Court sends ex-NNPC boss, Andrew Yakubu to Kuje Prison

The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has ordered that Ex-NNPC boss, Andrew Yakubu, be remanded in Kuje prison pending the determination of his bail application on March 21.

Yakubu was, on Thursday, arraigned on a six-count charge of fraud before Justice Ahmed Mohammed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) after he admitted owning over $9.8 million cash found in a house that also belongs to him in Kaduna State.

He pleaded not guilty to the charge filed by the EFCC.

The defendant had through his lawyer, Mr. Ahmed Raji, SAN, begged the court to rather remand him in EFCC custody pending the ruling, a result that was turned down by Justice Mohammed.

It will be recalled that following a tip-off from a whistle-blower, the EFCC, raided Yakubu’s guest house situated at Sabon Tasha, Kaduna State, where it recovered the alleged loot which was in foreign currencies.

The anti-agency said it discovered the sum of $9.7million and £74,000 that Yakubu hid in a fireproof safe inside the house. The defendant earlier asked the high court to order the commission to return the seized money to him, insisting it was part of monetary gifts he received on various occasions.

FCT Police Rescue 10 Kidnapped Victims In Kuje (See Names Of Victims)

The Police Command in FCT on Monday said it rescued 10 persons kidnapped by a gang of hoodlums in Darka village in Kuje Area Council of the FCT.

The victims are Fanus Emmanuel, Babangida Emmanuel, Akimmi Dauda, Japheth Kwasu, Dorcas Shuaibu, Kemuche IK, Hamza Yunusa, Umar Godiri, Ismaila Yusuf and Abubakar Gomo.

A statement issued by the Command’s Spokesman, ASP Anjugurin Manzah, stated that eight of the victims were rescued on Nov. 19, while the remaining two were rescued on Nov. 20 in Toto and Karu in Nasarawa State.

Manzah noted that the rescue was made possible by a joint operation by the Police Mobile Force Operatives of the command’s Special Anti-Kidnapping Squad, DSS, Nigerian Army and NSCDC.

The spokesman stated that the stronghold of the assailants who specialised in raiding remote villages at night and robbing the villagers of cash and other valuables and kidnapping was destroyed during the operation. He added that an operative of the NSCDC, ASC Anumudu Uche, who took ill, died during the operation.

He recalled that the FCT Commissioner of Police, Muhammadu Mustafa, had reassured residents and affected villages of the command’s massive deployment to forestall a recurrence. He said concerted efforts were in place to arrest the dislodged hoodlums.

Credit:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/police-fct-rescue-10-kidnapped-victims-kuje/

“Nnamdi Kanu Seriously Ill In Prison, Loses Blood” – IPOB

The Indigenous People of Biafra has said its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, is critically ill in Kuje prison. “Nnamdi Kanu Seriously Ill In Prison, Loses Blood” – IPOBThe group said it got the information from Kanu’s lawyers who visited him recently.

In a statement issued by the Publicity Secretary of IPOB, Emma Powerful, on Saturday, the group said Kanu was suffering from chest and abdominal pains as well as a violent cough.

The group alleged that Kanu’s poor health might not be unconnected with the bad treatment he had been allegedly subjected to by prisons officials.

It called on the international community to prevail on President Muhammadu Buhari to allow its leader to have access to medical treatment.

The statement read, “We have notified the international community about his present condition which include debilitating abdominal pains and occasional tightening of the chest resulting in cough, which has persisted.

“The Department of State Services has this information in its record and we suggest it makes it public for the world to know. Kanu’s loss of blood through bleeding from the nose prompted the agency to send in an external doctor to examine him while in their custody.”

The group also declared its support for the United States Republican Party’s presidential candidate, Donald Trump.

The group ranked Trump among other world leaders such as Vladimir Putin of Russia, Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, and Angela Merkel of Germany.

It said Americans and the world should be desirous to see Trump as the next US President.

It also expressed hope that if Trump became the President of the US, he would address “the plight of Biafrans.”

The statement added, “We are calling on the international community, world leaders like Vladimir Putin of Russia, Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, Angela Merkel of Germany and Donald Trump, whom the good people of America, to come and make the US greater. These leaders and others who recognise the ideals of freedom for all should come to our rescue.”

The group decried the DSS’ declaration of the wife of its leader, Uchechi and one Powerful as wanted persons.

“The DSS should have known that IPOB is a non-violent organisation committed to the liberation of the people of Biafra and has not been involved in any violent act or crime during its protests in Nigeria and across the globe,” the group added.

Riot, Attempted Jailbreak At Kuje Prison

A riot broke out at the Kuje Medium Prison located in Kuje on the outskirts of Abuja on Monday morning with prisons officials barely settling down for official duties. A top prison official was quoted as saying that the crisis broke at about 10.30am from one of the blocks and spread to other blocks within the facility. As at the time of filing this report, the official who asked not to be named because he was not authorized to speak to the media said security operatives were already on ground to quell the uprising while it was still uncertain if any inmate had escaped.the situation is chaotic as all roads leading to the prisons have been cordoned off while heavily armed security operatives could be seen with sirens blaring.

