Judge disqualifies self from Adegboruwa’s trial

Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday washed her hands off the criminal case filed against Lagos-based activist lawyer, Mr. Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

The judge, who announced her decision in the open court, said it was based on “personal reasons.”

She said she had decided to return the case file to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Ibrahim Auta, for assignment to another judge.

Out of nine witnesses listed to testify, EFCC had already called two.

The EFCC, in the case, marked, FHC/L/181c/2016, accused Adegboruwa of dealing in a landed property in defiance of a court order.

It arraigned the lawyer on May 13, 2016 on one count alongside one Jonathan Udeagbala, said to be at large.

The anti-graft agency claimed that Adegboruwa and Udeagbala dealt in a property “lying, being and situate at House 105, Nicon Estate, Lekki, Lagos,” without the authorisation of the EFCC.

The prosecution said property was a subject of litigation before Justice C. A. Balogun of the Lagos State High Court.

The EFCC claimed that on August 13, 2013, Adegboruwa and Udeagbala leased the property in defiance of an order of interim injunction made by Justice Balogun on June 18, 2012, concerning the property.

The defendants were accused of leasing the property to one Shelf Drilling Nigeria Limited in the sum of N61,631,944.65, which the EFCC claimed was credited to Adegboruwa’s account with Zenith Bank.

The prosecutor claimed that Adegboruwa and Udeagbala committed an offence punishable under Section 32(1) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act 2004.

But Adegboruwa pleaded not guilty, following which Justice Oguntoyinbo admitted him to a N10m bail with two sureties in like sum.

The sureties, the judge said, must be landed property owners in Lagos, whose bank account details and office and residential addresses must be verified by the court’s registrar.

Meanwhile, a Lagos State High Court in Igbosere, presided over by Justice Aishat Opesanwo, had, after Adegboruwa’s arraignment, reportedly vacated the interim order of Justice C.A. Balogun, which the EFCC alleged that Adegboruwa defied.?

Abacha Loot: FG Wins Case As Malami Heads To U.S. Next Week For Repatriation

The Federal Government has won the case to have the country’s money looted by ex-head of state, Sani Abacha repatriated from the United State of America where the fund has been stashed.

This is equally as the Attorney-General, Malami is billed to visit US next week for the fund’s repatriation. This was disclosed, Friday, by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu.

Shehu was reacting to some claims making the rounds that President Buhari had donated USD 500 million to Democratic Hillary Clinton’s campaign in the recently held Presidential elections in U.S which saw the Republican Donald Trump emerge the President-elect.

According to Shehu, Nigeria has no such money to throw around and even if it does have, President Buhari who has zero tolerance for waste cannot do such unjustifiable act. “What is the craziest accusation made against President Buhari?”

“That he donated USD 500 million to Hillary’s campaign and that Donald Trump is angry. This has gone viral, sadly Nigerians are believing it!”

“President Buhari’s Nigeria doesn’t have this kind of money to throw around. Even if the money is there, this President is the least likely person to give it as donation, and for what?”

“As we speak, President Buhari is concluding agreements with the U.S. to return our stolen money in their banks. A FGN account has already been given for the return of one million Dollars from Alamisiegha.”

“Judgement on the USD 480 million Abacha loot has been won and our Attorney-General, Malami (SAN) will be in the US next week to speak to the Department of Justice, USDOJ on the next steps for the return of that as well.”

Credit:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/abacha-loot-fg-wins-case-malami-heads-u-s-next-week-repatriation/

Metuh Hospitalized After Vomitting, Case Adjourned

Spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh, has been admitted at the National Hospital after throwing up.

Metuh had been scheduled to appear before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja for the continuation of his trial for money laundering.

However, his counsel, Emeka Etiaba, told the court that the PDP spokesperson was ill and sought the adjournment of the trial.

Consequently, the judge adjourned the case to May 23.

Online newspaper, The Cable, reported that the PDP spokesperson vomited repeatedly on his way to court. It quoted a source as saying his condition was serious.

Metuh had been taken to the National Hospital late April after he fell at PDP secretariat in Abuja.

He had been about to take his seat for a meeting of the National Working Committee of the Party when he slipped.

He had complained of serious back ache before the incident occurred.

Credit: Punch

One Known Ebola Case Left In Guinea After Girl’s Discharge

A dedicated Ebola clinic was treating Guinea’s only known case of the virus on Thursday after the recovery of a girl diagnosed with the disease, the charity running the facility said.

The Alliance For International Medical Action (ALIMA) runs the country’s sole treatment centre in the southern city of Nzerekore, where it has handled six of the 10 confirmed cases recorded since the outbreak was officially declared over in December.

“(Of) six confirmed cases, four have died, one was discharged after recovery and the sixth is still here,” said ALIMA emergency co-ordinator Solenne Barbe.

