Published:27 Nov, 2011

One tweet at a time became one city at a time

One tweet at a time became one city at a time

Let us leave Nigeria for a while, how far with your own life? I hope you are not a clueless ruler of your own existence? If you are not on twitter, go and open a twitter account before you continue this piece. It is for tweeps. I wrote an article almost two years ago when I spoke about making the most of social media (Succeeding Through Social Networking ). Since the article, I have done jobs with Prometheus Institute in the United States, I signed a new contract with the Atlas Economic Institute of the United States, I’ve had dealings with the World Bank and this promises even more in itself and as I write I am in the middle of discussions that’d make me do more for myself as an individual and ultimately my country.

This particular article has been on my mind for days but I finally decided to write it when I saw just minutes ago for the umpteenth time a tweet that said “nothing happens on twitter just talk talk,” and I was moved with pity for the loser. Like television and radio, people on twitter talk but while those who tweet that nothing is happening are indeed making up the numbers, others are closing deals and getting jobs. Without meaning to boast, I have directly helped to hire at least four people directly from twitter in the past three weeks. Yet nothing happens? Think about it, why would celebrities spend their precious time tweeting if nothing happened? Why would a boy be handling consultancy jobs for companies and government agencies from contacts made on twitter? This morning, I received a mail from a friend who had been hired to work in the Nigerian Senate and he got the job via twitter. I don’t want to talk about the Arab Spring, I want to limit the points to Nigeria. Though rigged again but the 2011 elections in Nigeria showed that twitter can be an effective tool for the democratic process in Nigeria. But this piece is about individuals and companies.

Like life itself, twitter has its winners and losers and even this changes with time. Imagine someone saying twitter is a waste of time. The same twitter I used to negotiate an international contract, the same twitter I said “I’d pay a tithe ” if they asked me. Open your eyes and your mind and see what you couldn’t see. While you are busy with twitfights (Fighting on twitter), another person is DMing (Direct Message) his bank details and getting instructions on products and services to deliver to people and places. While you are there setting P, another dude is there setting an agenda for his business and ideas. Yes, Nigeria is in a quagmire, in dire straits but people are making it. They are making it because they know that any social medium whether twitter, parties or events always offer an opportunity to sell yourself. Hate her or love her, Odinabarbie became a celebrated prostitute via twitter. I don’t know how much she charged before her twitter prominence but I know she charged more after that and obviously got better clients. Stop moaning especially when it has nothing to do with a good stimulation. The same Nigeria you complain about is the same place Tuface rose to become an internationally recognised celebrity, it is the same place Chimamanda came out from, it is the same Nigeria Gbenga Sesan became a consultant for international organisations, it is the same Nigeria Michelle Obama singled out Toyosi Akerele from. Now you have a free platform to share your wares and products, what are you doing with that shop window?

I am building a brand called Japheth J Omojuwa (omojuwa for short) and 98% of this brand has been sold via the internet and especially tweeter. The other two percent was because of the success I achieved via social media. My personal success from social media and the internet will fill a book but I won’t write a book until I have the time. We all have abilities and with capacity building and skill development you can even get better. Don’t tweet what you are not, tweet yourself and see if someone will not be interested in you or what you sell. I tested my tweet popularity early October and the stats said my last 50 tweets on that day had reached 73,790 people. No Nigerian newspaper has a reach like that! None! Where ever you see people, you see needs, wherever there are needs values are the solutions. People who create value earn money. Here are things you should pay attention to while tweeting and Retweeting…

• Always remember twitter is not just a playground, it is a boardroom of simultaneous interviews, it is a market of ideas, it is a shop window, it is everything you can see.

• You are your tweet. Whether or not you agree, people see your tweet and create your image in their minds. What images do your tweet create?

• Like life, there is time for everything on twitter. It is for fun first of all but who says money cannot be made for fun?

• Be strategic. Not everybody counts for you and your business except your business is for everybody but even then there is a few that influence the lot, target them. It works.

• Your tweets appear on Google. What kind of words will bring your name and tweets out on twitter? I did a job for an American company that resulted from him googling things concerning Nigeria and finding my name.

