Published:3 Mar, 2012

To start with, I know that this is one of hundreds of music videos with similar themes. However,I’m choosing to write about it as it is quite recent and my issue with it is very relevant to the present day attitudes of a lot of us young people.

Can someone please tell me what the first 30 seconds of the video was all about???!

Poor waiter who unfortunately had to wait on a group of arrogant and self-obsessed boys made the ‘mistake’ of asking if they were going to pay for their drinks. The response he got was the intentional spilling of ‘expensive’ bottles of wine before having huge wads of cash slammed on his tray.

The message?

I am rich and I can do whatever I please no matter how egocentric I look.

My Issue:

I have a problem with the sheer arrogance portrayed in this video. I believe this is one of the roots of the major problems facing this generation. It is partly responsible for the current spate of scams, stylish or outright prostitutions and even armed robberies. A lot of young people involved in horrible things like yahoo, aristo (sleeping with older men for material gains) etc. mainly do it for this ‘Big boy/Big girl’ effect. Yes there are other factors such as parental upbringing, environmental influences etc. that contribute to these but having the despicable behaviourglorified in music videos does not help matters.

Who are we competing with? Why the incessant need to show off? Usually, people who obtain their wealth through hard work are not lousy since they know the value of money. I know this borders on individual personalities but I also know that spending or enjoying your money is no excuse for being downright disrespectful or lousy about it. ‘Fingers are not equal’ – does that make the thumb more important than the middle finger? That you are rich and someone else is from a more humble background makes them lower than you?

Back to the video, the waiter was clearly disrespected. That someone is waiting on you either as your hairdresser, house help or driver does not decrease their value as a human being. The lack of respect shown just because the waiter did not belong in their ‘class’ is deplorable.

I didn’t find the spilling of the drinks funny either. I have seen this done so many times. It does not make anybody look cool or untouchable; they just looked wasteful! If you have too much money, go give to charity or help people in your neighbourhood. I know that there are people that work hard and play hard too and in no way am I against having a party or chilling with friends. But these can be done tastefully without I repeat ‘being lousy’! To me, the dudes in the video did not appear cool. They actually looked like the ‘money miss road’ types.

Recently saw a picture of 50 Cent with wads of cash lining the whole stretch of his two arms. Sad thing is that a lot of young people see people who act like this as role models. Young peopleare being led to believe that being significant in life has to do with external and material things which is a blatant lie! But how do we go about correcting these mind-sets if these messages make up the majority of what young people see on the internet and television?

We should take a deep look at ourselves, outside of our clothes, our shoes and make-up, WHO ARE WE?

P.S: Someone tell the boy that nobody is trying to ‘da duro’.

Oluwapemi Elujoba .

1. bayo olushoto says:

Excellent…the writter couldn’t have explained any better. Its alarming when u go to clubs and see young men do these things,I personally experienced seeing a guy pour his drink on d floor and breaking the bottle after inside the club! This generation have a whole lot to learn

2. @occupynaija says:

I thank this writer and may God continue to strengthen u..this world now celebrates mediocrity!!!

3. remohdified says:

God bless you, I mean this video and the rest like it is the reason why pple like IBB think the youths are not ready to be leaders. Just imagine somebody with that mindset becoming the president of Nigeria… God save watever remains of our treasury.

4. kunle says:

For a piece of music that has magnitude and lacks direction, this article is spot on…totally on point..We live in a money-centric environment where money is worshiped and extolled above values. This situation had led to lots of social vices as people try to do anything to show off…some people work hard and spend hard..but they are hardly wasteful, and even they know when to draw the line..its sad that legends in music are dying and the crop of musicians coming after are charlatans that have no message whatsoever…check the Nigerian music scene for the past 10 years, 5% message, 10% incomprehensible, 85% shite..

5. MemzyJ says:

I commend you for this well written article. This is not only an issue in Nigerian but in Africa as a whole, it might just be a music video but the young people are very impressionable. But the beat is good though :).

6. Temitope Ajagbe says:

Well written….you are a class act

7. @Pocket_Doll says:

So true,lol erm i actually haven’t watched the video but i hear the boy is 19 and that doesn’t surprise me one bit, because that’s how our generation has been conditioned to place money/material things over humility.
    Its quite sad but this is why Africa as a nation will never be WEALTHY because we lack discipline and don’t know how to be frugal.

8. bimpuzee says:

Brilliant! Well written! Ur point:well stated!

9. Sheyi Alabi says:

Wow. Its totful of you to point this out i must say. Not a wasted time readin this. Its common everywhere. Yes top figures get followers confused even more. Its good also that u point straight at the mind-set. Its a mind-set thing. U throwin the money at the sorry waiter will ‘stop u’? Or the waste of the drink ‘da duro’?
    Wish people gain from here and carry a good reasonable mind-set. My oga, keep it up.

10. Tessie says:

Good write-up…the manner of thinking of youths nowadays is appalling,no foresight nor sense of management. It’s up to you and I to take the bull by the horn in enlightening youths on how to exude positive images in whatever field of choice. Good write-up once again!