“There is heavy shooting now. The whole place is in confusion. All the inmates have been locked in their cells but the security operatives are shooting teargas into the cells,” the source said. “We don’t know what happened but it seems there is serious trouble here. There are so many armed security operatives all over the place.” Spokesperson of the Nigerian Prison Service, Francis Enobore, confirmed the incident. “We have received report of a problem in Kuje Prision but give me a little time to get the facts on it as some of our men are already on ground to handle the situation,” he said.

 “We are monitoring what is happening. I will revert to you as soon we get more detail from our men on the ground.” On June 25 there was a jailbreak at the prisons with about three inmates escaping and it is still unclear if they were recaptured.

Kuje Prison Inmates Jubilate As Badeh Joins Them; Rejects Prison Food

The presence of a former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal, Alex Badeh (retd.) in Kuje Prison, Abuja, has generated excitement and curiosity among the inmates.

It was learnt that the inmates were amazed to see the former military chief in prison custody barely one year after his image loomed large across the nation.

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered on Saturday that the former CDS rejected food from the prison and opted to feed himself pending the time he would perfect his bail conditions.

It was learnt that Badeh was keeping a low profile in prison custody. A source said on getting to
prison, his bio-data and other important details were taken before he was escorted to the prison officer’s office and allocated a cell.

He was said to have opted to feed himself, an indulgence that is granted all awaiting trial inmates.

“An inmate can reject prison food and sign for self-feeding, meaning he would provide his own food, his family members and friends can bring food for him daily, subject to the approval of the prison authorities,” an official who spoke on condition of anonymity said.

It was learnt that Badeh’s rejection of the prison food may not be unconnected with the poor quality of the food served inmates in Nigerian prisons.

The Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Prisons Service, Peter Ezenwa amazed the nation last month when he said that a paltry sum of N222.30k was budgeted by the service to feed each inmate per day.

Ezenwa who stated this when he appeared before the House of Representatives Committee on Interior to defend the Prison Service’s 2016 budget warned of a possible revolt if things continued this way.

He stated that the service made a proposal of N10.6 billion for the feeding allowance of 65,000 inmates, but that the Federal Government slashed it to N5.2 billion.

Chairman of the Senate Committee on Interior, Senator Usman Nafada however contended that each inmate was being fed on N130 per day.

“N200 per inmate per day is unacceptable. If you look at it, you are actually feeding each inmate with N130 per day. When you remove Value Added Tax, contractors’ profit and other corporate services, the N200 comes to about N130 to feed one inmate in a day. It is inhuman to feed a human being with N130 per day. What can anybody use N130 to buy? With N130, no inmate can come out of the prison better,” he said.

The NPS Public Relations Officer, Francis Enobore, could not be reached for comments on how Badeh is taking prison life, as he did not respond to telephone calls and an SMS sent to him.

Badeh was remanded in prison custody on March 7 by Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja, following his arraignment along with a company, Iyalikam Nigeria Limited, on 10 counts of money laundering.

The judge had last Thursday granted Badeh bail in the sum of N2bn, which is to be guaranteed by two sureties in the sum of N1bn each.

Among other bail conditions imposed on Badeh, the judge ordered the ex-CDS to deposit both his blue and green passports with the court throughout the period of his trial.

Meanwhile, a lawyer to the former CDS, Mr. Samuel Zibiri (SAN), told SUNDAY PUNCH on Saturday that the two sureties the court mandated his client to produce had been secured and their details as well as the Certificates of Occupancy for their respective landed assets had been forwarded to the Chief Registrar for verification.

He said the ex-CDS should be out of prison by Monday.

Source: Punch

Police Set To Arraign 5 Over Nyanya, Kuje Bombings

The Nigeria Police Force are set to arraign five suspects over the October 2, 2015 twin bombings in Kuje and Nyanya areas of Abuja.

Speaking in his office at the Force Headquarters, Abuja, on Wednesday, the Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, said “after careful and discreet investigations into the recent bombings that took place in some parts of Abuja, the Nigeria Police Force will on October 22, 2015 take the suspects to the Federal High Court, Abuja for prosecution”.

Force spokesperson, Olabisi Kolawole, quoted Mr. Arase as saying “the five suspects were arrested at Karamajiji Village, behind National Military Cemetery along Airport Road, Abuja and dangerous bombing tools which include I-pad, Laptop and Phone believed to be used as materials for making bombs were recovered”.

The Police chief reportedly said “the arrest of the suspects was made possible by the proactive nature of the newly formed Intelligence Response Team, also warned Nigerians to avoid the temptation of picking 1-pad, phones or laptops not kept by them, as terrorists now use these items in manufacturing bombs, knowing its attractions and needs to the people.”

Credit: PremiumTimes