• There is more to learn but why not talk to me? Companies and individuals are trusting me with their online and social media strategies and succeeding, why not you?

I said to two of my friends who wanted to start websites while we were at the University that starting then was the best thing because whatever plans they had for the future, they’d be trailing the blaze from that time. Two weeks ago one of them spoke about starting a website. Right before their eyes, started, right before our eyes it will become a global brand. It is not a mistake, it is a strategic plan that was put to work and has found God’s grace to succeed. What is your plan?

PS: It is never too late to start cashing-in on the opportunities that abound here. Get started.

44 thoughts on “TWITTER: CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET?”

1. Aminu Argungu says:

rlly inspiring, we, your followers, some of us are high earning individuals even in the turmoil of order we find our country. You voice our anger n we love you for tht. Keep it up Omo, God is looking at all of us including them.

2. ba55ey says:

Not surprised! Another GREAT piece of an article!! I endorse this for people already popular on twitter

3. samsiiiiie says:

Dear bassey,
    After reading this entire article you endorse it for those already popular on twitter.I hear u.

4. Simileoluwa says:

Hmmmmn. Food for thought.

5. SnazzyDawn says:

Very true… my customer base has increased immensely and I daresay, 50% of those who patronise me are from Twitter… My business is located in Uyo, but I bake cakes and send to places outside here,thanks to my followers…let others be there and be saying that twitter is for unserious people…
    Interesting writeup,Omojuwa…more power to you…

6. Doeyjoey says:

I opened my Twitter account October 16,2010.I never took it serious until I started ffn u. Tnx a lot. U r a major highlight in my 2011.

7. Azeenarh says:

Tell them Japhet! For those who thought social media was ONLY for fun and games…this is a wake up call.

8. pheesayor says:

Omojuwa is fast becoming my mentor…

9. Hi Omojuwa,

Your recent article is very inspiring. We at O1M admire your success. We have tried several times to reach out to you, but to no avail. We are not in this fight for fame nor fortune.

What we do is for Love of Country. Your intellect and vast experience will be needed to move O1M forward. We only launched our organization about a month ago

We are calling on all Nigerian’s on Nov 29th to show their true colors,.show Nigeria we love, wear your Green White Green. It’s a day of Patriotism and Solidarity. We have to start showing more love for Nigeria. Your expertise and collaboration will be needed in restoring Nigeria back. We are all looking for a better Nigeria. We at O1M wish you all the best, keep fighting for Nigeria.

Rahab Omodiwa
    National Coordinator

10. Tsonyi says:

Errr…. U didn’t add that u tweet for Mallam and u get paid for that too.

11. Tsonyi says:

@Pheesayor, I’m really sorry for u if u Omojuwa is fast becoming ur mentor. He’s just a pathetic pawn in a political game. Don’t be deceived!!

12. Simileoluwa says:

Let’s assume he tweets for mallam nd gets paid, @ least he’s being paid for work he’s doing. Who’s paying you for hating?

13. Bashy says:

This is wake up call for Nigerian youth.

14. Wale Olalere says:

Absolutely an eye opener.

15. yusuf says:

At least he is doing something that is inspiring and motivation…Hating won’t stop him and us his follower,it would only make us stronger…Am inspired

16. Baba Gana Tella says:

Wonderful, am inspired

17. A masterpiece! Keep it up!

18. Abdulmumin says:

Hmm for me as your follower on tweeter i never regret it because you put on knowledge on me evry day i came aboard and saw your writeup. For me this is a wakeup to all

19. shineskybaba says:

nice one there bro.your tweets are inspiring and i pray that your dreams will come true.

20. adebiyi adekunle says:

Japhet why A????? i just seein D?????i?????$…nw A????? with ur team…u remember M???????????