11. royal dazzle says:

Never actually seen the video from the beginning. Albeit,this is totally on point. Youths are daily sinking into a twisted,fake idea about good life. Its good to know that we have great nd sincere minded people like you with sound outlets to say the truth around. Good job, Pemi.

12. Bifarin Oladayo says:

Brilliant write up if I must say! consciously or unconsciously, We get this life style instilled into us in one way or the other. we pay too much attention on material things. Discontentment, unhappiness and what have you is what we get in return! Basically, we need a new mind! thanks for speaking out loud for the oppressed…

13. Ebitimi says:

Superb!!! Really nice and deep.

14. yemi o. says:

This is a well written article if it is being judged on only the 1 view it argues. I do agree with the viewpoint of the writer, however for the sake of balance, what else do u expect to see in most music videos… Majority of these songs are about guns, riches, and being ‘big’ so they portray this the only way they know how… Furthermore this is a lifestyle that many strive for, so it only seems befitting that it is the idea behind a music video It is also important to note that they have not developed this notion by themselves they are just copying what they’ve seen in western videos. This is the same throughout all sectors in nigeria. Most of these people don’t even have the money they pretend to have in the videos (see vocal slender for example) … At the end of the day if it isn’t riches and arrogance being portrayed, it would be half naked women…

15. Baba says:

O.K,people relax,it’s only a video.We did not have a problem with the video till we found out he was a rich kid.

Someone like 9ice could have done this,and we would not have a problem with it.

Don’t see anything wrong.

The waiter came asking who was going to pay expecting they would not have the resource to pay,all,they did was to show they were more than capable.

16. Folu O. says:

Davido is a young lad 19 yrs I guess… Let him enjoy his life, in time he will mature and adjust… Some people love show off just to make friends and other folks envious or they do it to be the star of show… Attention seeking cheap fame looking bastards… Either way his pop is rich…. He has started well and his early fame would soon make him respected too… E ma da duro oh! E fi le!

17. Justthatgirl says:

Brilliant!!!! I vote for this guy abeg!

18. odinaka @odii28 says:

I am really happy that you raised this issue that most people are scared or dont want to talk about. We have built a culture that only celebrate not only wealth but recklessness. Dignity in labour has being trampled upon at the alter of the end justifies the means. Gone are they days when people think about the effect of their actions on the society. For a girl to take a picture of where she is half naked with a guy and put it online just to boast that she has ‘shagged’ the guy shows that out society has gone to the dogs. And to also know that such a girl has parents who did not see anything bad in that shows that the values our forefathers passed to us has being jettison. #smh

19. @ayowanddy says:

Nice article,says a lot about our generation, but I must also say that its just a video and often times artists write lyrics based on the environment,lifestyle or state of mind. Sometimes lyrics can also be gotten from imagination or fiction, so what do u expect the video to look like. Mind you, I’m not trying to justify the video, my point is this….acting a thief in a movie does not mean u are actually a theif.

20. jummyshow says:

Pemi I swear U read my mind…my sis and I jst talked about d video few days ago and dt was d same fin I said. Its jst sad aw we live in a community wia disrespect is d order of d day….. Thumbs up Yo!!!!! :* :* :*

21. pearl says:

The 1st time I saw the video, I thought it was childish. It lacks understanding of the society we are living in, agreed his father hs some change, but as the saying goes, empty barrel makes d loudest noise, why is dangote’s son nt shouting emi omo baba olowo, being wasteful does not show u r rich, give 2 d less priveledge arnd u, and don’t intimidate. Payme God bless u 4 this article.

22. kachi says:

Very well stated!!!d rate @ which we young folks care 4 material things i??s overwhelming!!????t video i?????s????? actually very crappy!!!???? so on point!!!Nice article…

23. tinuola says:

I have not seen this particular video but from tons of others that I have seen, I can’t but say Pemi has done a good job. With this vivid description of the video, young boys not men degrading people that are even old enough to be their parents, is this what our culture teaches? And the next thing they will say is that they are promoting culture. It is not done that way. The issue of Yahoo yahoo as you rightly mentioned is really demeaning pple who toil day and night to get their earinings and savings. Imagine a boy of 20yrs abusing a man of 60 yrs who has toiled all his life all because he has a better infinity car as compared with the man’s Baby Benz. Songs like this are giving the wrong impressions of how life really is to the upcoming generation. And so celebrities should beware of how they present themselves and what they do cos other lifes (and infact I call it destinies) are attached to theirs.

24. dammie fad says:

Babes! I support u fully, most naija videos doesn’t make sense, dey do all crap dat I hardly watch! Lolz@ some of †?? comments babes! U just a clown! Nice nywayz

25. Taiwo Adegbite says:

This is a nice article. We need to open our minds to things like this. We must be careful about what we allow youths to see. Also, artistes and ‘stars’ are role models for kids and youths. We don’t want our generation developing attitudes like this. It is not and cannot help our nation.
    We all say we want our nation to improve, but the question is what have we done as individuals to add to the progress of this nation. Our generation needs help. Articles like this are needed to put young minds on the right track.

