WhatsApp Extends Shutdown On BBOS, Blackberry 10 Phones To June 2017

Messaging app WhatsApp has reversed its decision to stop supporting some specific phones which includes Blackberry OS, Blackberry 10 at the end of the year . Recall that the initial deadline given was December 31 2016. WhatsApp has now shifted the “dooms-day” to June 2017.

The initial deadline caused a lot of frenzy as users of phones that fell into the category of phones that were not compatible with WhatsApp had started selling their phones off or swapping directly for those that support WhatsApp after December 2016.

Colombia’s President Extends Ceasefire With Rebels Through Year End

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has extended a ceasefire with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) through the end of the year in order to give more time for a peace deal rejected by voters.

Santos made the announcement about the extension with Colombia’s largest rebel group during a televised speech on Thursday.

The original ceasefire, which was put in place in August, was nullified when the peace accord was narrowly rejected in a referendum earlier this month.

This came after President Santos, who won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to clinch the deal, heard proposals from representatives of those who voted against the agreement.

Santos said he decided to further extend the ceasefire after meeting with students who are demanding that the ceasefire be implemented despite its failure at the polls.

“One of the students reminded me, that in the army and in the guerrilla ranks, there are young people waiting to see what happens, hoping that they don’t need to fire another shot,” Santos said in the televised address, adding, “For that reason, and at the request of the students, I have taken the decision to extend the ceasefire until Dec. 31.”

On Wednesday, thousands of people marched in the Colombian capital Bogota to voice support for the peace deal between the government and FARC rebels. Students and victims of the decades-long war also took part in the march.

Read More: presstv

PDP Holds Convention, Extends Makarfi, Others’ Tenure

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday defied attempts by the police and the Department of State Service (DSS) to scuttle its national convention, as delegates relocated to the state secretariat of the party in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to hold the convention.
The police had sealed off the Sharks Stadium venue of the convention and barred delegates from gaining access to the venue.

But at the state secretariat of the party at Aba Road, the Chairman of the National Caretaker Committee of the PDP, Senator Ahmed Makarfi, declared the convention open.
The convention approved the extension of the tenure of the caretaker committee led by Makarfi by 12 months and also increased its membership from seven to 13 through a motion moved by the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, and seconded by a former Minister of Women Affairs, Hajia Zainab Maina.

The Chairman of the National Convention Planning Committee and Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, pushed for the extension of the caretaker committee, which was unanimously approved.
The convention had earlier adopted a motion moved by the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives, Leo Ogor, and seconded by the Chairman of the Federal Capital Territory chapter of the PDP, Alhaji Yusuf Suleiman, to amend the agenda of the convention and step down the issue of election.

Markarfi, addressing the convention after the extension of his committee’s tenure, assured the delegates that his committee would effectively position the party for 2019 and would organise another convention within the period.
Markarfi had earlier inaugurated the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party.
Performing the inauguration at the Government House, Port Harcourt, Makarfi said the NEC included the PDP governors, National Assembly Caucus, Board of Trustees (BoT), National Caucus, the 36 state PDP chairmen and national officers of the party.

He said in the absence of the elected national officers, the National Caretaker Committee members would be part of NEC, adding that his committee members would cease to be NEC members once national officers are elected.
At the meeting were the PDP governors, National Assembly Caucus, members of the PDP BoT, National Caucus, 36 state PDP chairmen and National Caretaker Committee members of the party.

Read More: thisdaylive

Buhari Extends Stay In London Till Sunday

President Muhammadu Buhari will not return to Nigeria from London, where he is spending his 10-day medical vacation, until Sunday.

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo disclosed this to State House correspondents on Thursday shortly before the commencement of a meeting of the National Economic Council at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Buhari’s 10-day vacation expired on Wednesday.

By the time he would be arriving in Nigeria on Sunday, he would have spent 14 days.

He was earlier scheduled to arrive the country on Thursday.

Osinbajo however said it was just appropriate for Buhari to take the weekend off and rest very well in London before returning to the country.

He said he had spoken to the President on the telephone and he was in good health condition.

The Vice-President said Buhari would resume in his office on Monday morning.

Osinbajo said, “The President will be back on Sunday. I spoke with him yesterday evening and I think it is just the best that he takes the weekend off. He will certainly be back on Sunday.

“I think the most straightforward thing is when he will be back. He will be back on Sunday. There is no point rushing back on Friday or something like that.

“He will just take the weekend off and be back on Sunday. He is in perfect health and ready to resume work on Monday morning.

“Mr. President is in good condition, he is fine, he is very well. He should take a day or two off in London and rest a bit and come back hale and hearty on Sunday and be ready for work on Monday. So we expect him back on Sunday.”

Credit: Punch

Kaduna Govt. Extends Time For Investigation Of Shiite/Army Clash

The Kaduna State Government has granted a four-week extension to the Judicial Commission of inquiry in Shiite/Army clash in Zaria

The statement stated that the state government granted the extension following a request by the Chairman of the commission, Justice Muhammed Garba.

This is contained in a statement by Samuel Aruwan, Special Assistant to the Governor on Media and Publicity in Kaduna on Tuesday.

The statement stated that the commission, which had six weeks to submit its final report, had inaugural sitting on Feb. 22 and was expected to wind up on April 4.

It stated that the commission’s proceedings had been repeatedly adjourned to enable the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) to submit its memorandum.

