Some Candidates Forget Expo In Answer Booklets– WAEC

In a hurry to submit their answer booklets to invigilators, some candidates forget their expo (materials used for examination malpractice) in the booklets, the West African Examination Council has said.

 The council also noted that some other candidates use different answer booklets from its authorised copies.

Its Public Relations Officer, Mr. Demianus Ojijeogu, who confirmed this in an interview with our correspondent, however, added that the council had reduced the incidence of impersonation in its examinations through its biometric registration process

He said, “We encounter malpractice during the examination and during marking. Some leave the expo in the answer booklets. We see that all the time. Others use other answer booklets different from the council’s own. But, we discover these things during marking because the booklets do not have our serial numbers and they are not usually signed by the supervisors. Supervisors usually sign the booklets before they are given to the candidates.

“We have been able to handle impersonation through our biometric process but there is still collusion where candidates will copy exactly the same answers usually dictated by a teacher. We have our invigilators but the number is limited.  When you leave the centre or before we get there, they will do what they want.”

He added that the council was still dealing with challenges of collusion, which involved teachers aiding candidates during examination.

Ojijeogu, who said that some candidates harassed supervisors, noted that the development had forced the council to adopt a more discreet approach in making announcements regarding examination malpractice.

Read More:

http://punchng.com/candidates-forget-expo-answer-booklets-waec/

FG Begins Shortlisting Candidates For 500,000 Jobs– Lai Mohammed

The Federal Government has commenced shortlisting candidates for the 500,000 jobs it promised.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, disclosed this on Tuesday, in Abuja when a delegation of the National Council for Women’s Societies (NCWS) paid him a courtesy visit in his office.

Mohammed said that applications were being received and government had started processing them for the recruitment.

“The process for the recruitment has started. About 1.2 million people applied and they classified them into categories including agriculture support officers, teachers, technical officers and so on,’’ he said.

The minister also said that the payment of N5,000 conditional cash transfer promised by the government would begin before the end of the month.

He said the Minister of Finance, Dr Kemi Adeosun had earlier announced this. Mohammed reiterated the commitment of the government to improving the well-being and standard of living of the citizens.

“We are very concerned about the welfare of Nigerians and we are not sleeping; we are working day and night to ensure that the country retraces its step.

“Many of our critics have been unfair to us because many of them know that we did not invent the problems we are facing today. “ This is time to join hands together to support the government to move the nation forward,’’ he said.

Read More:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/fg-begins-shortlisting-candidates-500000-jobs-lai-mohammed/

UNILAG To Screen Candidates Despite List Withdrawal By JAMB

The University of Lagos on Monday says it will go ahead with its screening of prospective candidates for admission into the 2016/2017 academic session as scheduled.

The institution’s Deputy Registrar, (Information), Mr. Toyin Adebule, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos.

Adebule gave the university’s position against the backdrop of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board withdrawing the list of recommended candidates for admission, earlier sent to the various universities.

JAMB, in the statement signed by its Head of Media and Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, stated that the withdrawal was to ensure that the senate of each of the universities performed its statutory functions.

NAN reports that UNILAG had, last month, announced that it would begin screening candidates, who chose the institution as their first choice with a cut-off point of 200 and above, between Wednesday Aug. 3, 2016 and Aug. 24, 2016.

“We want to inform the public that our screening, for candidates that will be admitted for the 2016/17 academic session, will still hold as scheduled from Aug. 3, 2016 to Aug. 24, 2016. It is true that JAMB had sent a list to us, which it had considered as those who met our cut-off point. It is this same list that it withdrew to allow the universities to carry out their admission process as required by the law setting up their senates.

“There are statutory functions meant for all university senates, among which admissions is part one. It is only after selecting the candidates for admission that the senate refers the list to JAMB for confirmation in line with the admission criteria of merit, catchment and educationally disadvantaged states. And so, it is only proper for JAMB to have taken this step, realising that it had taken over the job of the universities’ senates,’’ he said.

Adebule, however, added that the withdrawal of the list did not interfere with UNILAG’s proposed plan to screen its candidates. He added that candidates would be screened based on the authenticity of their results and their course combinations.

Credit: Punch

Edo 2016: INEC Releases List Of Parties, Candidates

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday in Benin, released a list of 19 political parties that would participate in the Sept. 10 governorship election in Edo.

The list signed by INEC’s Head of Legal Services, Mr Mathew Ugwuocha, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) also contained the names of candidates being fielded by the parties.

The list contains 19 male governorship candidates, 15 male running mates and four female running mates.

