Ondo Election: Jimoh Ibrahim Reacts to A’Court Judgement, Heads to Supreme Court

The Ali Modu Sheriff-led Peoples Democratic Party candidate, Barrister Jimoh Ibrahim has reacted to the court of appeal judgement ordering his removal from the INEC list for the Saturday’s gubernatorial election in Ondo state.

Mr. Ibrahim in a statement released shortly after the judgement said he is certain of getting justice at the Supreme Court saying the incumbent governor, Olusegun Mimiko paid for the judgment with the state treasury.

His statement below:

I have read the decision of the Court of Appeal delivered today. We have nothing to lose as the Supreme Court seat on the same case tomorrow. We shall get justice at the Supreme Court and if PDP wins Saturday election we shall have our four years mandate to rule Ondo State.

Let me advise you not to abuse anyone or fight over this one day ruling, which was paid for from the state treasury
Mimiko will not succeed himself with Jegede this is too sure.

We continue with our work and remain in our great party PDP.

I love the great people of Ondo state and i thank you all for continuous support

Jimoh Ibrahim OFR, CFR
2016 PDP Candidate for Governorship Election Ondo state.

BREAKING: Jimoh Ibrahim sacked, Jegede is PDP candidate, Appeal Court rules.

The Court of Appeal has sacked Jimoh Ibrahim as the candidate of the PDP in Saturday’s governorship election in Ondo State.

 

The court, therefore, ordered that Mr. Ibrahim be replaced with Eyitayo Jegede, who belongs to the Ahmed Makarfi faction of the party.

 

The Appeal Court set aside a ruling of the Federal High Court by Justice Okon Abang which declared Mr. Ibrahim the candidate.

 

All the objections filed by Mr. Ibrahim and his loyalists at the Appeal Court were also dismissed.

 

Details later…

News Alert: Justice Saulawa Sets Aside Abang’s Ruling on PDP Ondo candidate

Justice Saulawa of Appeal Court sitting in Abuja has set aside Justice Okon Abang’s ruling that gave INEC order to publish Jimoh Ibrahim’s name as Ondo PDP candidate for Saturday’s election.

The Appeal Court said the principle of natural justice demands that all sides are given fair hearing and that Abang had no jurisdiction to order INEC order to publish Jimoh’s name as Ondo PDP candidate.

More is said that Ibrahim’s so-called Ibadan primaries is a sham according to constitutional provisions.

More details soon

Ondo Election: Jegede’s appeal must be heard – Supreme Court orders Appeal Court

The Supreme Court has ordered the Appeal Court to continue the hearing of the appeal of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, factional governorship candidate in Ondo State, Eyitayo Jegede.

 

Recall that Jegede, who is of the Ahmed Makarfi-led faction, had filed an appeal before the appellate court, seeking to upturn a Federal High Court ruling which replaced him with businessman, Jimoh Ibrahim as the party’s candidate in the November 26 governorship election in Ondo State.

 

The Court of Appeal, Abuja division, on Friday last week adjourned indefinitely the appeal by Jegede.

 

The Justice Ibrahim Saulawa-led panel explained that it took the decision to adjourn “sine die” to await for the decision of the Supreme Court on interlocutory appeal filed by the respondents.

Ondo 2016: Why We Named Jimoh Ibrahim, Not Jegede as PDP Candidate – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission has named businessman Jimoh Ibrahim as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party for the November 26 governorship election.

Mr. Ibrahim’s name was posted on an INEC notice board in Akure as well as on the commission’s website.

This implies that until a superior court gives a contrary judgment, Eyitayo Jegede, the candidate of the Ahmed Makarfi-led faction of the PDP will not be accepted as the party’s candidate.

A court order from an the Ondo State High Court on Wednesday restrained INEC from recognizing Mr. Ibrahim as the candidate of the PDP pending the determination of the substantive suit before the court.

The Ondo State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Olusegun Agbaje, however, told newsmen on Thursday night that Mr. Ibrahim was approved as candidate based on an order from the Federal High Court in Abuja presided over by Justice Okon Abang.

Mr. Abang had on October 14 declared Mr. Ibrahim the true candidate of the PDP. On Thursday, Mr. Abang rejected a plea by Mr. Jegede seeking to be allowed to appeal the October 14 court judgement.

It is based on these two court rulings that INEC approved Mr. Ibrahim as the PDP candidate.

“We received a court order from the High Court in Akure and that was yesterday(Wednesday), but there was a subsisting one by Justice Abang today(Thursday), that is what happened,” Mr. Agbaje said.

Asked if another court order can upturn the situation, Mr. Agbaje said INEC would have no choice but to drop Mr. Ibrahim if another superior order comes in favour of Mr. Jegede.
“That is why we put in front of the name ‘court order,’ to show that the name was picked as a result of an order of the court,” he said.

“The situation will continue that way until the matter is decided by the Supreme Court if the parties choose to proceed to the apex court.”

The commissioner said the politicians had brought themselves into a tight corner, noting that instead of going to the Court of Appeal, they were jumping from one high court to the other.

“Now they have to go on appeal at a higher court,” he said. “They are the ones undoing themselves and like I said, we do not have any candidate. We will only abide by the laws guiding the process.”

Ondo guber: I remain PDP candidate – Ibrahim

The factional candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the November 2016 Ondo State governorship election, Jimoh Ibrahim, has accused the Independent National Electoral Commission of trying to exclude him from the election by not accepting his papers as the authentic candidate of the PDP.

Addressing a press conference in Abuja, yesterday evening, Ibrahim, said the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is not an appeal court, therefore, cannot determine who is the PDP candidate in the election.

The business mogul’s claim to being the candidate of the PDP was strengthened last week when an Abuja high court ruled that the electoral body should recognise Ibrahim, who was produced by the Ali Modu Sheriff faction of the party.

His attempt to file the court judgement was allegedly rebuffed by an official of the commission whom he alleged demanded a bribe of $1million from him.

But the Chief Press Secretary to the chairman of INEC, Mr Rotimi Oyekunmi denied the allegations saying no demand was made of the candidate.

Speaking further on the matter, Jimoh Ibrahim said though the electoral body had said it will obey the court judgement immediately it was served, the music changed “immediately INEC was served the judgement.

“After the service, the music changed. INEC should not allow one governor to destroy its reputation. We are not saying that INEC will not obey the court judgement. One of the officials demanded for one million dollar bribe from me to process the court judgement,” he alleged.

The PDP chieftain, who said he had petitioned President Muhammadu Buhari and reported the official to the INEC chairman also demanded the removal of the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Ondo State, saying that he is a card carrying member of the PDP.

Jimoh said he cannot be trusted to conduct a free and fair election in the state.

However, in a reaction, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC chairman, Rotimi Oyekunmi said: ”It is not true that Mrs Babalola demanded one million dollar from Jimoh Ibrahim. Two other officials of INEC witnessed the encounter between Mrs Babalola and Ibrahim. Ibrahim brought a copy of his judgement and wanted to impress it on INEC to collect it but we told him we already have it. It is ungodly of a businessman of his stature to make this kind of allegation.”