KEEP CALM: President Jonathan says Nigerian remains safe, despite bombings
President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday insisted that Nigeria remained safe in spite of bombings, urging Nigerians not to entertain any fear in their daily activities.
There had been an upsurge in the activities of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram. The latest being the attacks on a church in the Army Cantonement in Jaji and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad office in Abuja.
The developments had raised doubts in some quarters on the capability of the present administration to tackle insecurity
But Jonathan, in a statement on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe, stressed that it was in the character of insurgency worldwide to “audaciously attack institutions that will promote maximum fears in the heart of the citizenry.”
The President recalled that when the IRA bombed the hotel in which the British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, and core members of her cabinet were holding a meeting.
He said, “It is not surprising, therefore that as a consequence of the recent activities of the insurgents, some dailies reported that ‘nowhere is safe in Nigeria’. In truth and in reality, this statement is not correct.
“President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan wishes to assure Nigerians that in spite of this situation, the country is still largely safe and secure.
“President Jonathan wishes to state categorically of his unwavering commitment and determination to fight insecurity wherever they are found in Nigeria.”
Powered by Facebook Comments