NEWS

N200bn debt: Kano contractors call for Rabi’u Kwankwaso’s probe

Local contractors in Kano have urged anti-corruption agencies to probe former Governor of Kano state, Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso over alleged N200bn debts.

Chairman, Kano state branch of the Nigeria Chamber of Indigenous Contractors, Alhaji Auduwa Maitangaran, said the former governor crippled indigenous contractors before running to the senate.

“We have lost over 40 members who died as a result of illnesses they developed following the delay in releasing their funds by the former governor,” he said.
“Over 50 others were sent to prison because of huge debt and more than 100 members are currently on admission in various hospitals courtesy of nonpayment of their monies.”

He said Kwankwaso only paid 30 per cent of the entire projects he executed in four years, leaving behind 70 per cent unpaid, adding that 50 per cent of indigenous contractors had not been paid their monies.

“Alhaji Idi Bilya our member died of heart attack due to nonpayment of his money and another member Alhaji Ibrahim Carpenter who has over N50m with Kano state government cannot produce N5,000 now. This is wickedness,” he said.

He thanked the incumbent governor, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje for his commitment towards rescuing indigenous contractors by giving them the sum of N200m to settle some contractors.
Similarly, Commissioner of Information, Alhaji Muhammad Garba has accused Kwankwaso of spending the N4.1bn pensioners’ fund in building expensive houses.

Daily Trust quoted him as saying: “Kwankwaso borrowed the sum of N4.1bn pensioners’ funds to build Bandirawo and Amana Housing estates with the aim that pensioners could benefit from the houses.

“But when he realized that the houses are too expensive for them to occupy, he slashed their prices by 50 per cent and even at that the pensioners could not afford to buy the houses.”
He said in its efforts to resolve the problem, the present government had met with the pensioners and agreed that certain number of housing units in the two estates should be allocated to them as part of their entitlements.

 

 

Source : Daily Post

About the author

Omojuwa

In the beginning...Let there be Light http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japheth_J._Omojuwa

Leave a Comment