President Muhammadu Buhari has just appointed Dr Sanusi Ohiare as Executive Director, Rural Electrification Management Fund & Board Member, REA.
Sanusi Ohiare was born on 6thof March, 1985 (32), in Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, but originally hails from Adavi Local Government Area of Kogi State, Nigeria.
- He had his primary education at Academy Staff School Suleja, Niger State, before proceeding to the Federal Government College, Kwali – Abuja, for his secondary education.
- Sanusi obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the University of Jos, Plateau State, where he graduated with a second class honours, upper division (2.1) in 2006.
- He later attended the renowned Centre for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP), University of Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom, where he obtained a Master of Science degree in Energy Studies, with Specialization in Energy Finance in 2011;
- He also obtained a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Rural Energy Developmentfrom the prestigious Institute for Energy and Sustainable Development (IESD), De Montfort University, Leicester, UK in 2014, and is currently the only Nigerian with that specialization.
- His doctorate thesis was on: “Financing Rural Energy Projects in Developing Countries: Country Case Nigeria”(see https://www.dora.dmu.ac.uk/handle/2086/10462 )
- Before his appointment, he worked with the German International Cooperation Agency (GIZ), as a National Advisor on Rural Electrification, under the Nigerian Energy Support Programme (NESP), co-funded by the European Union and German Government.In this capacity, he provided technical support to the Rural Electrification Agency and Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission; was in charge of data management system and planning for rural electrification; supported the development Mini-grids Pilot Projects and coordinated the Northern states of the programme.
- Sanusi has over 10 years’ experience within the Rural Electrification Space. He previously worked with the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Plc. (NBET); Sustainability, Policy and Innovative Development Research (Spider) Solutions; Federal Capital Territory Administration-Abuja and other private companies, in various capacities.
- He has published several peer-reviewed articles and a textbook chapter on rural electrification, with bias to planning, technology options and financing in Nigeria, and he was part of the presidential committee that reviewed the rural electrification strategy document for Nigeria in 2013; and also part of the team that developed the draft Mini-grid regulations 2016.
- He is a member of the International Association of Energy Economics (IAEE), Nigerian Association of Energy Economics (NAEE), Lagos Oil Club, Society for Petroleum Engineers (SPE), and Energy Institute UK.
- With this appointment, he has the mandate operationalize the hitherto comatose Rural Electrification Fund. He is expected to use his network and experience to pool monies (public, donor and private funds) to the funds, and set a transparent criteria for drawing from the funds by Mini-grids developers, for the purpose of accelerating access to electricity to the unserved and underserved communities all over Nigeria.
- He is the youngest appointed person at the federal level in President Buhari’s administration.