26. ojo says:

Briilliant 1 it up

27. @stellmaritz says:

Go make money before u other words…money is not everything but make sure u have enough to live the kind of life u want..don’t judgE

28. Daudsmart says:

Nice piece.

29. Bash says:

This atitude of money spraying is not with d young generation only,even d elderly does dat in occations.I call it African philantrophysm. Writer u too much abeg. Kudos

30. seye Babalola says:

A piece that makes one sigh and ask yourself once again, “where are we headed?”. The irrational display of ‘opulence’ actually takes its origin from the generation before in which people tend to show off material things as a sign of comfort when in actual fact they are strugglers. God help us. Beautiful piece, God bless Pemi

31. Peedee Chig says:

Davdo’s case is really abt money miss road and hes a kid without values. 50cent cant be seen in thr same light, atleast not of late. He’s been giving soo much back with feeding millions of homes with his Street King #SK initiative. I just hope that more Nigerian celebrities will give more instead of being wasteful.

Kudos to Japheth @omojuwa. Ur doing a great job with your super blogs n tweets. keep it up!

32. chichi says:

I agree wit som of d tins said on dis blog bt I tink sm pple re using it against d guy,wen I heard d song I wasn’t xpecting d video 2 b abt him giving 2 d poor cos den it wudnt mk sense,sm1 said he sang dami duro bcos he’s fada is rich,I just wnt 2 ask was he’s fada poor wen he sang”back when”?bcos 4rm wat I hav heard dat guy has neva bin poor bt d lyrics says back wen I was broke,I believe its all entertainment.

33. Oba says:

I agree wit dz an upcomin 17 yrs old female artist n wat ah watch on tv is disgustn.neva mynd,ah wil bring sense bak,it cld b challengn though since ah wil b dealn wt alot of ’em but notn kan stop a dtamind tiger to devour its victmz

34. Vickie blue says:

I surport what the third to the last person said what is entertainment? Entertainment is what people do to make others laugh and be happy some one can say i love my life or i have a lover sing it as a song so they are all entertainment so dami duro is his own style every day people come out with new styles not because the person next to u have car and u don,t have u will go and borrow is not good u go with what u have pls he sing according to his dad,s money and i heared in an interview that before his father don,t use to give him money and he will tell his friends to send him airtime that was why he sang that song so u can do any thing to make people happy

35. True talk! It’s rather very piteous when people think success can be achieved by stealing money, or stalking up money. I want to state categorically that a fufilled life is not achieved by how much money one has made, but rather how many lifes one has positively touched. Let the youths beware!!! Money is not our God and can never be! So if you go about treting money like your life depends on it, I will say “sorry for you”. If you have all the money in the world and nobody loves you, life will be miserable. Therefore as you hustle for money be careful not to buy hatred on the way, because one day even that poor waiter may be the same man you will be waiting on. Nobody know finish…

36. Viano says:

Well, Nigeria has become a country where the rich oppress the poor. What else were you expecting to see? A country where justice is for the poor and the rich can do whatever they want and go free. As a result, the youth of today’s Nigeria want to get rich or die trying in order to show off as well. So, it has become a society where, if you have no money, you are nobody.

People no longer care about the sources of peoples riches, they will worship anyone with money even when they know a lot of crime went into making that money. SAD!

37. chiropractors in Austin

38. I had been just browsing in some places and got you just read this post. I must say that were inside hand of luck today otherwise getting such an excellent post to learn wouldn’t have been achievable for me, at least. Really appreciate your content.

39. I am very disappointed of level of this web page. I have never read so terrible texts, absolutely waste of time!

40. Thanks for the comment. I just got online for the first time 2 monthsago. I am an addict, but enjoying the new found discovery. Thanks again.

41. As for me it is a really good point of view. I meet people who rather say what they suppose others want to hear. Good and well written! I will come back to your site for sure!

42. On the World Wide Web, there are both commercial and free ha ha ha web pages. The bandwidth usage of a ha ha haography site is relatively high, and the income a free website can earn through banners may not be sufficient enough to cover the costs of the expences. One recent entry into the free ha ha haography web site market are TGP sites.

43. This is a amazing blog site packed with a good deal of knowledge. The following article is my favorite.

44. sup, I usually dont read these types of articles because I think the industry is falling off but you make a good point so im gonna link to this post on my site good looking!

45. It only goes to show where theres will theres a way. Keep on trying. What if nothing exists and were all in somebodys dream? Or whats worse, what if only that fat guy in the third row exists? Woody Allen Born 1935

46. trek lighthouse dangers depicted voter desert marion failure extensively iris complement

47. I image this might be numerous upon the written content material? nevertheless I nonetheless believe that it may be suitable for just about any type of topic material, because it could frequently be pleasant to resolve a warm and delightful face or possibly listen a voice whilst initial landing.

48. Ive been meaning to read this and just never acquired a chance. Its an issue that Im very interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a good blogger, one of the finest that Ive seen. This blog absolutely has some details on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this things to light.