The Nigerian military has invades the Boko Haram insurgents’ base in Sambisa Forest, reports from the Hausa service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) say.
The director of defence information, Maj-Gen Chris Olukolade, told the agency that the military had been raiding the forest and other hideouts of the sect since Tuesday night.
According to the BBC, the army used war drones to level some of the Boko Haram camps in the northeast but it was not clear about the casualties on both sides. The army said that they are still committed to securing the civilian population at whatever cost. “We are still committed in ensuring that we degrade their ability to continue their activities and eventually eliminate them,” Olukolade said.
“The mission is on. There are no allowing terrorists anywhere. As many times as they come, it will only give us the opportunity to decimate them.” Sources close to the area have confirmed that aerial bombardment had commenced yesterday.