While residents across the Lagos Mainland prepare to resume for work in the New Year, their counterparts at a building turned private office located at Awolowo Way, off Allen Avenue will be forced to extend their holiday due to an inferno that razed the building. The fire incident which left many residents in shock occurred on Monday, January 2, 2016.
According to a source, Ms. Oluwatosin, whose workplace is located few meters away from the scene, the fire incident occurred at night and at a time when occupants of the building were on holiday. In her words, “my office is a stone throw from the incident scene. I rushed to the office to pick something I needed for a meeting when I saw thick smoke in the air. The fire outbreak occurred at a time when the building was empty due to the New Year holiday.”
On the efforts to salvage the situation and put out the fire, she revealed that “residents and other passerby made efforts to put out the fire but couldn’t do that. I was informed they had to place emergency calls to the fire service agency for help,” she added.
Furthermore, the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority (LASEMA) has released photos of the unfortunate incident. According to the agency, its Emergency Response Team (ERT) mobilized to the scene following a distress call informing the agency of the inferno.
See some of the photos as released by LASEMA below.