The Nigerian Army yesterday warned members of the public to be extra vigilant as Boko Haram members are now fleeing from their enclave in the Sambisa forest to disperse into other parts of the country.
A statement yesterday by army spokesman Colonel Sani Usman said due to aerial bombardment and concerted efforts of ground troops, Boko Haram members had been deserting the forest in droves.
“Consequently it becomes necessary to inform the public, especially well meaning Nigerians, to be more vigilant and security conscious,” he said.
Usman said 22 Boko Haram members were killed and three commanders were arrested by Nigerian and Cameroonian troops in a joint clearance operation along the Nigeria-Cameroon border on Monday.
He said troops of the 152 and 155 Task Force Battalions at Operation Lafiya Dole in conjunction with troops of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) from Cameroon conducted a joint clearance operation which swept through 10 suspected Boko Haram hideouts along the border where they killed 22 terrorists, arrested three ameers and rescued abducted persons.
Usman said during the operation, the troops cleared Nbaga, Bula, Dabube, Ybiri, Greya and Suduwa towns and other adjoining settlements.
He said: “The apprehended terrorists’ commanders include; Lawal Abba, Mallam Hisna and Mallam Gana in Shatte, Bulla Jaja and Bula Burra towns.”
Usman said the troops also rescued 1,275 persons held hostage by the terrorists, adding that they were being screened by the 152 Taskforce Battalion pending onward movement to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Air Force yesterday said its fighter jets struck a Boko Haram logistics base at Kangarawa, Borno State.
A statement from Air Force spokesman Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa said the strike had taken off another logistics base of Boko Haram, thereby decimating their capabilities.
Famuyiwa said the scale of the accompanying inferno and multi explosions suggested that the location possibly housed a fuel or ammunition dump.