NUPENG Decries Lingering Fuel Crisis, Kicks Against Subsidy Removal

NIGERIA Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) has reaffirmed its aversion to oil subsidy removal, insisting that such a move can only be carried out when government has fully effected the complete turn around maintenance of four refineries to enable them produce optimally.

While vowing that the union would resist anti-people policies from the Federal Government, President of NUPENG, Igwe Achese, said, the refineries when put in use would cushion the hardship subsidy removal would have on the people.

In a related development, oil workers have alleged that the revised Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) due for presentation to the National Assembly contains anti-labour provisions.

President of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) Francis Johnson, who stated this yesterday at the union’s 4th triennial delegates’ conference, explained that oil workers will resist any provision that promotes job losses.

In a 10-point communique issued at the end of the National Executive Council (NEC), meeting held in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, NUPENG attributed the cause of the perennial fuel scarcity to the manner the Federal Government managed the subsidy, stressing that the union was watching how the policies were implemented.

He said: “The union condemned in its entirety the perennial and persistent fuel scarcity in the country and the hardship imposed on the masses, especially at this festive period.

In the circumstance, the NEC in session calls on the Federal Government and NNPC to flood the market with petroleum products to arrest the current prevalent fuel scarcity in the country.
“The current way and manner the subsidy issue is being managed is responsible for the fuel scarcity experienced across the country”, he added.

Credit: Guardian

Lamar Odom Kicks Khloe Kardashian Out Of His Hospital Room?

Khloe Kardashian has been by Lamar Odom’s side since he was hospitalized in Las Vegas last month, but reports are now claiming the basketball star has kicked her out.

According to Us Weekly, Lamar made the request after hearing negative things from his friends and family, who claim Khloe has used his hospitalization for publicity.

A source alleged that the 31-year-old kept 35-year-old Lamar’s children from visiting him in hospital, despite reports that she actually paid for his family to fly over to see him.

The source added that Lamar’s friends and family had ‘turned him against Khloe’, claiming she tipped off the paparazzi to show the Kardashians visiting him at the hospital.

His inner circle have also apparently told him that Khloe has taken credit for his recovery.

Not only that, but Khloe allegedly made members of his family sign confidentiality waivers before seeing him, with his cousin Sherae Clark-Williams apparently writing on Facebook: “I’m supposed to sign a waiver not to talk about North West, a child I have no interest in What so ever.”

A source said: “Lamar said he needed space and wanted to be alone. He told her to get out.”

However, a source close to Khloe denies the claims, saying he never told her to get out and that she’s ‘focused on making sure Lamar is stabilized’.

Credit: Yahoo

EFCC Kicks Against Dismissal Of Sylva’s N19.2bn Fraud Case, Says Judge Erred In Law

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Wednesday condemned the decision by a Federal High Court in Abuja to dismiss the case of alleged N19.2 billion fraud levelled against a former Bayelsa State governor, Timipre Sylva.

The EFCC in a statement by the head, media and publicity, Wilson Uwujaren, said the trial judge, A. R. Mohammed erred in law as the accused persons had not taken any plea.

Uwujaren said no proof of evidence was placed before the court and trial had also not commenced, adding that “the dismissal of the charge by Justice Mohammed, following the application of the Commission to consolidate the charges against the former governor and his accomplices, does not amount to a discharge or an acquittal, and it does not preclude the power of the agency to bring fresh charges against the defendants.”

The Court had dismissed the case Wednesday, accusing the EFCC of abusing the court process. The court’s decision came more than a week after the anti-graft agency withdrew part of the charges – a N2 billion fraud case – against the former governor.

The EFCC said it withdrew a six-count charge of fraud against Sylva as a prelude to the consolidation of all the charges against him. The commission had two cases against the former governor pending before two Federal High Courts in Abuja, and needed to consolidate them, the EFCC had said. Sylva was arraigned along three others – Francis Okokwo, Gbenga Balogun, and Samuel Ogbuku – by the EFCC.

They were accused of using three companies – Marlin Maritime Limited, Eat Catering Services Limited, and Haloween-Blue Construction and Logistics Limited to move about N19.2 billion from Bayelsa State coffers between 2009 and 2012, under false of using the withdrawn money to augment salaries of the state government workers.

Creditnewmail-ng