DOES THIS ENHANCE OTHER OPPORTUNITIES OR IS THIS A MISPLACED PRIORITY?
The Opon Imo project is one component within an integrated, robust and exciting education reform programme currently going on, in the State of Osun, Nigeria.
Convinced that the people are her best asset, Osun under Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola’s administration is committing unprecedented resources to radically improve of the education sector and provide our country an inspiring reform model. Opon Imo is an innovative fraction of this effort.
The reform programme entails the following:
OSCHOOL project, where around 100 model schools are being built.
OMEAL project, free daily lunch meal for 254,000 elementary year 1 – 4 kids.
OUNIFORM project, standardization of school uniform for 750,000 students.
A centre of excellence pedagogical institute for teacher capacity development. Building of 9 Vocational Education Centre for Skills development.
The Opon Imo Project.
As can be noted Opon Imo is not a standalone, out of context initiative. It is a complementary, and modernist attempt to use the latest global technology , to give OSUN students a competitive advantage in the learning process. This is in line with the current practice of the most progressive states and countries in the world.
For pointers in this direction , please see:
Tablets for Education in UK Classrooms http://bit.ly/166bJD7
Tablet for Education in Thailand http://zd.net/10jEG6p
Tablets for Education in Turkey http://bit.ly/192bhEo
Education Tablets by Google http://zd.net/180chdc
Education Tablets by Apple http://bit.ly/11WbI3c
WHAT IS THE VISION BEHIND THIS PROJECT?
* To democratize access to learning.
* To complement current education reform.
* To help senior secondary school student better prepare for School Leaving ?Examinations.
* To use technology as a silver bullet to the learning problem in Osun.
WHY TABLET PC AND NOT A TRADITIONAL PC?
* Allows for mobility of student and tool.
* It is the most cost effective option given all variables
* Access to alternative powering – as it can now be powered in school and home
* It is a novel idea. It makes it even more aspirational for the user and community
* It gives the idea of a personal touch and thus aids personal studying opportunities any time of day
HOW DOES IT CONCISELY TACKLE PROBLEM WITH EDUCATION IN THE STATE?
* Unprecedented access to learning content.
* Huge cost saving in Text books procurement for the State.
* Access to updated information and trends by both the teachers and students.
HAS THE COUNTRY’S ELECTRICITY CHALLENGES BEEN TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION?
The Mobile nature of the Opon Imo device allows for flexibility in powering. It can be charged either in school or at home or both. In addition, communal Solar Chargers will be provided in schools to allow the students access to power.
The Electricity status of the country was a big consideration in the creation of this custom made tablets. The availability of recharge options and ease of recharge were carefully and strongly considered when approving this project.
WILL STUDENTS BE ABLE TO USE THIS TOOL?
The project was conceived for the Students; the technology was built to enable the Students; the success indicators are the Students! To further ensure there are no surprises with the results; a cultural and educational engagement program is being put in place to assess the acceptance of the Students and Teachers of the Tool; the acceptance and ease of use by the student, the relief and hope this brings to the parents and more so the motivation it gives to the teachers is an encouraging indicator that this Tablet of Knowledge is here to stay.
HOW WILL THIS INITIATIVE BENEFIT THE STATE?
* COST SAVINGS – There is already a Cost savings of around N8.4b by using the digital alternative versus paper textbooks. This is also a great aid for the parents of students who are in the Public Schools as they can refocus a large chunk of their income
* TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AND ADAPTATION – This initiative will enable knowledge transfer via the use of cutting edge technology. Technology will easily be used and consumed by the arms and people of the state and this will bring a lot of progress to the individual and State.
* INDUSTRIALISATION – Of the 150,000 tablets to be distributed to students, 100,000 of these will be produced in a factory to be built in the State, in conjunction with Opon Imo foreign technical partners. With this development, it is believed that, many industries and businesses will easily find the State of Osun adaptive for their projects and business. This blows wide open the opportunities that can be explored in the State given the growth and adaptation of Science and Technology at all levels.
* IMPROVED EDUCATIONAL ACCESS FOR STUDENTS – For the Student of Public Schools, the sky becomes their limit. They now have access to their lesson notes, past question papers and much more resources necessary for their mental growth and also virtual exam environment that gets them ready and ensures they excel.
* IMPROVED EDUCATIONAL RESULTS AND PROSPECTS – Given the allowance of the use of modern state-of-the-art curriculum and education materials via the use of relevant apps, the success prospect of every child has climaxed in many ways.
HOW MUCH WILL THIS COST THE STUDENTS?
OPON IMO is Free for all Senior Secondary Students in Public School
HOW WILL PRIVATE STUDENTS BENEFIT FROM THIS?
This will be available for the students of Private Schools at a purchase fee.
WHAT IS THE STAKEHOLDER INVOLVEMENT IN THIS?
Everyone in the State of Osun is a Stakeholder. It is a project we are all committed to and are jointly motivated to see it succeed. The list is extensive and we have categorized under the following headers:
– Community leaders.
WILL TRAINING BE AVAILABLE FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS?
Yes; a cultural and educational engagement program is being put in place to assess the acceptance of the Students and Teachers of the Tool; the acceptance and ease of use by the student, the relief and hope this brings to the parents and more so the motivation it gives to the teachers is an encouraging indicator that this Tablet of Knowledge is here to stay.
WHAT ARE THE CONTENT FEATURES?
* 56 Text books covering 17 subjects
* 17 tutorial questions for the 17 subjects
* 1000 past questions
* 6 extra curricular subjects
* Educational Games
IS THERE AN IMPLEMENTATION PLAN?
Yes, there is a practical project schedule! Opon Imo is being project managed by a competent team from a foremost consulting Nigerian Company – Phillips Consulting.
HOW WILL THE DEVICE BE POWERED?
It can be charged. The tablet can be powered at home or in school. There is a communal solar charger option for charging the tablets in public schools.
CAN THIS DEVICE WITHSTAND THE NIGERIAN ENVIRONMENT?
Opon Imo was designed and built taking into account the evolving elements of our environment. It is noteworthy that the tablet ships with a water and fire proof pouch.
The Charging adaptor also comes with a fuse to protect the device from typical surges.
DOES THE DEVICE HAVE INTERNET?
The current version of Opon Imo has Internet deactivated to prevent the distraction this may cause to students at this level of education.
In addition, the Internet does not drive Opon Imo content, because of the unstable nature of current data networks in our country and the huge data requirements the device would have had.
As such, content is domiciled strictly on the Tablet.?This approach Is a Nigerian adaptation, that is believed to be suitable for developing Nations where internet connectivity can still be a challenge.
IS THERE A SUPPORT PLAN FOR THE SYSTEM?
The Support System is quite extensive:
First Level Support at School Level: Teacher (Opon Imo Ambassador).
Second Level Support: 9 Support Centers; one at each Federal Constituency.
Third Level Support: Factory Support in Osogbo.
HOW OFTEN WILL THE CURRICULUM BE UPDATED?
There will be an update mechanism at the support center level. The frequency of curriculum update will be defined by and subject to the policy of the state on refreshing study content.
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TABLET WHEN A STUDENT PASSES OUT?
Opon Imo usage is to be recycled among students that graduate into the Senior Secondary Schools. As such, upon graduation from Senior Secondary School, students are to collect their school-leaving certificate in exchange for their Opon Imo.
ARE THERE ANY KNOWN HEALTH HAZARDS TO OPON IMO?
Opon Imo is a safe learning tool. There are no known hazards.