21. Shecrown says:

Way to go… This is inspiring you are major part of my 2012. Thank you

22. Shecrown says:

Oh… already rushing.. 2011 i meant..@Tsonyi pls do ur self a favour by getting a life! stop HATING

23. Hollalaykan says:

Finally someone spoke my mind . I was waiting for TENIN’s music to have atleast 60% audience from the global population before I write something like this so alot of people can understand that there are loads of opportunities out there on the social media. My only regret on Twitter so far was Banky W blocking me not cos of anything but cos I was new to Twitter then and all I thought of it was just fun and I never stop making jokes of him even though my friends know I am like one of his craziest fans. That didnt stop me from supporting his music , fortunately, it changed my thinking towards the social media . I understood it shouldnt be used just for fun but a very good networking tool. Not everyone will see your tweets as mere jokes , alot of people will see those tweets are your personalty. Once again , Omojuwa thanks for sharing this I am inspired to even reach further .. God bless you .. however, u should share a % of those goodies for we your twitter fans oo

24. Gadro 7:14 says:

Nothing could be more apt about social engineering than this piece.
    I read just one of your tweets to know the brand called @omojuwa.
    You are highly geared.
    You can only keep it up.

25. samuel F says:

I am in live with your writeups. Thanks, dont deter

26. isah says:

Whao, excellently detailed. I doubt if there is a motivator of your calibre these days. You inspire people daily, and that in itself is a huge achievement. My confidence about the future was reinforced the moment I learnt about brand Keep up the good work.

27. Tope Sunmonu (@bdotbody) says:

What??? Here I was appreciating d info,entertainment nd d rest by just following interesting Tweeps!!hmmmm…thanks @omojuwa 4 dis eye opener! #thinkingcapon!Mayb I should just start by intro my hotel here….if u @ anytime find urself in Akure Ondo state,4 biz or on a visit…B-DOT Hotel is d place 2 lodge!Home away frm home!

28. Faronbi Gbemi says:

This is an excellent article.Truely,you are an inspirational leader.I can’t just do without reading ur tweets in a day.God bless Omojuwa.

29. Fahad Ashiru says:

very nice piece. we really need to wake up and face reality, think rationally and make positive results out of every opportunity as it comes. twitter is indeed a place where lives can be changed but only people with “eyes” can see that. hopefully articles like this will bring those that are in darkness into the light. God Bless.

30. Ifeoluwapo says:

Interesting, enlightening and an eye-opener. Another example of the fact that irrespective of where you are, opportunities abound. thanks and keep up the good work.

31. Adegbesan Kayode says:

A good piece there sir, now am fully aware of the opportunities that abound on twitter. Thanks

32. Fiyinfoluwa Elegbede says:

Awesome! The power and influence of (social) Networking.

33. Olusola says:

Thanks 4 dat luvly piece, it is an eye opener. I used to write about mobile communication developments but… Now I have found renew strength reading your article. Once again thank you.

34. rukkie says:

What a inspiring write-up! May God continue ???? uplift you and make you bigger.

35. Passerby says:

Ordinabarbie was suspended by twitter. You need to update the article to cite nakambitch.

36. Adejumo Solomon Aderemi says:

Great piece from a great friend. I have always believed and accepted that the social media is the major determinant between succcess and failure I?????n????? the 21st century. This article is a further comfirmation. I ????? the balance that you can m???k?????? G??????????.??????D??? money whilst catching your fun. Yet twitter like many other social media benefits the wise not only I?????n????? terms of money making but also I?????n????? terms of realising our visions for existence. Thanks Omojuwa.
    Your friend,

37. Iranloye damilola says:

Very true, I just joined twitter last year and I got an internship with @deoluakinyemi via twitter, also got to talk with donald trump, wonder how long it would have taken me to do this off twitter (a followback would be appreciated @damiranz)

38. AsadKoya says:

This is a very great advice from a great and outspoken person… I’m liking this man

39. Japh says:

This was written in 2011. Iranloye I will follow you now 🙂

40. truthbetold says:

Great article. Weldone Omojuwa.

41. yemi says:

Thanks for the useful insights.

42. TM says:

Excellent article! It was through twitter I learnt about your work re: the Green Deal Nigeria project and mentioned you to PKD. Even though it seemed we were running after you at some point cos u were so busy:) I’ve learnt a lot thru this article. Well done!

43. Adeyemo Olabode says:

Nice piece. Its just that my way might not be ur way. If it has been destined that u will make ur monet via street,white color job etc no amount of tweets can make u millionaire but we’ll give it a trial