FG Worried About Allegations Of Sexual Harassment In Institutions- Minister

Alhaji Abubakar Malami, the Attorney -General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, says the Federal Government is worried and deeply concerned about allegations of sexual harassment of students in institutions of learning.

Malami made the statement at the 5th National Conference of Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) in Umaru Waziri Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi, on Tuesday.

“Government is worried and deeply concerned about allegations of sexual harassment of students, the monetisation of marks and degrees and absence of due process in the award of contracts by Polytechnic Governing Councils, provosts and other administrators ,among other allegations,”  he said.

Malami, who was represented by Dr Muhammad Isah of the Faculty of Law, Bayero University, Kano, urged ASUP to take a leading role in addressing the issues through positive actions and advocacy.

“Addressing these issues will in no doubt retain the relevance of ASUP within the educational sector,” he said.

Read More:

FG worried about allegations of sexual harassment in institutions — Minister

Brad Pitt Has Reportedly Been Cleared of Child Abuse Allegations

An investigation into whether Brad Pitt was abusive toward his son on a private flight in September says the case has been closed with no finding of abuse by the actor, a source familiar with the inquiry said Wednesday.

The source, who was not authorized to speak publicly, told The Associated Press that the investigation was closed within the past few days.

Multiples sources have said the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services had been looking into allegations Pitt was abusive toward his 15-year-old son on the flight in mid-September. Pitt’s wife, Angelina Jolie Pitt, filed for divorce days after the incident, and her attorney said it was “for the health of the family.”

A department spokesman said the agency could not confirm it investigated Pitt.

Custody of the actors’ six children has been the primary issue in their divorce. Jolie Pitt is seeking sole custody of the children, while Pitt is seeking joint custody.

Pitt has had visitation with his children under terms agreed upon by the former couple. Jolie Pitt’s representatives said Monday that an agreement on custody had been reached, although a final agreement will be part of the couple’s divorce judgment when it is entered.

California law favors joint custody, although details about custody arrangements are rarely made public in celebrity divorce cases.

A representative for Jolie said the actress is relieved that the inquiry is over and that the custody arrangements in place will allow the children to heal.

A representative for Pitt declined comment.

Pitt and Jolie were married for two years and together for 12 years after becoming close while filming 2005’s “Mr. & Mrs. Smith.”

Credit: Cosmopolitan

House To Investigate Budget Padding Allegations

The House of Representatives on Wednesday resolved to conduct an investigation into the allegations of tampering with the 2016 budget by some of its members.

This followed a point of order brought under Matters of Privilege by the Chairman, House Committee on Rules and Business, Rep. Emmanuel Oker-Jev.

It would be recalled that former Chairman, House Committee on Appropriation, Rep. Abdulmumin Jibrin, accused the Speaker of the house, Mr Yakubu Dogara and some principal officers of padding the 2016 budget.

Jibrin (APC-Kano) also demanded that Dogara should resign to allow investigations to be conducted into the matter.

Moving the point of order, Oker-Jev called for the suspension of Jibrin, describing his allegations as “sundry act of misconduct’’ against the members and institution of the House of Representatives.

According to him, Jibrin embarked on campaign of calumny and denigration by making publications in the media and internet against the entire membership of the House of Representatives and the National Assembly as an institution.

He said, “Jibrin’s comments were contemptuous of the House of Representatives and a breach of collective privileges of the members of the house.”

Read More:

http://punchng.com/house-investigate-budget-padding-allegations/

Okonjo-Iweala Dismisses Allegations On Abacha Loot

Nigeria’s former Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has dismissed allegations that she illegally authorized the diversion of recently recovered Abacha loot during the administration of former president, Goodluck Jonathan.

Dr Okonjo-Iweala described the allegation as “part of a campaign of falsehood” to “tarnish her image” in a statement on Wednesday by her media adviser, Paul Nwabuikwu.

The former minister noted that the contents of a memo dated January 20, 2015 in which she responded to a request by the former National Security Adviser, Col Ibrahim Dasuki (retired) for funds to prosecute the war against Boko Haram, was “distorted”.

To set the records straight, the statement maintained that “the central responsibility of the Minister of Finance is to find sources of funding for the financing of approved national priorities such as security, job creation and infrastructure”.

The statement also “recalled that throughout 2014, there were public complaints by the military hierarchy to President Goodluck Jonathan about the inadequacy of funds to fight the anti-terror war in the North East, resulting in Boko Haram making gains and even taking territories. A lot of the criticism was directed at the Federal Ministry of Finance under Dr Okonjo-Iweala which was accused of not doing enough to find funds for the operations.

Credit: ChannelsTV

Presidency Dismisses Metuh’s Lopsided Anti- Graft War Allegations

The Presidency has reacted swiftly to the allegation made by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

On the allegation of witch-hunting its members, the President’s Adviser on Media, Mr Femi Adesina, said that ordinarily he would not want to comment on such because they were comments coming from a political party and response are better from the APC leadership.

He, however, said that concerning the President, it was untrue for Mr Olisa Metuh to claim that the President’s anti-corruption war was one-sided.

According to him, “Mr Olisa Metuh is sounding like a broken record. It’s the same thing that he says all the time. But let me assure Nigerians that the President has always maintained that even when it affects APC members, the person concerned must go and defend himself.”

The National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Mr Olisa Metuh, had said at a news conference in Abuja, that unfolding events have confirmed the party’s position that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is only using the anti-corruption posture as a tool to witch-hunt PDP members and perceived political opponents of the APC government.

He stated that no member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), despite the public petitions of corruption and squandering of state funds, has been invited, questioned or arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

But Mr Adesina wondered why the issue was not whether the people facing the EFCC actually committed the crime but Mr Metuh is saying that it is one-sided.

“I think what is of interest to Nigerians is ‘did this people commit the crime?’ not whether it is one-sided,” he said.

Credit: channelstv

Amaechi Scoffs At Allegations Of Corruption

The immediate past governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi, denied corruption charges his successor has leveled against him and his family.

He raised alarm on alleged attempts to intimidate, threaten and blackmail officials including civil servants into making false, phony and bogus claims of corruption and corrupt practices against him and his wife.

His spokesperson also denied the claims of vandalism and looting of Government House.

Amaechi described the claims as another smear campaign and ploy to siphon billions of Naira from the State Treasury under the guise of renovating a “vandalized” and “looted” Government House.

“Wike has gone to ridiculous and absurd lengths to show his imaginary claims of vandalisation and looting in Government House in his bid to vote billions of Naira for renovation of the place,” said Amaechi.

He said the development was a conspiracy to siphon state funds in the guise of renovating a vandalized and looted Government House and falsely smear Amaechi’s image.

“These false, bogus and illusive claims can never be substantiated but Wike doesn’t care. All he wants is to taint my good name with screaming headlines of corruption and corrupt practices in the media. But, he will certainly fail,” Ameachi added.

He urged the media to beware of this alleged plot, scrutinize thoroughly and disregard any of Wike’s wild and false claims of corrupt practices against him and his wife.

Amaechi’s All Progressives Congress and the People’s Democratic Party of Wike have been at loggerheads before and after elections that saw the latter win the governorship election. APC is challenging the outcome citing alleged irregularities.

Credit: CAJ News