14 Year Old Girl Chained By Her Parents Regains Freedom

A teenage girl, identified as Onyeka John, has regained freedom after she was allegedly chained by her mother to the burglar-proof bars for about one month.

The girl lived with her parents in a rented apartment on Serebe Street, Abaranje, in the Ikotun area of Lagos State.

The parents reportedly tied up John by the neck and legs for habitually running away from home, which they ascribed to mental illness.

It was learnt that the parents had gone out on Wednesday and locked up the girl as usual.

On that day, the landlord, Mr. Oladapo Olubajo, was said to have gone to the backyard, where the family’s apartment is located, to check a pumping machine when he saw the girl.

The landlord was said to have alerted a resident, who reported the case to the police at the Ikotun division.

The resident, who begged not to be named, said the girl’s parents eventually showed up at the police station and made statements.

He said, “The parents locked the girl up. She is about 14 years old. She was chained naked to the burglary inside the room by the neck and legs.  Policemen came to rescue the girl. Her parents later turned themselves in at the station. They said the girl had been a disgrace to the family.”

The landlord, Olubajo, told our correspondent that he wanted to take up the matter with the parents, but some residents prevailed on him not to.

He explained that he met the girl naked in the apartment, adding that the condition she was could frustrate her to commit suicide.

Olubajo said, “When I saw her chained to the burglar-proof  bar, I raised the alarm. The police later got the parents to the station and interrogated them.

“The girl said she had been there for almost one month. Her parents moved here a year ago. I have noticed that their behaviour was odd. but I didn’t know they could go to the extent of chaining the ir daughter.

“People begged me and the police eventually released the girl to them yesterday (Wednesday). The conclusion we reached is that I want them out of my house. They also claimed the girl is mentally ill. Even if she is mentally challenged, was that the right way to go about it? She could have killed herself.”

Onyeka’s father, who spoke on the telephone on Thursday, said he and his wife meant no harm for the girl.

He said, “She always runs away from home. That was why we chained her. I think she is mentally ill. We planned to take her to a hospital this month. As I speak now, she has fled home again.”

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, said the case was under investigation.

“The lady is suffering from mental illness. Her parents chained her to prevent her from entering the street, and without intention to harm her,” she added.

Credit: punchng

FOI: Delta commissioner convicted for withholding information

The Delta State Commissioner for Lands and Survey, Mr Daniel Okenyi and other top officials of the state government have been convicted for withholding information under the Freedom of Information Act.

They were convicted by a Kwale High Court of Justice for failure to release relevant land documents to community leaders from Umu-Okpala Omai family of Umusam community in Kwale.

The community leaders, relying on the FOI act, had written to the ministry and other relevant officials to demand records of land acquired by an oil firm, Midwestern Oil and Gas PLC at Umusadege marginal oil field in OML 56.

The commissioner, Mr Daniel Okenyi, along with his ministry, Permanent Secretary in the ministry and others were ordered by the presiding judge, Honourable Justice O Jalogho-Williams, to pay N2.5million.

They were also ordered to henceforth provide relevant land records and information to the community leaders in line with the FOI act.

In the judgement dated November 01, 2016 a copy of which was obtained by The Nation, Justice Jalogho-Williams agreed with the complainants, represented by Osteen Igbapike Esq., that as a public officer, the commissioner and the ministry acted against the FOI.

He stressed that they were obliged to release the relevant documents to the community leaders and awarded N200, 000 as cost of the suit against the commissioner.

Okenyi, who was second respondent in the case and four others, were therefore convicted of “willful denial of requested record/documents/information in the custody of the Ministry of Lands and Survey.”

Legal sources told our reporter that the very high-ranking Delta government might be the biggest public officeholder to be caught in the FOI net since the law was enacted.

The Nation gathered that the conviction followed a legal action instituted against the MLSUD by Pa Moses Okpala, Benedict Okweye, Sunday Ndubuishi, Nwaizemeka Fredrick and Okweye Sunday against the commissioner and the ministry for failure to release documents relating to the acquisition of a parcel of land for oil exploration activities by the oil firm.

It was learnt that they applied to the ministry to provide vital documents as to the acquisition of the land eight years.

Reacting to the judgement, Igbapike told our reporter, “The ministry has powers to the documents and they have access to it,” adding that more Nigerians should hold government officials accountant for failure to perform their duties.

He said that the FOI act provides that once your request is not answered, it is assumed that it has been denied and commended the judge for doing the right thing.

