BringBackOurGirls campaigners and the parents of the over 200 girls that were abducted in Chibok, Borno State in April 2014 on Thursday insisted that President Muhammadu Buhari must grant them audience.
Buhari had earlier sent a government delegation led by the Minister of Women Affairs, Aisha Al-Hassan, to receive the protesters on his behalf at the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
But the highly infuriated leader of the group, Mrs. Oby Ezekwesili, told the government delegation that consisted the Minister of Defence, National Security Adviser and the Chief of Defence Staff that they would not speak to any other person apart from the President.
Buhari was receiving the visiting President of Benin Republic, Boni Yayi, in his office while the drama was playing out.
Immediately Yayi left, the President changed his mind and decided to meet the protesters personally.
The message was thereafter passed to the protesters.
At the time of filing this report at 1.30pm, security and protocol officials had been quickly drafted to the venue to prepare for the President’s arrival.
Meanwhile, before the President resolved to meet the protesters, Ezekwesili had had a confrontation with the Minister of Women Affairs whom she accused of not being fear to the parents of the abducted girls with the way she spoke to them.
She said the minister was busy chiding the already traumatized parents in her choice of words.
This, she observed, was unlike the Minister of Defence, NSA and the CDS who she said their tones connected with the parents.