The governorship candidates with female running mates are Mr Thompson Osadolor, KOWA; Adviser Nowamagbe, UPP; Ishaka Ofemile, AA and Ukonga Frank, NNPP.

The running mates are Nancy Ewemade, AA; Florence Okundaye, KOWA; Okosun Davis, UPP and Emodogo Eweha, NNPP.

Others governorship candidates include Osagie Ize-Iyamu, PDP, with John Yakubu as running mate and Godwin Obaseki, APC, with Philip Shaibu, member of House of Representatives, as running mate.

Credit: Nation

Anambra PDP Reps Candidates Protest At INEC

Aggrieved House of Representatives candidates of a faction of the Peoples Democratic Party have stormed the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Abuja to protest the continued delay to act on the Supreme Court judgment in respect of the rightful winners of the National Assembly seats in Anambra state in the 2015 general elections.

The protesters arrived INEC as early as 8am and took up positions at the entrance to the commission, chanting solidarity songs. Most of them displayed placards demanding that INEC issues their representatives certificates of return to resume at the National Assembly.

Speaking on behalf of other aggrieved candidates, Hon. Tony Office expressed dismay at the action of INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, in declining to grant them audience despite several letters seeking to meet with him. While alleging INEC bias, Office accused the former Acting Chairman of INEC, Amina Zakari, of being responsible for their plight.

He said the woman who is now a national commissioner led the affairs of INEC during the time when their names were struck out from the election list.

The protesters were prevented from gaining access to INEC premises and after about an hour, the leader of INEC security team asked their representative to come in and deliver their letter.

Credit: Thisday

Bayelsa Election: Candidates Embark On Final Campaigns

Less than a week to the Bayelsa governorship election, key contestants have embarked on final campaigns.

The All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in Bayelsa State, Mr Timipre Sylva, has taken his campaign to Otuokpoti and Ayaiama communities.

Over the weekend, the people pledged their support for his candidacy and demanded more development projects in their communities if he wins the December 5 governorship election.

Mr Sylva reminded the two communities of his records of development and assured them that more would come if he is voted into office.

Some beneficiaries of his first term in office seized the opportunity to thank him for touching their lives and prayed that he would return to touch their lives more.

Credit: ChannelsTV

News Alert! WAEC To Withhold Students’ Results In 19 States Over N4b Debt

The West Africa Examinations Council, WAEC has threatened to withhold the results of students in 19 states that sat for the May/June 2015 WASSCE over nonpayment of candidates’ registration fees by their state governments.

Speaking at its national office Yaba, some hours ago, the Head of National Office, HNO, Mr Charles Eguridu said: “The affected states should off-set the registration fees of their candidates as soon as possible, as we cannot guarantee that the results of their candidates for the May/June 2015 WASSCE will be released alongside others.”

He said that a total number of 19 states in the country owe the Council in respect of entry fees for states government sponsored candidates for the May/June 2015 WASSCE noting that some States also still owe the Councils registration fees for the May/June 2014 WASSCE. According to him, the 19 states which are indebted to the tune of N4 billion were not making efforts to pay adding that efforts made by the Councils to get the money from them proved abortive, hence WAEC has resolved to make it public.

Eguridu who declined to mentioned names of the indebted states said, he is given them benefit of the debt, stressing that many of the governors have just assumed office. He however urged the indebted states to pay up within the next two weeks. His words: “Many of the states of the federation, as part of their education policy, pay the registration fees of candidates for the WASSCE, particularly in the public schools.

“This is quite commendable as it afforded many indigent students the opportunity to sit our examinations and relieved many poor parents of this financial burden. “As I speak to you now, we are cash-strapped as a result of the delay in off-setting the registration fees owed the Council by some states. As a result, we are finding it difficult in meeting our financial obligations, particularly to our supervisors, examiners and service providers.

“We have written to the affected states governments without any response. The poor response is threatening the smooth operations of the Council.”

Source- Vanguardngr.com

Lagos Promises Continuous Payment Of WASSCE Fee For Students

The Lagos State Government has vowed continuous payment of fee for all SS3 students sitting for the West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE) in public schools in the state.

The Commissioner for Education, Olayinka Oladunjoye, on Monday at a press briefing in Lagos, stated that the government had already paid over N535 million to the West African Examination Council (WAEC) as examination and administrative fees for 42,995 SS3 students, who were currently sitting for the May/June 2015 examination in the state.

She said government was determined to ensure academic excellence through relevant and high quality learning at all levels by organising daily ‘after school coaching programme’ for JS3 and SS3 students as well as ‘Saturday coaching’ in core subjects of English and Mathematics for SS3 students.

Read More: dailypost