Famine may have killed 2,000 people cut off from aid by Boko Haram – Analysts

Over 2,000 people may have died of famine this year in parts of northeast Nigeria which cannot be reached by aid agencies due to an insurgency by Islamic militant group Boko Haram, hunger experts said on Tuesday.

A report by the U.S.-based Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) said the deaths occurred in the town of Bama in Nigeria’s Borno State, the jihadists’ former stronghold.

According to FEWS NET, while food aid is staving off famine for people uprooted by conflict who can be reached, the outlook is bleak for those in parts of the northeast cut off from help.

“The risk of famine in inaccessible areas of Borno State will remain high over the coming year.

“In a worst-case scenario where conflict cuts off areas that are currently accessible and dependent on assistance, the likelihood of famine in these areas would be high,’’ the report said.

About 4.7 million people are in need of emergency food aid in Borno, Adamawa, and Yobe states, nearly two-thirds of them in Borno alone.

The UN children’s agency (UNICEF) said in September that some 400,000 children were at risk from famine in the three states, 75,000 of whom could die from hunger within months.

“Yet the current humanitarian response is insufficient amid extreme levels of food insecurity, and only one million people have received food aid this year,’’ FEWS NET said.

It noted that almost four in five of the 1.4 million displaced Nigerians in Borno State were living in local communities, where tension was rising in many families as food runs short.

It added that improving security had enabled aid agencies this year to reach some areas that were previously cut off, but many remained unreachable due to the ongoing violence and lack of security.

Boko Haram militants have killed about 20,000 people and displaced 2.4 million across Cameroon, Chad, Niger, and Nigeria during a seven-year campaign to create an Islamist caliphate.

Nigeria’s army has pushed the Islamist group back to its base in Sambisa forest in the past few months, but the militants still often stage raids and suicide bombings.

Malaria outbreak: Sokoto treats 2000 in eight days.

No fewer than 2,000 patients have been treated at the malaria camp set up by the Sokoto State Government at the Murtala Specialist Hospital, Sokoto in the last eight days.

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Balarabe Kakale, on Tuesday said that there was an outbreak of malaria in some parts of Sokoto North Local Government, especially the Gandu area and its environs.

He said that the state government provided 10 ambulances to convey patients with the ailment from their homes to the camp.

He said, “The camp was fully equipped, staffed and provided with free drugs, as well as medicament. The camp has 10 medical doctors, 25 nurses, 10 laboratory scientists and 15 medical records officers, among others.”

Kakale also stated that the camp has adequate stocks of antimalarial drugs, intravenous fluids, antibiotics and other medicament to cater for the patients.

He said, “It is heart-warming that zero mortality was recorded out of the over 2000 cases at the camp.

“Over 60 per cent of these cases had severe cases of malaria, with majority of them as out-patients, while only 17 are now responding to treatment at the camp. The rest were fully treated and discharged as the situation had been brought under total control.”

The Commissioner disclosed that the fatality from the outbreak still remain five contrary to some media reports.

“The problem was then caused by the contamination of the environment, like water, food and air pollution. The heaps of refuse that hitherto dotted the affected areas been evacuated.

“All the drains were also de-silted and fumigated against mosquitoes. We have also sustained intensive campaigns on the need for the residents to ensure personal and environmental hygiene.”

The Wife of the President, Mrs A’isha Buhari, had on Monday flagged off a special medical outreach in Sokoto State, as part of her response to the malaria crisis in the state.

Represented by the Wife of the Speaker, House of Representatives, Mrs Gimbiya Dogara, she said that the gesture was under her Future-Assured Programme.

The outreach programme was being conducted in collaboration with ‘The Maryam Mairo Aminu Waziri Tambuwal Legacy Initiative’, the pet project of the Wife of Governor Aminu Tambuwal, Mrs Maryam Tambuwal.

