Raymond Dokpesi, founder of Daar Communication, owners of Ray Power radio network and Africa Independent Television, has said the money he received from the office of the National Security Adviser during the administration of Goodluck Jonathan was payment for media and political campaign for the 2015 general election.
Mr. Dokpesi was questioned by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission on Tuesday over the N2.1 billion he allegedly received from the office of the NSA.
The Nigerian government has made high profile arrests in connection with alleged diversion of billions of naira meant for procurement of arms for the fight against Boko Haram.
A former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is among those arrested.
Mr. Dokpesi’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, had earlier said that his client had written to the EFCC informing the anti-graft body it never did business with the NSA’s office.
“What I know is that the EFCC wrote to Daar Holdings asking for a list of directors and whether it has done any business or contract with the office of the NSA in the past and how much was involved,” the lawyer said in a telephone interview.