Barbe attributed the high mortality rate to the fact that the recent patients arrived too late to be treated with a good chance of survival.

The newest confirmed case is an elderly man from Macenta prefecture to the north of Nzerekore, she said, thought to be a healer visited by one of the dead while still alive and infected with the virus.

Credit: Guardian

ECOWAS Court To Hear Dasuki’s Case

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) court has set aside objections by the Federal Government to a case brought before it by former national security adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki, who claimed that he has been unlawfully arrested and detained without trial.

The court ruled on Monday that it will hear the case, saying the matter dealt with “fundamental” human rights issues.

Dasuki, on trial for fraud in connection with the alleged looting of millions of dollars from arms contracts, has been detained since December despite being granted bail.

“From the totality of the issues brought before this court, it is clear and there is no ambiguity that the applicant is seeking enforcement of his right to freedom,” said Judge Friday Chijoke Nwoke.

“In our opinion, what Dasuki brought before us as a case is an issue for the enforcement of his fundamental rights to liberty.”

The ECOWAS decision to hear Dasuki’s case comes less than a week after an Abuja court directed the Nigerian government to allow the former security chief access to his lawyers.

Credit: ngrgaurdian

Arase Makes Case For Local Breed, As Dog Spending Hit N600m

The Nigerian Police Force spent over N600 million for the procurement and maintenance of foreign dogs in the country.

The  Inspector General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase,  disclosed this at the commissioning of the ultra-modern mounted troop/veterinary complex and state of the art dog breeding centre, yesterday in Abuja.

According to him, the construction of the Dog Breeding Centre was to aid the Nigeria Police acquire capacity to locally breed police dogs and be self-reliant in dog breeding as well as maintenance in a cost effective manner.

Arase lamented that huge funds were being expended on importation of dogs from foreign countries,  even though  some of these dogs rarely adapt to Nigeria’s policing climes, saying, “This is certainly not sustainable especially in the face of dwindling resources.”

Meanwhile, he disclosed that  in support of  government  policy on Made-In-Nigeria Goods, the Nigeria police has adopted Binggo Dog food for their dogs to help the naira and general economy.

Arase said the construction of the Dog Breeding Centre was to aid the Nigeria Police acquire capacity to locally breed police dogs and be self-reliant in dog breeding as well as maintenance in a cost effective manner.“The initiative is also designed to, in the long-term, support the operations dog requirement of sister law enforcement organisations, armed forces as well as breeding of friendly puppies for the civilian population on commercial basis. This is with the intention of evolving the centre into a self-sustaining dog breeding centre as practiced in other climes.

“The breeding centre being commissioned today has the capacity to conveniently breed and supply police dogs to the entire West African sub-region and it is projected that at optimal breeding capacity, it can produce well above 200 dogs per year. “With this commissioning, procurement of dogs for policing activities from foreign countries would now become a thing of the past.

Prosecutor Closes Case In Metuh’s Trial

The prosecution has closed its case against the spokesman for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Olisa Metuh.

The case was closed after the 8th prosecution witness briefed the court on how Mr Metuh had destroyed his statement during investigation by the anti-graft agency.

Under cross examination, the witness, Mr Junaid Sa’id, said that after Mr Metuh had written in his statement that the monies he received from the Office of the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki, was for campaign activities as approved by former President Goodluck Jonathan and for the payment of his personal debt.

Credit: ChannelsTv

Dasuki’s Trial Stalled, Case Adjourned Till January 22

The trial of the former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki, in a case filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for alleged criminal diversion of over 19 billion Naira has been stalled at the FCT High Court Abuja.

The case which is before Justice Hussein Baba Ahmed was stalled following a letter from the Counsel to Mr Dasuki.

The Counsel to Dasuki claimed that he is before an election tribunal matter in Kogi State, and as such the court should adjourn the case till January 22, to enable him defend his client.

As a result, Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf, therefore adjourned the case till Friday, January 22 for trial to commence.

On Wednesday, a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja ordered the Federal Government to produce Col. Dasuki in court on February 16 and 17, 2016 for trial.

Credit: ChannelsTv

Sierra Leone Confirms Second Ebola Case

Sierra Leone confirmed a new case of Ebola on Wednesday, its second in less than a week, marking a further setback in efforts to end a two-year West African epidemic that has killed more than 11,300 people.

Health ministry spokesman, Sidi Yahyah Tunis, described the new patient as a 38-year-old woman, a relative who had helped care for the earlier victim Mariatu Jalloh.

Reuters reported that Jalloh died on January 12, and tested positive for Ebola posthumously.

Credit: Nation

Court Adjourns Dasuki’s Case Till Jan. 20

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday adjourned hearing in the trial of former National Security Adviser (NSA), retired Col. Sambo Dasuki, till Jan. 20, 2016.