The statement stated that the proceedings were adjourned on Feb. 24, Feb. 29, Feb. 7, March 1, and March 14, respectively.

It stated that these adjournments were to provide a level playing ground and opportunity for fair fairing to all parties involved in the subject of the inquiry.

These adjournments have taken up the time of the commission and as such more time is required to conduct the business of the commission.

Credit: Guardian

CBN Extends BVN Registration For Nigerians In Diaspora To June 30

Four days after the deadline for Nigerian bank customers abroad to enroll for the Bank Verification Number, BVN, lapsed, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, yesterday gave another respite to Nigerians in Diaspora by extending till June 30, the timeline for their compliance with the guideline.

A Notice to the effect sourced by our correspondent from the apex bank’s website signed by the Director of Banking Supervision, Mr. ‘Dipo Fatokun, indicated that the deadline for registration for BVN and linkage of accounts was extended from January 31, 2016 to June 30 2016.
According to the banking sector regulatory financial institution, the decision is necessitated by low percentage of registration of Nigerian banks’ customers in Diaspora which may be attributed to lack of accessibility of registration centres and unavailability of registration centres in some cities where Nigerian population is high.

The CBN listed 30 centres where Nigerians in Diaspora can register for BVN, adding that plans are on to deploy more centers in locations with high Nigerian population. It therefore enjoined Nigerian banks’ customers who are yet to comply to do so before e end of the new deadline.

In the United States of America, the CBN cited in Washington DC, Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, New York and San Fransisco while in the United Kingdom, two centres, Leicester and Manchester, were approved for the exercise.
It clarified: “There is a center in Dubai of the United Arab Emirates, as well as Johannesburg and Cape Town in South Africa. There is another center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and three in China, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. “In Canada, centers have been cited in Toronto and Vancouver.

Centers have also been cited in Paris, France; Rome, Italy; Sau Paulo, Brazil; Kiev, Ukraine and New Delhi, India. “Three centers were set up in Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Jeddah and Al Khobar) and Australia (Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth) each,” it added.

Credit: NationalMirror

CBN Extends BVN Registration For Armed Forces

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has approved the extension of registration for the Biometric Verification Number (BVN) for men of the Armed Forces.

The Deputy Governor Operations of the CBN, Mr Suleiman Barau, gave a hint about the extention at a budget defense session in the National Assembly on Monday.

He told the Senate Committee on Appropriation that the CBN had received the request of the Defense Minister for an extension of the deadline for the BVN registration.

Mr Barau, who came along with other relevant stakeholders concerned with the proposed 465 billion Naira Supplementary Budget, said that the bank understood the plight of the military operatives.

Earlier, the Minister of Defense, Mr Dan Ali Mohammed, had asked the Senate Committee on Appropriation to intervene and urged the CBN to extend the BVN registration for military operatives.

Credit: ChannelsTV

Ambode Extends Hand Of Partnership To All Opposition, Thanks Agbaje

The Lagos State Governor-elect, Akinwunmi Ambode has called on the PDP governorship candidate, Jimi Agbaje and others who contested against him to join hands with his administration to build the state. Ambode spoke on Sunday while delivering his acceptance speech at the APC secretariat in Lagos shortly after he was declared winner of the governorship elections.

Ambode was announced as winner of the Saturday election after securing 811 994 votes against his PDP’s closest rival, Agbaje who scored 659 788 votes. “To my main opponent, Jimi Agbaje of the PDP, I thank you for a keen contest and invite you, alongside other gubernatorial candidates, to join hands with me in moving Lagos forward,” he said.

Ambode also promised Lagos residents that his administration would build on the legacy and achievements of his predecessors, Gov. Babatunde Fashola and Chief Bola Tinubu. I am humbled that you have placed your trust and faith in me. The love of this state and our common belief in what we can accomplish, our belief in what this state already is, and in what it is destined to become binds us together in a social and moral contract of high purpose.”

“I shall honour that contract with every fibre of my being. This day I pledge to you that I shall devote myself to bringing even greater prosperity, growth and development to every inch of this state. I also pledge that I shall build on legacy and progress of my predecessors,” Ambode said.

The governor-elect promised to bring the best of ?Lagos into his government saying that the people would be proud and glad for choosing him as their governor. “The people of Lagos have demonstrated that Lagos is not about ethnicity or religion but about a common desire to enthrone good ?governance. Lagos under my watch will not discriminate. It has not in the past. And will not in the present; not even in the future, there will be no political victimisation.”

“By affirming your faith in the APC and in me, you have, for the first time in 60 years, married progressive governance at the national level with progressive government at the state level,” he said.

Ambode noted that finally, Lagos State government and the Federal government would be of one vision, one mind and one accord. “The ramifications of this harmonious unity are completely positive.” This is a chance that we have worked toward for many years. The joint infrastructural and employment projects and collaboration between the state and the federal will quicken the improvement of our roads, schools, power generation and the entire array of social services.”

“This new era of cooperation between the state and federal government promises to be a golden period for Lagos and for all Lagosians to share equally therein,” he said.

Ambode said Lagos would enjoy optimal development and growth through APC governance working in tandem at the state and federal levels. “This cooperation and enhanced policy harmony will surely pay handsome dividends,” he said. Ambode congratulated INEC for a job well done and keeping alive Nigeria’s hope for a brighter democracy.

Credit: NAN