Borno To Discharge Over 2000 Treated Malnourished Children

Over two thousand children treated for severe acute malnutrition are set to be discharged from the Borno State Nursery village where they were admitted, the State Chairman of Emergency Management Agency, Engr. Satomi Ahmed has said.

The Borno SEMA boss who spoke exclusively to our correspondent in Maiduguri disclosed that most of the children that were admitted in the centre with severe malnutrition problems have been stabilized and their parents are earner to return home which is why the authorities are considering to discharge them soonest.

“There are about 2,011 children that were admitted at the Borno State Nursery Village which was established to take care of cases of malnutrition crisis that broke up in the State. Today, there is a drastic recovery in the conditions of the children. Most of them have been stabilized and are fully recovered and we don’t intend to keep them any longer at the facility because their parents are Esther to go back to Bama, their community. We will discharge them very soon,” Engr. Satomi disclosed.

Read More:

Borno to discharge over 2000 treated malnourished children

#NigeriaImmigration2000: “Reinstate Us”, Expelled Recruits Cry Out For Help.

Months after application, selection, and training of new immigration recruits, 2000 of them are still in a confused state in regards to their position in an ongoing recruitment crisis.

 

Documents obtained by Omojuwa.com correspondent revealed that 2000 of these new recruits are being dispersed by the Ministry of Interior on the basis of illegality. It is quite worrisome that the same ministry that facilitated the training of the new recruits in a swift and surprising move turned around to rule them illegal.

 

While majority of the affected recruits have taken to social media to show their grievances, the ministry reiterates its position by not making any move to address the situation.

 

Despite calling the new recruits illegal, exclusive documents obtained by Omojuwa.com clearly shows that they all underwent a proper screening/training exercise carried out by the immigration service under the ministry of interior. This present situation poses a huge question which no one is answering; “Where does the illegality come in?”

 

A dangerous trend is being set and of course will have it’s own negative effects.

 

Months back, there was a secret recruitment scandal that rocked the Central Bank of Nigeria, Federal Inland Revenue Services and Nigerian National Petroleum Company. These antecedents is fueling a suspicion that this latest development is as a result of a new recruitment racketeering plan as the ministry is yet to give a tenable reason for the laying off.

 

The hashtag #NigeriaImmigration2000 is already trending on Social Media Platforms demanding not only explanations to the ill-advised decision of the ministry of interior but also a reinstatement of the sent off recruits.

 

If truly the immigration service needs 25, 000 recruits to effective man our borders, this fact begs the question; “why then are we laying off 2000 recruits especially when they have gone through examinations and training?

 

The demand is clear cut and simple; FG should reverse the decision to disperse these 2000 trained immigration recruits. In a country that has a high population of unemployed youths, such decisions will have not just destructive but catastrophic effects on the nation.

Nigeria In Relation With Chinese Firm To Train 2,000 Young Nigerians On ICT

The federal government on Thursday signed a Memorandum of Understanding with leading Chinese technology firm, Huawei, to train 2000 young Nigerians on Information and Communication Technology, ICT.

The MOU provides 2,000 Information and Communication Technology, ICT trainee jobs to young Nigerians next year under the “Huawei’s Seeds for the Future programme.”

“ICT is one of the quickest ways people can get decent jobs, so we think this is absolutely important.

“In the change agenda, how to grow the economy is important, and we want to create ICT hubs and support existing ones. We thank Huawei for this initiative of advancing technology in Nigeria, apart from the job creation itself,” said Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.

Observing the current poor rating of Nigeria in the global rankings of business environments, the Mr. Osinbajo said that the president had already given the task of addressing the challenges of doing business in the country to the minister of Trade, Industry & Investment Minister.

The Vice President said the relationship between Nigeria and China was a strategic one, urging Chinese investors and business leaders to consider Nigeria for manufacturing plants.

He said the Chinese investors “should encourage not just the selling, but also the manufacturing of products in Nigeria.”

Credit: PremiumTimes