10 Nuggets to Curbing Corruption in Nigeria.
Over the years,I’ve managed to build integrity with some people but
nonetheless, it can never be a 100%. Corruption has been since the
beginning of time and it will not go away easily only that we mostly
come across it in the political circle and Government. Taking a closer
look,We all have Our fair share of it. With insider trading, gambling, drug purchases and all,No wonder the kids of today have no one to look up to, so it’s up to the Parents and well meaning citizens to point out that there really are some good people out there who do good things for others.
By no means am I saying that everyone in government’s payroll or any
other group are corrupt, but unfortunately the good ones can’t voice
out because they are outnumbered.
Here are 15 apt ways We can gradually check this cankerworm:
1) Emolument Increase of Security Personnels: Increasing salaries of
Policemen and Judges makes the job so attractive that losing it would
be bad news.
2) Percentage Payable Incentive: Make a percentage payable to any
concerned parastatal for every project completed within time and
budget. Money would be shared to everyone in that department. This
prevents giving jobs to wrong contractors for monetary gains.
3) Judges Incentive : Give Judges an incentive for every case that is
settled within an alloted time. Bonus is given to encourage integrity
and workforce diligence.
4) Jail Term : mandatory 5 years imprisonment should be compulsory
for any corrupt worker (apart from confiscating properties and
earnings) as there should be no plea bargaining in our case today.
5) Make Integrity Meritable : We have decayed to this state due to
lack of this as mediocrity begets mediocrity. Reward those who have
served with their heads high and punish those who are found wanting.
6) Rejuvenate Education through Incentives : When a child passes well
through school,He should be rewarded as well. For those who do not
pass,another exam should be given to them as well as motivational
7) Make Election Appealing : If politics became everybody’s business
in Nigeria,corruption would reduce. Politicians would less likely be
corrupt if their election funding is majorly taken care of by the
populace. They would think of better projects to win election not
money changing hands.
8) Strenghten the Criminal Laws : Long jail terms,disbandment and
banishment from entering any political office should serve as a
deterrent for anyone veering into the dastardly act.
9) Moral Uprightness : Parents,Civil and religious societies all have
a role to play here. Teaching honest and moral behaviours right from
childhood rubs off on Our kids and peers and makes them responsible
for their future. We can begin this ourselves by returning stuff we
borrow,paying our taxes, condemning corrupt and shady deals/officials and
paying a fair price for everything.
10) Vote : Ensure to register to vote and vote in every election as
well as considering public office yourself.
It is easier to change ourselves than others and so by behaving
honestly and fairly, it is less likely those around us would continue
a bad habit of corruption.
Written by Toni Eghosa Ewone
Follow Me on Twitter @Eghosakruz and lets chart a new course for
Nigeria as youths ready for change. Better to light a candle than
curse the darkness.