Meanwhile, attempts to get reaction of the commissioner and his ministry to the judgment were futile, although it was gathered that Okenyi and the other respondents failed to appear in court, respond or send representatives.

Abducted wives of Nasarawa Commissioner regain freedom

Hajia Rabi Aliyu and Hajia Larai Aliyu, wives of the Nasarawa State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Aliyu Tijjani, who were abducted from Nasarawa town, have regained their freedom.

 

DPS Kenedy Idrissu, Spokesman of the state Police Command, on Sunday in Lafia, said that the women were released by their abductors at about 11 p.m. on Saturday at Mararaba-Udege village in Nasarawa town.

He said the kidnappers were forced to release the women following sustained pressure from the Police search party.

 

He said no ransom was paid and that the victims were unhurt and had been reunited with their family.

 

According to Idrissu, no arrest has been made as investigation had begun to find those behind the incident.

 

The women were abducted at about 8 p.m. on Thursday from their residence in Nasarawa town by gunmen, who shot sporadically into the air before whisking away the victims in their vehicles.

Abducted Kaduna lawmaker, Ibrahim Ismail, Regains Freedom

A member of the Kaduna State House of Assembly, Hon Ibrahim Samaila, who was kidnapped by unknown gunmen at ?Abakpa community in Kaduna North on August 22nd, has regained his freedom.

Although N70 million ransom was reportedly demanded for, the lawmaker representing Tudun Wada Constituency, was released on Wednesday evening and has since reunited with his family.

Kaduna State Police Command spokesman, ASP Aliyu Usman, confirmed this but did not disclose
whether ransom was paid before his release, or whether the police arrested any of the kidnappers involved.

#Abusidiq Speaks Up After Regaining Freedom

Abubakar Usman, a pro-government blogger detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over a story he posted on his website, on Wednesday slammed the Buhari administration for allegedly enabling acts that contradicted the spirit of his campaign.

Mr. Usman, an ardent supporter of the ruling All Progressives Congress, vowed to pursue causes that would help engender a Nigeria in which citizens were not punished for exercising their freedom of expression.

“This is a government that I fought for. But occurrences like these are not the experiences that myself and millions of Nigerians have fought for,” Mr. Usman said. “Moving forward, I will be pursuing all legal and constitutionally established avenues to ensure that this does not repeat itself.”

Mr. Usman’s remarks came hours after he was released from detention, where he spent nearly two days.

Mr. Usman was taken from his home by operatives of the EFCC on Monday morning and his arrest and confinement sparked widespread outrage, with people of divergent political affiliations rising in unison to condemn the development.

Sources within his family said he was arrested over a story he ran on his blog on August 2, which EFCC deemed critical of its chairman, Ibrahim Magu.

A statement later issued same day by the agency said Mr. Usman was wanted for cyberstalking, an offence that allegedly breached provisions of Cyber Crime Act.

Wilson Uwujaren, EFCC spokesman, did not list the specific sections that were contravened. He, however, noted that Mr. Usman had been given administrative bail subject to fulfilment of its conditions.

Read More:

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/208355-buhari-govt-let-pro-apc-blogger-says-regaining-freedom.html

Jonathan’s Foster Father Regains Freedom

Less than 24 hours after Bayelsa State Commissioner of Police, Peter Ogunyanwo disclosed that  former president Goodluck Jonathan has vowed not to pay ransom to secure the release of his cousin who also doubles as his foster father, Chief Nitabai Inegite, the 72-year-old has regained his freedom.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr Anisim Butswat, who confirmed the release of Inegite said details of his release are still sketchy.

Inegite and one of his nephews, Samuel Okies were kidnapped on February 17 from the residence of the Inegites in Otuoke. Two days after, Okies was found dead with his body floating on Otuoke River.

The kidnappers were said to have reduced their initial ransom from N50 million to N2 million but Jonathan insisted that he was not going to pay.

The Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Police command, Mr Peter Ogunyanwo had disclosed in Yenagoa during the parade of 37 armed robbery and kidnap suspects  the decision by Jonathan not to pay ransom so as to discourage kidnapping.

“On the kidnap of the foster father of former president Gooluck Jonathan, Chief Inegite, I have met several times with the former president and he has insisted that he is not going to pay ransom. The kidnappers have reduced their ransom to about N2million but the former President said he would not pay it. We are on the trail of the kidnappers and we would get them. People should not pay ransom. Just like Governor Henry Seriake Dickson also did not pay ransom for the freedom of his sister, people should be discouraged from paying ransom so that the business of kidnapping would stop,” he said.

