Northern Nigeria was a huge cause of tiredness and fatigue.

Without given time to rest from the long journey, it was recorded that all participating members of the scheme were forced to partake in military drills the following morning despite complaints of tiredness from the long journey.

Ifedolapo who reluctantly joined in the military drill just like every other person that fateful morning. During the course of what seemed like a rigorous exercise, Ifedolapo lost consciousness and she slumped.

The heartbreaking part of this unfortunate turn of event was that the NYSC staff & military personnel who organized and coordinated the drill were informed of Ifedolapo’s health condition but with the waive of a hand, they dismissed the call for help as a ploy on Ifedolapo’s part to escape the drills.

Further investigations into the story revealed that ifedolapo had earlier complained to some coordinators about her state of health but she her complaints were neglected and she was ordered to join the drills irrespective.

Ifedolapo fought for her life as she lay unconscious on the drill ground with no medical personnel to attend to her simply because those who are charged with the responsibility of ensuring the well-being of participants believed Ifedolapo was only being dramatic so as to be able to exempted from the drill.

This is a sad situation as the corpers have called that justice should be done to the irresponsible camp officials who right under their noses allowed such an unfortunate event take place.

One of Ifedolapo’s colleagues was quoted saying; “Please for God’s sake, if NYSC cannot be scrapped, let it be restructured to give room for service in neighboring States. This is one death too many“.

According to Ngozi Emenike who also reported the case, she said; “So this girl died in Kano camp today due to negligence. They assumed she was pretending to be sick in order to dodge parade, so they refused to treat her until the situation got complicated. When will Nigeria grow? RIP Ifedolapo.”

There have been calls from Nigerians that the issue should be probed and justice should be served. There have been previous complaints about the attitude of NYSC officials especially in camps. From neglect of duty to bribery, extortion and sometimes sexual offenses, the appropriate authorities need to wade into these series of misconducts perpetrated by it’s officials.

Crashes Are Caused By Drivers’ Negligence, Not Ember Months- Oyeyemi

Mr Boboye Oyeyemi, the Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), said in Lagos on Monday that many crashes were caused as a result of disobedience to traffic rules and regulations by road users, not the ember months.

Oyeyemi made the remark during the official flag-off of the Ember months campaign of the FRSC, Lagos State Command.

Oyeyemi, who was represented by Mr Austine Aipoh, Zonal Commanding Officer, Osogbo, said that there was no supernatural thing about the ember months, saying that crashes were caused mainly by human disobedience to regulations.

“Today, we have come to demystify the belief and situate the mindsets and our actions for veritable safety on our highways.

“The truth is that nothing is supernatural about the ember months, road crashes are caused due to disobedience of rules and regulations by road users,’’ Oyeyemi said.

According to him, increase in socio-economic activities during the period engenders inordinate traffic surge that stretches the road transport system.

He said that most motorists throw caution to the winds under the complex traffic situation, and embark on speeding, overloading and wrongful overtaking.

Oyeyemi added that speed limit violations by drivers had become a critical risk factor which accounted annually for a significant loss of lives.

The FRSC boss, therefore, advised that motorists and stakeholders should rise to their responsibilities by playing a part towards achieving a crash-free season.

Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, Lagos State Governor, represented by Mr Anofiu Elegushi, Commissioner for Transport, said that the ember months campaign were a strategy to reduce crashes.

Elegushi said that the aim was to elevate the consciousness of motorists during and after the festive season.

“The ember months campaign as a component of the FRSC strategic engagements is aimed at elevating the consciousness of Nigerians to the realities of road traffic crashes and its implications.

“Nigeria, as a developing country accounts for 91 per cent of road fatalities, which are colossal to human capital and material losses, with frightening implications on the health system and sustainable development,’’ he said.

The commissioner appealed to Lagos residents to consider their safety as utmost, especially during the end-of-year festivities.

According to him, the road is not a race track and it is not a place for competition, hence drivers must stay away from speeding, drunk driving, dangerous driving and use of mechanically deficient vehicles.

Mr Tajudeen Agbede, Chairman, National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), represented by Mr Ifeoluwa Adenusi, said that the association has advised its members to drive safely during the season.

Agbede noted that members have been encouraged to go through medical check-ups before embarking on their journeys.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the ember months campaign tagged “Crash the Crash: Speed Kills,’’ was sponsored by Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO).

Credit: NAN

Tianjin Blast: Residents Accuse Govt Of Negligence

Dozens of angry residents whose homes were badly damaged by huge explosions last week in China’s northeastern port city of Tianjin, have accused the government of ignoring their plight and have demanded compensation.

Around 40 residents, holding signs that read “buy back (our homes)”, gathered outside a hotel on Tuesday where an official news conference was being held and demanded compensation after their residential apartments were damaged by two huge blasts that ripped through an industrial zone late last Wednesday killing over 100 people.

“Estate management (people) kept saying that they are in negotiation. But now we think it’s all nonsense, they just lie to everyone,” said 35-year-old resident Fang Qi.

“We, the owners of the properties, went to the office of the letter and complaints bureau yesterday and found out the information that our community had not been reported on, nobody knew it, so they treated it as a de-populated zone.”

Credit: Aljazeera

Coroner Accuses Synagogue Of Criminal Negligence, Says They Should Prosecuted

A coroner on Wednesday said a megachurch run by popular Nigerian preacher TB Joshua should be prosecuted after a building collapse killed 116 people, most of them South Africans.

“The church must be investigated and prosecuted for not obtaining the relevant approval before embarking on the construction of the building,” Oyetade Komolafe said in his ruling on last year’s tragedy.

“The church was culpable because of criminal negligence resulting in the death of the victims.”

The coroner’s inquest was called to determine the circumstances of the collapse of the guesthouse for foreign followers of Joshua’s Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) on September 12 last year.

Komolafe also dismissed Joshua’s claims in his ruling, which recorded that the victims likely died from multiple injuries, including fractured skulls, caused by the collapse.

“The collapse was as a result of structural failures,” he said, calling for the prosecution of the two engineers used by the church.

Creditvanguardngr