Dasuki, the NSA during the administration of former President Goodlcuk Jonathan, is standing trial on allegations of illegal possession of firearms and money laundering.
He had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Justice Adeniyi Ademola adjourned the case for hearing in the applications by the prosecution seeking to revoke the bail granted to Dasuki.
He said the court will also hear another application by the prosecution seeking to stop Dasuki from travelling abroad for medical attention.

Counsel to the defendant, Joseph Daudu (SAN), had told the court that he filed notice of preliminary objections to the two applications by the prosecution.

The prosecution counsel, Mr Oladipo Okpeseyi, said he had just been served with the notices of objection and would need time to reply to them.

Credit: NAN

DSS Seeks Withdrawal Of Case Against Nnamdi Kanu

The Department of State Service (DSS), has filed an application before a Magistrate Court sitting in Abuja seeking to withdraw the case of criminal conspiracy and criminal intimidation preferred against the leader of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

At the resumed hearing of the case on Monday, the prosecutor told the court that the DSS had uncovered fresh facts against the accused person who is also being tried for unlawfully belonging to an illegal society.

He added that the ?facts against the accused person requires further investigation.

Lawyer to the accused person, however, opposed the application on the ground that the State Service had refused to comply with the order of the court granting the accused person bail since October 19, 2015.

He further prayed the court to order the DSS to transfer the accused person to prison custody for easy access by his lawyers.

Credit: ChannelsTV

SSS Seeks Transfer Of Nnamdi Kanu’s Case To Higher Court

The State Security Service on Monday asked an Abuja magistrate court to discontinue its case against the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu.

Mr. Kanu was arraigned for criminal conspiracy, engaging in unlawful society and criminal intimidation, which violate Section 97, 97B and 397 of the penal code.

The presiding magistrate, Usman Shuaibu, had issued an order for the bail of Mr. Kanu on the condition of presenting a surety of Grade Level 16 with a landed property in Garki or Wuse areas worth N20 million.

On resumption today, the prosecution counsel, Moses Idakwo, told the court the accused person was yet to fully meet the requirement for his bail.

He explained that the reason for Mr. Kanu’s continued detention in the custody of the SSS was his inability to fully meet the requirement for bail.

He told the court that although the service had confirmed the office of the surety presented by the accused, the location of the surety’s plot was yet to be ascertained.

Counsel to the defense, Vincent Obete, however informed the court about the affidavit before it, noting that the prosecution refused taking the necessary step to confirm the location of the surety’s plot of land.

Credit: PremiumTimes

Judge Pulls Out Of Saraki’s Trial, Wants Case Reassigned

A High Court judge who granted an order that appeared to halt the trial of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, over alleged corruption, has stood down from the case.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court excused himself from the case on Wednesday, and transferred the matter to the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Mahmud Mohammed, for reassigning, the News Agency of Nigeria reported.

He said he took the decision due to “negative reports”, NAN reported.

Mr. Saraki is facing a 13-count charge of alleged corruption and false declaration of assets before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

He denies wrongdoing and says the case was instigated by those angry he became the Senate president.

Read More: premiumtimesng

Akwa Ibom: As PDP Closes Case, Tribunal Orders INEC To Open Defence

As the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and Governor Emmanuel Udom closed their case yesterday, the Akwa Ibom State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal in Abuja has ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to open its defence against the allegations of aiding election malpractices in the April 11 polls.

The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Sadiq Umar, gave the order after counsel to the PDP, Tayo Oyetibo (SAN), announced that the party would not present additional witnesses originally listed to testify at the tribunal.

As a result, Justice Umar ordered INEC as the third respondent in the petition, to present its defence today (Tuesday) when the proceedings will commence.

Read Morethisdaylive

Diezani, Others In Oil Block Sale Case

The House of Representatives yesterday rejected a move to clear the immediate past minister of petroleum resources, Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke, and others of any wrondoing in the allocation of seven Oil Mining Leases (OMLs).

The attempt to exonerate Allison-Madueke by an Ad hoc Committee of the House was sequel to investigation into alleged shady deals involving the former minister and other corporate entities namely the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC), Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), Atlantic Energy Drilling Concept Ltd, and Septa Energy Ltd, in respect to the farm-out or allocation of OMLs 4, 26, 30, 34, 38, 41 and 42.

The report of the investigation was submitted and laid before the House since February 13, 2015, by the chairman of the Ad hoc Committe, Hon Ajibola Muraina.

But a motion for the consideration of the said report moved by Muraina at plenary yesterday was rejected apparently due to a recommendation of the committee which sought a clean bill of health to all those involved in the allocation of the OMLs.

‘’That a clean bill of health be given to all the parties involved in this transaction as the entire transaction conformed to all the applicable laws,’’ the committee said in one of its recommendations.

It also suggested that operators in the oil industry should deliberately encourage transparency in their operations in order to avoid unnecessary suspicions.

Credit: Leadership