Ogunyanwo explained that since assumption of duty in the state, the command has enthroned a robust crime fighting strategy which has culminated in the arrest of 37 suspects in different parts of the state.

While disclosing that criminal elements are devising various ways to beat security network, he said the state Police command is up to the task to combat crime.

Ogunyanwo, who said the Police foiled a kidnap attempt of the newly sworn in chairman of the state Environmental Sanitation Authority, Robert Enogha, urged members of the public to come with useful information that would ensure that criminal elements are not allowed to operate in the state.

He stated that once investigations were completed in most of the  cases, the suspects would be charged to court in line with recommendations from the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).

Credit: Sun

Chief Olu Falae Reportedly Regains Freedom

Former Secretary to Government of the Federation (SGF) and Afenifere chieftain, Chief Olu Falae, has been released.

Though details of his freedom is still sketchy but it was gathered that the former presidential candidate is on his way to his country home in Akure, the Ondo State capital.

Chief Olu Falae was Monday kidnapped on his farm at Ilado Village in Akure North Local Government area of Ondo State.

Read More: vanguardngr

Jail Or Freedom? Fani-Kayode To Know Fate July 1

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday fixed July 1 for judgment in the money laundering trial of a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode.
Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia adjourned the case to July 1 following the absence of the lead prosecuting counsel, Festus Keyamo.

When a lawyer announced appearance for Mr. Keyamo, the judge said she would prefer Mr. Keyamo, who had been prosecuting the case.

Ms. Ofili-Ajumogobia had on May 5 fixed June 18 for judgment following adoption of final written addresses and summary arguments by lawyers to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as well as that of the accused.

Mr. Fani-Kayode, whose trial began in 2008 before Justice Ramat Mohammed, was arraigned by the EFCC for allegedly laundering about N100 million while he was minister of culture and tourism and subsequently, aviation minister.

The allegedly laundered sum was, however, reduced to N2.1million on Nov. 17, 2014 after Ms. Ofili-Ajumogobia dismissed 38 of the 40-count charge levelled against Mr. Fani-Kayode for want of proof.

The EFCC prosecutor, Mr. Keyamo, while urging the court to uphold the remaining two counts and to accordingly convict Mr. Fani-Kayode, said the former minister failed to exonerate himself of the allegations.

Read More: premiumtimesng

BAMIDELE ATURU SECURES FIRST FOI ORDER

 

Bamidele Aturu

The struggle for transparency and openness received a boost today, the 1st day of March 2012 as Honourable Justice B.F.M Nyako of the Lagos Judicial Division of the Federal High Court granted the claim of Olasupo Ojo Esq in his action for himself and on behalf of the Committee for the Defence Human Rights (CDHR) under the Freedom of Information Act, 2011. The law firm of Bamidele Aturu and Co had approached the court on behalf of the Plaintiff for an order of mandamus directing the EFCC to disclose to or make available to him the information he requested in his solicitor’s letter to the Commission dated the 7th day of June 2011.

It will be recalled that the EFCC had accused Mr Ojo who was then the President of the CDHR of compromising himself and the organization by collecting the sum of N52 Million from some of the suspects being investigated by the Commission in order to weaken it. On the instruction of our client we wrote pursuant the Freedom of Information Act to the Commission on the 7th of June 2011 demanding the following:

a.       Name of the suspect or suspects that gave N52 Million to the leadership of the CDHR

b.      Persons in the leadership of the CDHR to whom the money was given

c.       The manner in which the money was paid, that is, when, where and how.

The Commission, under the controversial former leadership, failed to deliver the information sought by our client in breach of the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. The order of the court today is a mandatory one which must be obeyed by the Commission. Effectively, the court has directed the Commission to supply the information requested by us on behalf of our client.

We expect the new leadership of the Commission to comply with the Court order forthwith. But if it does not, we will do everything humanly and legally possible to ensure that somebody gets decisively punished for disobeying the order. Our firm reiterates that in order to build democracy, statutory bodies must refrain from maligning credible individuals to score cheap and infamous points. We are committed to this goal implacably.

In the meantime we are grateful to God that we succeeded in obtaining the first order under the Freedom of Information Act. We also commend the justice for her courage. Nigerians must make use of the Act to expose corruption and corrupt or reckless public officials. May God bless Nigeria.

Bamidele Aturu Esq